Sneezing Fit - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Owned by a Havallon
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 919
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
Sneezing Fit

We had a scare with Mia this week. She was eating grass and suddenly appeared to be choking. She seemed to work this out but then for the next day whenever she would move she started reverse sneezing which she rarely ever does. I called the vet who said as long as she was breathing okay to give Benadryl in case this was an allergy. Mia has never had allergies but tried the Benadryl as the vet suggested for two days. This did not help. The evening of the second day she was in her crate and had a super violent sneezing fit. This was a regular sneeze...not reverse sneeze. It was so scary I called the emergency after hours vet ready to take her in. However, they suggested I wait until the next day and take her to the regular vet. Mia did calm down but would not eat her dinner which is crazy for her. Mia loves food and has never missed a meal in her entire life!!! Yesterday she was at the vet all day for observation and they also checked her out thoroughly. All blood work normal, no heart worms, nose and throat looked good as far as they could tell. She does have slight tartar build up on one side of mouth but gums looked good. Mia did not sneeze once at the vet. We brought her home and it has now been 40 hours since the big sneeze and she has not sneezed once. I am wondering if the violent sneeze dislodged whatever was bothering her. Very scary experience.
mudpuppymama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,509
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 335 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppymama View Post
We had a scare with Mia this week. She was eating grass and suddenly appeared to be choking. She seemed to work this out but then for the next day whenever she would move she started reverse sneezing which she rarely ever does. I called the vet who said as long as she was breathing okay to give Benadryl in case this was an allergy. Mia has never had allergies but tried the Benadryl as the vet suggested for two days. This did not help. The evening of the second day she was in her crate and had a super violent sneezing fit. This was a regular sneeze...not reverse sneeze. It was so scary I called the emergency after hours vet ready to take her in. However, they suggested I wait until the next day and take her to the regular vet. Mia did calm down but would not eat her dinner which is crazy for her. Mia loves food and has never missed a meal in her entire life!!! Yesterday she was at the vet all day for observation and they also checked her out thoroughly. All blood work normal, no heart worms, nose and throat looked good as far as they could tell. She does have slight tartar build up on one side of mouth but gums looked good. Mia did not sneeze once at the vet. We brought her home and it has now been 40 hours since the big sneeze and she has not sneezed once. I am wondering if the violent sneeze dislodged whatever was bothering her. Very scary experience.
Kodi once did something very similar, also after getting into some dried grasses. Like you, when it went on for a long time, I called the vet, who said to bring him in. Like Mia, once he was there, he never did it again. They checked him out as carefully as they could, other than sedating him and passing a tube into his airways. Both the vet and I decided that since he wasn't DOING it anymore, that might be overkill at that point. I took him home and he never did it again.

Like you and your vet, we finally decided that all that violent sneezing must have finally done their job and knocked loose whatever was irritating him! But yeah, scary while it was going on!!!
mudpuppymama likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 2,118
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 50 Posts
So happy to hear m-m-m-Mia appears to be okay now. Ricky takes 1/2 Benadryl daily, crushed and mixed in with breakfast per Vet's direction. Sometimes he will have reverse sneezing but not often. I discourage him from eating grass of any kind, particularly lawn grass. There can be some really nasty stuff on that grass and I do not permit him to walk on artificial turf, that is worse than lawn grass.

Ricky's Popi
mudpuppymama likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN

Ricky Ricardo is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Owned by a Havallon
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 919
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
I only let Mia eat our own grass which I know does not have chemicals on it. She does not eat it too often but seems to like it in spring. I guess dogs are more resilient than we think and often resolve their own issues. It is hard to know when to go to the vet or when to give it more time. In fact sometimes I think as soon as you make a vet appointment the problem disappears!!!! Which is a good thing I guess. It was almost time for her regular checkup anyway so I was lucky to kill two birds with one stone!
krandall and Ricky Ricardo like this.
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Dexter’s mom
 
kshpenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes yesterday morning Dexter came in and was limping quite badly on one paw and licking it nonstop. He wouldn’t let me look at it either. Since it was a Friday I decided not to take any chances so took him to the vet about two hours later. By the time we got to the vet he seemed fine. I felt like I had to try to convince them that he really was limping and I didn’t just want to take up time or money��. Anyway I was glad he was ok and it seems like he either got a thorn or a piece of mulch stuck on the side of his foot and his incessant licking dislodged it. So I do think that dogs can be quite resilient but hard to sit back and not fix it for them! Glad your baby is ok now!
mudpuppymama and EvaE1izabeth like this.

Last edited by kshpenn; 05-16-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Wrong word used
kshpenn is online now  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Owned by a Havallon
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 919
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshpenn View Post
Yes yesterday morning Dexter came in and was limping quite badly on one paw and licking it nonstop. He wouldn’t let me look at it either. Since it was a Friday I decided not to take any chances so took him to the vet about two hours later. By the time we got to the vet he seemed fine. I felt like I had to try to convince them that he really was limping and I didn’t just want to take up time or money��. Anyway I was glad he was ok and it seems like he either got a thorn or a piece of mulch stuck on the side of his foot and his incessant licking dislodged it. So I do think that dogs can be quite resilient but hard to sit back and not fix it for them! Glad your baby is ok now!
Thank you. So glad Dexter is better! Agree...hard to sit back and not do something! But I sometimes think the vet thinks l am a hypochondriac dog mom. As far as the limping you described, this has happened several times and it turned out to be something in the paw pad. Be sure to watch for acorn shells...those can definitely be a problem. One time Mia had a tick in there!!! Yikes! I try to keep them super trimmed up or else they can get a mat there.
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 2,118
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshpenn View Post
Yes yesterday morning Dexter came in and was limping quite badly on one paw and licking it nonstop. He wouldn’t let me look at it either. ..................... it seems like he either got a thorn or a piece of mulch stuck on the side of his foot and his incessant licking dislodged it.
About three years ago, we were on one of our trips to Mexico and Ricky got a cactus thorn embedded in his front paw pad. These thorns are less then 1/4 inch long and very tiny, so hard to see. We didn't know what was bothering him. he was constantly biting and licking his front pad. After three days of this, we took him to our Mexican Vet down there. He examined Ricky and determined it was a cactus thorn. It was completely embedded, so hard to see if you didn't know what to look for. The Vet showed me the spot and I still couldn't see it. It was infected as a result of Ricky's saliva and dirt. He said he sees this quite often in his practice. He put some external medication on the area which would hasten the natural dissolvement of the thorn, gave us some topical anti-itch ointment to apply to the pad, and a weeks supply of antibiotic tablets. Next day he was much improved and day 2 he was over it. The Mexican Vet said it was good that we brought him in because these kind of things can often (but not always) lead to more serious side effect problems. Based on our experience, I think you did the right thing.

Ricky's Popi

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN


Last edited by Ricky Ricardo; 05-16-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,509
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 335 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
About three years. we were on one of our trips to Mexico and Ricky got a cactus thorn embedded in his front paw pad. These thorns are less then 1/4 inch long and very tiny, so hard to see. We didn't know what was bothering him. he was constantly biting and licking his front pad. After three days of this, we took him to our Mexican Vet down there. He examined Ricky and determined it was a cactus thorn. It was completely embedded, so hard to see if you didn't know what to look for. The Vet showed me the spot and I still couldn't see it. It was infected as a result of Ricky's saliva and dirt. He said he sees this quite often in his practice. He put some external medication on the area which would hasten the natural dissolvement of the thorn, gave us some topical anti-itch ointment to apply to the pad, and a weeks supply of antibiotic tablets. Next day he was much improved and day 2 he was over it. The Mexican Vet said it was good that we brought him in because these kind of things can often (but not always) lead to more serious side effect problems. Based on our experience, I think you did the right thing.

Ricky's Popi
I can just imagine how far a cactus thorn can embed in a dog's paw! When I spoke in Mexico last, some of the folks took me out into the desert to see a special place where many different types of cactus were blooming. It was beautiful, but I only had sneakers with me, not hiking boots. I walked carefully, but still, that evening, when we got back to the hotel, I felt some uncomfortable spots on the INSIDE of my sneaker. One of the guys had me take my sneaker off, went under the insole, and with pliers removed two long thorns that had worked all the way THROUGH the tough rubber of good sneakers!!! I can just imaging how easily they could go through a dogs pads!!!

It was an awfully pretty place, but not a good place for dogs, I think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 03 15 Mexico-279-Edit-2.jpg (92.5 KB, 2 views)


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 06:00 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 2,118
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 50 Posts


This is a typical cactus in the Sonoran Desert of Baja California: Ferocactus cylindraceus and goes by several common names- California Barrel Cactus, Red Barrel Cactus, Common Barrel Cactus, etc. You will see acres and acres of these cacti in various places and when the light is right, the area will light up in a reddish purple glow. However, don't mess with it unless you like pain, lots of pain! Don't ask me how I know. And when imbedded in a human, the pain can last for days without medical treatment!
krandall likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN


Last edited by Ricky Ricardo; 05-16-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Owned by a Havallon
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 919
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
We watch lots of YouTube RV channels. One of the biggest fears for the RV dog owners is thorns out west.
Ricky Ricardo likes this.
mudpuppymama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome