Need your thoughts - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cherin36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 113
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need your thoughts

My sister and her family met Chewy and fell in love. They have been considering a puppy for a whileand decided that a havanese would be a great addition to their family. They called Chewy's breeder and she has a puppy that became available and is ready to go home in 2 weeks. The pup is actually a "full brother" of Chewy's. I know that isn't the technical term, but that is how I see it. My sister and her family really want the puppy but didn't think one would become available so soon. They have plans to travel this summer (not the entire summer) but don't want to leave a new puppy with someone while they are gone...which I totally understand...so they are torn. I had an idea but not sure if it is a good one. Of course, my sister and I would discuss this with the breeder, but wanted your opinion...if the majority of you think it is a really bad idea then we will probably pass on the option all together.
I was thinking that John and I would pick up the puppy and "raise" him until the end of July...we will not be traveling during this time. Here are my concerns...you all might have many more I have not thought of...
1. Will the puppy have an issue going from the breeder to our house and then his new forever home in this period of time?
2. Will Chewy suffer mentally from having a "brother" and then having him leave?
3. Will Chewy be able to play with other pups while this dog is not fully vaccinated...I am assuming this isn't a good idea. We can probably get around this but Chewy will have to go outside to potty thus being exposed to where other dogs have been...we live in Manhattan so this is unavoidable.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to be completely honest.
Cherin36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin36 View Post
My sister and her family met Chewy and fell in love. They have been considering a puppy for a whileand decided that a havanese would be a great addition to their family. They called Chewy's breeder and she has a puppy that became available and is ready to go home in 2 weeks. The pup is actually a "full brother" of Chewy's. I know that isn't the technical term, but that is how I see it. My sister and her family really want the puppy but didn't think one would become available so soon. They have plans to travel this summer (not the entire summer) but don't want to leave a new puppy with someone while they are gone...which I totally understand...so they are torn. I had an idea but not sure if it is a good one. Of course, my sister and I would discuss this with the breeder, but wanted your opinion...if the majority of you think it is a really bad idea then we will probably pass on the option all together.
I was thinking that John and I would pick up the puppy and "raise" him until the end of July...we will not be traveling during this time. Here are my concerns...you all might have many more I have not thought of...
1. Will the puppy have an issue going from the breeder to our house and then his new forever home in this period of time?
2. Will Chewy suffer mentally from having a "brother" and then having him leave?
3. Will Chewy be able to play with other pups while this dog is not fully vaccinated...I am assuming this isn't a good idea. We can probably get around this but Chewy will have to go outside to potty thus being exposed to where other dogs have been...we live in Manhattan so this is unavoidable.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to be completely honest.
Their are a lot of breeders who keep their pups tell they are six mo old and then go to their forever homes.
Does your sister live very far from you?
Deep in my heart I think it would be hard to seperate them after that length of time. Your breeder will probably have another litter. And it would be hard on you and your family.
I got Zoey three mo after Maddie the house training went a bit backwards tell it finally turned around just recently and that has been 3mo.
I think I would wait tell fall.

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cherin36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 113
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is it "ok" to ask the breeder to keep the puppy if they pay for him upfront and even pay extra for her to keep him until end of July? My sister asked me that but I didn't think that was an option.
My sister lives in Atlanta and we are in NYC so not close.
I am more concerned about Chewy's feelings than ours. I know I would become attached but the puppy is for my oldest niece who is like a daughter to me so nothing would make me happier than to help this work out for her. I know she would love the puppy as much as I love Chewy....I know I am saying this though not having done it yet!
Thanks for your advice!!
Cherin36 is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 36 Posts
I think either way would work. As long as the puppy is in a safe, warm, loving environment and either you or the breeder are raising him as your sister would (crate training, potty training, etc...) I think the puppy will adjust just fine. As for your dog, he might have a hard time transitioning to having a brother, then where did he go?? Depends on your dogs temperment... hopefully the experts will chime in soon!

Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
LilyMyLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 332
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would wait until the next litter. I have not heard of breeders keeping dogs for six months unless they are waiting to see if it will be a show prospect.

Its good for the puppy to go to its forever home and bond with its people when its young in my opinion, like a baby does. It forms a secure attachment. You could move the dog around and it might not have attachment issues but thats a very slim chance.

Also, if they go on a trip every summer, are they the right family for a Hav? They may want to think about it. I think someone has a quote on here that says "I didnt get a Havanese, I got a lifestyle" and thats so true. Lily comes with me on every trip-I made arrangements when she was coming home to not work for the first few weeks so I could be home with her. People who do leave their Havs when they travel leave them with a very trusted friend or dog sitter and for a short time.

They can be very sensitive, attached little companion animals, you really have to factor them into your plans, and if you can't do it at the beginning, another breed or pet may be a better fit for your family.

Best luck with whatever they decide!


Meghan

Meghan
LilyMyLove is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
LilyMyLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 332
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I should ask-how long will they be gone for, and how long would the dog be spending with you?

Meghan
LilyMyLove is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cherin36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 113
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
He would spend mid-April until end of July with us. My sister will be gone for a total of about 4 weeks this summer. Not 4 weeks consecutively but 4 weeks throughout that period of time. She doesn't think it is fair to the puppy to bring him home and then leave him with someone else every few weeks while they are on vacation. She wants the puppy to have consistency and plenty of time to bond with the family without uprooting him every couple of weeks.
Cherin36 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
pjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,941
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
If you keep the puppy for several months, do you realistically think you'll be able to part with it? I do think your Chewy would miss the puppy when it moved on, but then again, many people here foster dogs and their fur family have to get used to having another dog around, then having it go.

I think you and your sister have to take an objective look at the situation to determine whether you could make it work. For the puppy, there would be an additional adjustment, but all the rescued dogs go through a time with a foster family before moving on to their forever homes.

You, your sister and the breeder should all discuss it before making a decision IMHO.

<b>Just Milo and me, and . . . </b>Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cherin36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 113
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, one more thing...totally agree about the vacation point, however these plans were made months ago. My sister was looking to get a puppy this fall....it is just circumstances I stated in my first post that has them now torn.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Cherin36 is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cherin36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 113
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO? Sorry, I am bad with the acronyms. I think that is a very valid question as to whether we could part with the puppy. Having never done this before, I obviously can not give a definitive answer. However, since I would be doing this for my sister and her family, I am pretty confident. The puppy would still be part of my family, he would be my nephew instead of my son.
Cherin36 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome