Moving crate outside the bedroom - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ellie NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 442
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Moving crate outside the bedroom

Help! My allergies and asthma (which has been dormant for about 25 years) have gotten progressively worse these past 3 or so weeks. These last few nights have been particularly bad as I wake up wheezing and gasping for air. I'm going to see the allergist today to hopefully surpress and better manage the symptoms. I know he's going to tell me to move Eli out of our bedroom.

I remember the first painful month when we got Eli and tried to get him to sleep downstairs. That was a total flop as he cried and whined for hours. When we finally brought his crate into our bedroom it was like the sun came out - he quieted down and slept all night and so did we! I know he won't take well to being moved out of our bedroom. Can anyone suggest an effective, gentle, loving, Ferber-like method to moving him out to another room? Thank you!

P.S. I did a search on the site but couldn't find the threads that talked about this.

Last edited by Ellie NY; 03-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Ellie NY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie NY View Post
Help! My allergies and asthma (which has been dormant for about 25 years) have gotten progressively worse these past 3 or so weeks. These last few nights have been particularly bad as I wake up wheezing and gasping for air. I'm going to see the allergist today to hopefully surpress and better manage the symptoms. I know he's going to tell me to move Eli out of our bedroom.

I remember the first painful month when we got Eli and tried to get him to sleep downstairs. That was a total flop as he cried and whined for hours. When we finally brought his crate into our bedroom it was like the sun came out - he quieted down and slept all night and so did we! I know he won't take well to being moved out of our bedroom. Can anyone suggest an effective, gentle, loving, Ferber-like method to moving him out to another room? Thank you!

P.S. I did a search on the site but couldn't find the threads that talked about this.
I am sorry your allergies are so bad right now. No matter what he will be upset for awhile. Maybe a radio would help. and put a personal idem of yours in the crate. I have a friend who has not had asthma for years and she is so sick right now maybe it is not Eli.

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Lizzie'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Ellie, I have absolutely no advice for you. Just wanted to tell you I am sorry about your asthma and I hope that you have luck with the move. Lizzie was carrying on so at night that she is now in our bed and all is well.

Lynne-Lizzie's mom
Lizzie'sMom is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Julie
 
Pipersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,441
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sorry you're having this problem, I know how miserable allergies can make you feel. Unfortunately, I don't know that there's an easy way to do this. It took Piper about 3 nights of crying and barking to get used to the kitchen and I just had to get through it (very difficult).

I did get a Honeywell air cleaner for my bedroom-have you tried this yet? It has helped me and Piper is now in the bedroom.

Julie, Piper and Riley

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ellie NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 442
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipersmom View Post
I'm sorry you're having this problem, I know how miserable allergies can make you feel. Unfortunately, I don't know that there's an easy way to do this. It took Piper about 3 nights of crying and barking to get used to the kitchen and I just had to get through it (very difficult).

I did get a Honeywell air cleaner for my bedroom-have you tried this yet? It has helped me and Piper is now in the bedroom.
I do have a HEPA but I need to change the filter. I also use anti-allergy shampoo on him once a week but I may up it to every 5 days. He's blowing coat anyway so that will help with the matting.

I think I can tolerate his crying for 3 nights but I have my doubts about whether DH will. Hopefully, he'll feel a little sorrier for me than "his baby".
Ellie NY is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Julie
 
Pipersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,441
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie NY View Post
I think I can tolerate his crying for 3 nights but I have my doubts about whether DH will. Hopefully, he'll feel a little sorrier for me than "his baby".
This may make it a little easier-I put a very high value treat in the back of the crate so she had to get in to get it. Once she was in I handed her another one through the side of the crate as I was closing the door.

Still, it took nerves of steel that first night. The howling! It sounded like there was a wolf in my kitchen. You may have to physically restrain your husband. The second night there was about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of crying, about 1/2 hour the third night and then it was fine. I hope it goes better for you.

I'm really hoping the air cleaner does the trick because now that Piper's in the bedroom I don't want to have to go through that process again.

Julie, Piper and Riley

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
My allergies go nuts when the weather/temperature changes. I am very allergic to mold and pollens... mildly allergic to dust, flowers, grass, trees, dogs, cats, rabbits, down.... Yeah, it sucks. Spring and Fall are my worst times of the year.

It probably isn't Eli but he probably is contributing a little. You may want to have your hubby do his grooming for a while anyway. Or maybe wear a mask? Why risk aggravating your allergies more. Definitely move him out of your room. Be a cold-hearted mommy. (it will be awful. )

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 4,515
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I can sympathize with both your problems! The trees are blooming here and it is pretty awful. I can't stand a crying dog so Abby ended up in our bed from nearly the beginning - two days! Maybe get some ear plugs but you will definitely have to harden your heart for a couple of nights - not easy!

Kathie, Abby & McGee's Mom
Kathie is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
unjugetito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 155
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
You could have hubby sleep in living room with him for a couple nights until he gets used to change of sleeping arrangements. I remember weaning my kids that way LOL
unjugetito is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ellie NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 442
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjugetito View Post
You could have hubby sleep in living room with him for a couple nights until he gets used to change of sleeping arrangements. I remember weaning my kids that way LOL
LOL. Yeah, that is SO not going to happen. The one thing DH might love more than me and Eli (combined) is his bed.
Ellie NY is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome