an expert and a non expert player? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Mom to 2 Monsters
 
katkoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 397
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile an expert and a non expert player?

For multipe Hav owners (or multiple pup owners), is there a certain game where more than one Hav enjoys playing? if so, does one play it better than the other one?

My answer is "yes" to both questions. What about you?

Fetch is the malts' favorite game. One is an expert at the game (Snowy). The other one is not as good at playing it (Crystal) so when the expert is playing along, he is always the first to catch and retriever the ball; nevertheless, she never misses a run after the ball despite the fact that she doesn't succeed at catching it before he does.

What I typically do though is help Crystal by throwing it towards her @one throw (so Crystal catches it) and then throwing it normally without directing it at one's direction @another throw (so Snowy catches it).

Each gets his/her catch of the ball.

In the bellow photos though, I was holding the camera at one hand and throwing at another hand.

Because I was snapping the photos, I couldn't focus at two things at a time (help Crystal, hold camera and snap the photos). I also didn't have anyone to help, so Crystal got 0 help or you can call, cheat at this game....and here is how it went.

squeaky funny face toy is what we used as a ball to retrieve.


The expert at the game


I think you would be able to figure out who is who in the bellow picture after reading the above explanation


one brings back the ball, the other one licks her nose lol


yet another run back.


Crystal doesn't give up, even after 10+ throws to fetch.
Crystal: "Listen up Snowy!!! if I could not catch the ball before you to fetch it back, I'm gonna........





Crystal: ".....fetch YOU back"


compete normal Snowy and Crystal at home!

Crystal can't play ball as good as Snowy. She does catch and fetches *if* I helped her or if Snowy wasn't around to play the game with her, but if he was there, she can't catch the ball before him. What she does,instead, is fetch him back if she realized that she didn't catch the ball after many efforts of trying to and how does Snowy react? as patient as ever . He does not get angry mad or moody or whatever awwh he honestly makes a perfect brother. I am confident that he will do super well with a new puppy at home. I am guessing that Crystal will be ok with the idea. I mean she is good with the family's other pets, beside Snowy.

For the ones with multiple Havs or other pups, is there a game where both pups love/enjoy but one is better at playing than the other one? If so, how do they play it? Or do your pups have different interests? Maybe you play with them separately?

I look forward to reading your stories with your adorable Havs

+ Kat, Crystal & Snowy's Personal Assistant
"2 marvellous Maltese monsters; together they make a mini snow blizzard!" clare
Kat hopes to also add a Hav one day so that he can join the wild crew!

Last edited by katkoota; 06-25-2011 at 07:28 AM.
katkoota is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 132
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, they are ADORABLE and the photos are amazing!! Wow.

Fionn has fetch half way down. He will run after his toy when I throw it, he just hasn't figured out if he drops it at my feet I'll throw it again. He holds it in his mouth and I've been teaching him "give" which is pretty good at. Any suggestions on how to get him to drop it for me rather than me retrieving it from him? He loves to run and fetch and it's great exercise for him.
Pooch is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,646
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Kat, I ALWAYS look forward to your stories and photos! You must be on a break from school right now, where you have more time to take and post pictures of the Malts? Thank you for being so generous with your stories and photos of them.

My two guys love fetch too (but they don't catch - they retrieve ). Finn is nearly 16 weeks and he is not as good as Augie - Augie always gets there first - but Augie is so good at sharing - he goes after it but he usually will 'let' Finn retrieve, if they are playing this game together. Then he will run along side of him on the way back like he is Finn's 'protector'. If Augie does retrieve first, Finn goes after it and then it sometimes turns into tug of war, especially if I am throwing the Skineez toys - the long limp ones with a squeaker and no stuffing. I will be curious to see how this dynamic changes as Finn gets older as it appears he is going to be a much larger dog than Augie.....unless he slows down growing soon. I was fairly sure that Augie would be a good older brother, but it has been so much fun to watch it actually happen. When they wrestle, he is also careful with Finn, although as Finn gets older and bigger, I can see the energy level escalate. And once in awhile Augie will have to take Finn down, put him on his back and pin him for a bit, to put him in his place I guess, then he lets him pop up and play will resume. It is very silent play for the most part. There is no growling or yipping or squealing.

Pooch - when we were teaching Augie to fetch, he would not let the toy go, so we would give him a small treat and cheer when he dropped it. He would race after the toy, retrieve, and race back and practically throw it at my feet for that tiny treat. Finn does a fairly good job of bringing it back and dropping it with no treat involved. Wonderful game to tire them out! We play this game in the house and use soft toys, Skineez or I have several small sherpa discs with squeakers inside because my aim is not always so good and nothing gets hurt with them.

Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,525
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Kat, your photos are charming, as always. Almost make me want a Malt!

Kodi loves fetch too, but Like Augie and Finn, he doesn't catch, just retrieves. He has two favorite fetch-toys. One is a long black and white checked cow (he's actually on his second one of those!) the other is plastic gallon milk jugs. I've shared this photo before, but it gives people the idea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 02 22 Kodi & Milk Bottle_0007b.jpg (454.2 KB, 9 views)


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Mom to 2 Monsters
 
katkoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 397
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
ok, they are ADORABLE and the photos are amazing!! Wow.

Fionn has fetch half way down. He will run after his toy when I throw it, he just hasn't figured out if he drops it at my feet I'll throw it again. He holds it in his mouth and I've been teaching him "give" which is pretty good at. Any suggestions on how to get him to drop it for me rather than me retrieving it from him? He loves to run and fetch and it's great exercise for him.
oh you sure are right. That is a GREAT way to exercise and have a blast for the pups I also enjoy it, so it is a win-win.

How to teach Fionn how to drop the ball to you depends on how is Fionn playing it now. If Fionn is the type of dog who will come back to you (instead of running to the opposite direction) with ball in mouth, but refusing to give it back, you can use a similar way to teach like I did with Snowy.

Fionn sounds so much like how Snowy was before. I might be wrong, but if that's the case, try teaching it by having two tennis balls (or whatever Fionn LOOOOOVES to fetch the most) in your hand. Throw one tennis ball (or any other thing Fionn fetches) for Fionn to go after. When Fionn comes towards you (with ball in mouth of course), ask to "give" (good that you taught the word already so that is a step ahead ). Of course, Fionn wont give the ball at first. So what you can do then is show the second ball , toss it up in the air or whatever act that grabs Fionn's attention the most (normally, this act drives Snowy crazy, he tends to be SO FOCUSED on it, so he drops whatever in his mouth, wanting the second ball that *looks* to be more fun because I made it look that way lol). and hopefully, that is the case with Fionn.

Repeat the above few times: Fionn comes to you with ball 1 inside mouth, ball 2 suddenly appear on sight, in your hand which seems to be more fun . Within a short period of time, the pup gets it they are really smart.

This is how I taught (maybe bribe? but it worked) Snowy that dropping it in front of me was better than keeping it to himself. Of course, dropping ball 1 led to: praising him, positive tone of voice and most importantly, throwing ball2 for him to retreive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Kat, I ALWAYS look forward to your stories and photos! You must be on a break from school right now, where you have more time to take and post pictures of the Malts? Thank you for being so generous with your stories and photos of them.

My two guys love fetch too (but they don't catch - they retrieve ). Finn is nearly 16 weeks and he is not as good as Augie - Augie always gets there first - but Augie is so good at sharing - he goes after it but he usually will 'let' Finn retrieve, if they are playing this game together. Then he will run along side of him on the way back like he is Finn's 'protector'. If Augie does retrieve first, Finn goes after it and then it sometimes turns into tug of war, especially if I am throwing the Skineez toys - the long limp ones with a squeaker and no stuffing. I will be curious to see how this dynamic changes as Finn gets older as it appears he is going to be a much larger dog than Augie.....unless he slows down growing soon. I was fairly sure that Augie would be a good older brother, but it has been so much fun to watch it actually happen. When they wrestle, he is also careful with Finn, although as Finn gets older and bigger, I can see the energy level escalate. And once in awhile Augie will have to take Finn down, put him on his back and pin him for a bit, to put him in his place I guess, then he lets him pop up and play will resume. It is very silent play for the most part. There is no growling or yipping or squealing.

Pooch - when we were teaching Augie to fetch, he would not let the toy go, so we would give him a small treat and cheer when he dropped it. He would race after the toy, retrieve, and race back and practically throw it at my feet for that tiny treat. Finn does a fairly good job of bringing it back and dropping it with no treat involved. Wonderful game to tire them out! We play this game in the house and use soft toys, Skineez or I have several small sherpa discs with squeakers inside because my aim is not always so good and nothing gets hurt with them.
OMGoodness! Augie sounds awesome as a brother to Finn. It is so sweet to read that he allows Finn to retrieve it awwwh I can just imagine. lol and Finn acts like a typical puppy. I just love puppyhood stage where everything is new to them, they explore and all that.

Trust me, having a good playmate fluff (like Augie) to live with the new one (Finn) will help in developing the skills and many other things in the new pup quicker. So Finn has his mommy to teach him AND Augie to teach him too.

That is exactly how it happened with Snowy and Crystal. Snowy helped SO MUCH in helping Crystal learn many many things (that didn't occure to me at first) and become whom she is today. You are lucky for having Augie with Finn I think you got an awesome match of two pups together.

I can't wait to read how will Finn develop over time. It is an interesting stage to observe and watch AND train (i love that).

@Pooch, I love Linda's suggestion too. Try that as well and see what will work for Fionn ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kat, your photos are charming, as always. Almost make me want a Malt!

Kodi loves fetch too, but Like Augie and Finn, he doesn't catch, just retrieves. He has two favorite fetch-toys. One is a long black and white checked cow (he's actually on his second one of those!) the other is plastic gallon milk jugs. I've shared this photo before, but it gives people the idea...
lol this photo made me giggle how adorable is this. ok Karen, you can save up of getting doggie toys. That Kodi is doing awesome retrieving plastic gallon milk jugs

@all - thanks for sharing along guys. I honestly enjoyed reading.

+ Kat, Crystal & Snowy's Personal Assistant
"2 marvellous Maltese monsters; together they make a mini snow blizzard!" clare
Kat hopes to also add a Hav one day so that he can join the wild crew!
katkoota is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 132
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions. I've done the treat when he "gives" so maybe he's holding on to it to get the treat cuz he knows he'll get one when he gives! Yes, they are smart. I will try to "two toy" tactic and see how that goes. He always runs back toward me with his toy in his mouth...looking soooo proud and on a mission to get back as quickly as he can! I love it!!
Pooch is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Jacqueline
 
sprorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,090
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
my 1/2 hav's favorite game, believe it or not, is CHASE... chasee or chaser. low speed or high speed. it's more like a mad dash in a straight line, like a goal line stance in football

my two other dogs are a female, 130 lbs (just turned 7 yrs old) and the other, Oz (I call him the destroyer) just turned 1 yr, and a skinny 70 lbs. both anatolians, both prefer to play with Ollie, the 1/2 hav. one day I found all three laying next to each other, Ollie in the middle. upon closer examination, they were both nibbling on ollie. I think one was nibbling on a paw... don't worry, Ollie LOVES all the attention.
sprorchid is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome