vaccinations - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
vaccinations

since django was a puppy, he has not responded well to any vaccinations in particular rabies. after his addisons diagnosis, i have had him tittered for all vaccinations. i also had a great vet prior to this one who would agree not to give django specific shots because of his reaction to them.

i spoke with the vet at his last visit and was concerned about his rabies shot which he's scheduled to have next month. last time django had a rabies shot he had a fever for days, was out of it for days etc. etc. etc. the vet said we could titer him for rabies. if it came back he was not a carrier, he would not need a shot. this would be a huge relief for me, i don't know how he would handle another rabies shot.

this posting is more as an FYI, if you have concerns about vaccinations for you dog, it's worth the expense to have them tittered. no need to give them what they don't need. django has not had any vaccinations other than rabies since he was a 2 and i am hoping no more rabies as well after this next titter.
littlebuddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
since django was a puppy, he has not responded well to any vaccinations in particular rabies. after his addisons diagnosis, i have had him tittered for all vaccinations. i also had a great vet prior to this one who would agree not to give django specific shots because of his reaction to them.

i spoke with the vet at his last visit and was concerned about his rabies shot which he's scheduled to have next month. last time django had a rabies shot he had a fever for days, was out of it for days etc. etc. etc. the vet said we could titer him for rabies. if it came back he was not a carrier, he would not need a shot. this would be a huge relief for me, i don't know how he would handle another rabies shot.

this posting is more as an FYI, if you have concerns about vaccinations for you dog, it's worth the expense to have them tittered. no need to give them what they don't need. django has not had any vaccinations other than rabies since he was a 2 and i am hoping no more rabies as well after this next titter.
I think it's up to your state and municipality whether they will accept a titer on Rabies. That said, Missy was able to get a waiver for Cash on his Rabies vaccine because he has gotten so sick from it more than once. So that's another possibility to look into.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 4,515
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
McGee is supposed to go in next week for his last puppy shot and his rabies. I'm thinking of putting off the rabies for a week or two after the shot. Any thoughts on this?

The last time he had his shot the vet warned he may feel a little lethargic and feverish and to give him 1/2 baby aspirin if needed. Well, that night he and Abby were wrestling all over the place so I was glad to see he wasn't affected! I did insist that he NOT give him the lepto since my breeder recommended against it and also have heard it here on the forum. It is prevalent here but our dogs lead a pretty sheltered life so I feel it is not worth the risk.

Kathie, Abby & McGee's Mom
Kathie is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
i would wait. my dog had the same reaction. when i had to give my dog his first round of vaccinations i would spread them over the 2 weeks to avoid any problems.
littlebuddy is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
I agree, and my vet recommends the same for both cats AND dogs if people are willing to make the extra trips to the vet... a MINIMUM of 2 weeks between each vaccine... if possible, 4 weeks between another vaccine and Rabies.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome