Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both dog and cat allergies. I also purchased a Hav because of allergy considerations. I have had allergic reactions to my Eli and on one occasion needed to seek medical help to get them under control. I take many precautions like bathing him weekly, keeping the house emaculate, keeping him out of my bedroom, using a HEPA filter, taking medication, etc... I would say that if you had an allergic reaction, boy or girl dog, it's likely you have a sensitivity which will NOT go away. So, should you get a Hav be prepared that it's something you'll need to deal with.
In a house with many hypoallergenic dogs (doesn't matter what gender) the environment is full of dander and saliva (the allergy triggers). I don't think there's a way to isolate whether the allergy was from female or male since it's all over the place no matter how clean the house is. That may be why you reacted so quickly, even if the reaction was mild. You might find after taking your puppy home that you're ok but the allergens do build up in your house over time.
Not trying to talk you out of anything. I'm simply being truthful because the worst thing you can do is to get rid of your dog after you get them because of allergies. Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by Ellie NY; 05-16-2011 at 01:40 PM.