Question about feeding advice in Dunbar's Before And After Getting Your Puppy - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
almostdogowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about feeding advice in Dunbar's Before And After Getting Your Puppy

Hi everyone! In Before and After Getting your Puppy by Ian Dunbar, he recommends not feeing your puppy from a bowl at first, but to measure out the day's worth of food and then give out the bits of kibble throughout the day, in part using it to stuff a Kong for short/long term confinement.

Has anyone done this? I know he doesn't recommend doing this forever, but as part of initial training (and the basis for it really makes sense to me) -- but I imagine it's hard to learn your pup's poop schedule this way?

Any thoughts from anyone who knows what I"m asking (hopefully someone does. lol!)

Thanks!
almostdogowner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
pjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,941
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
I fed each of my puppies three meals a day as the breeder had done before they came to me. When they were old enough, we cut it down to two meals a day. I agree with you, giving the kibble all day long will drive you crazy with potty scheduling.

<b>Just Milo and me, and . . . </b>Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
I read Dr. Dunbar's stuff before I got Kodi also. There was some parts that I found very useful, other parts less so. We didn't have to do the strict crate training that Dr. Dunbar advocates for potty training, because Kodi's breeder had already started him well on his way to being litter box trained. And Kongs were a total bust with Kodi. He refused to touch a Kong, no matter what it was filled with until he was a lot older, and then he started chewing them apart, so they weren't SAFE to use.

Like Geri, I fed Kodi 3x daily (as suggested by my breeder) until he chose to drop his mid day meal at around 16 weeks.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
misstray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 2,113
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I give Brody three meals a day still. Usually he doesn't eat the morning one, but occasionally he does. If he doesn't eat it then I take part of it and put it in his puppy kong and give it to him at work (end sealed off with a bit of cream cheese) and add the rest of the breakfast to his lunch meal. Brody will get sick if he doesn't eat a bit of something in the first couple of hours he's up and he never refuses the kibble out of his kong.

So, I guess I sort of do this depending on whether he eats his meal or not. He's never been very predictable with his potty schedule either with times or the amount of poops!

Tracy and Brody


A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
almostdogowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!

I am thinking we will probably use most of what Dunbar suggests, but are likely to deviate a bit on this one - for the reasons you guys noted (too hard to set up any kind of a potty schedule!). Maybe we'll set aside just a little of the daily supply of food for the Kong/training but still feed in a bowl at specific times each day (which Dunbar says not to do).

We are reading Dunbar's book and the Monk book (can't recall the name exactly)... and we are trying to take the stuff that makes sense from each -- similar to what Krandall said -- some of Dunbar's stuff is very sensible and clear cut, and others (like the "no bowl" rule) is a bit confusing and blurry.

Very much appreciated, once again!
almostdogowner is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 132
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read that book as well after I had Fionn for a few weeks. While I don't feed Fionn his meals in a kong I do keep a frozen peanut butter kong in the freezer at all times. I give it to him if I'm leaving him for a few hours or if I have things to do around the house and I want to keep him occupied. He loves them and I have found them to be very effective. I use about 1/2 tsp of peanut butter - not much.

As for feeding schedules, Fionn is hit and miss with eating. He's almost 19 weeks and I've still been feeding him 3 times a day, or I'll just leave his breakfast out and he'll graze on it through the day. It does take the predictabilty out of potty training - which I don't like. I thought the age to switch to 2 meals/day was 6 months, but sounds like others have done it earlier.

Karen, how did you know Kodi was ready and did you give him larger portions? I'm feeding Fionn "Now Puppy Formula" and the portion recommendation for his age and weight is 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 per day....he doesn't eat nearly that much though (he's 8.5 lbs). I give him 1/3 cup each meal and he rarely finishes it. Should I try 1/2 cup twice a day and see how that goes?

Jan
Pooch is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdogowner View Post
I am thinking we will probably use most of what Dunbar suggests, but are likely to deviate a bit on this one - for the reasons you guys noted (too hard to set up any kind of a potty schedule!). Maybe we'll set aside just a little of the daily supply of food for the Kong/training but still feed in a bowl at specific times each day (which Dunbar says not to do).

We are reading Dunbar's book and the Monk book (can't recall the name exactly)... and we are trying to take the stuff that makes sense from each -- similar to what Krandall said -- some of Dunbar's stuff is very sensible and clear cut, and others (like the "no bowl" rule) is a bit confusing and blurry.

Very much appreciated, once again!
Be careful with the Monks of New Skete book. It's an old book, and many of the training methods are old school and heavy handed.

BTW, here's another puppy book I really liked:

Tao of Puppies: How to Raise a Good Dog Without Really Trying [Paperback]
Krista Cantrell (Author)


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)







Last edited by krandall; 07-31-2011 at 07:48 AM.
krandall is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Karen, how did you know Kodi was ready and did you give him larger portions? I'm feeding Fionn "Now Puppy Formula" and the portion recommendation for his age and weight is 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 per day....he doesn't eat nearly that much though (he's 8.5 lbs). I give him 1/3 cup each meal and he rarely finishes it. Should I try 1/2 cup twice a day and see how that goes?

Jan
Kodi just plain stopped eating a third meal each day. I called his breeder and asked her about it, and she said every puppy is different... He probably didn't need it any more. I dropped his mid day meal, and he began eating much better.

In general, it's not a good idea to leave the food down. It leads to a picky, inconsistent eater. Leave it down for no more than 20 minutes, then pick it up. They rarely skip more than a meal or two. Healthy puppies WON'T starve themselves.

Part of your problem is that you are definitely trying to get him to eat more than he can/should. Pet food manufacturers are in the business of selling pet food. The more they can get you to feed your dog, the more they can sell. You just can't go by the recommendations on the packaging.

I think you will find that most of us who feed kibble feed between 1/4 - 1/3 c twice a day. When Kodi as a puppy, he got a level 1/4c 3x daily, now, as a largish adult (16.5 lb, with no extra fat on him) he gets a rounded 1/4c measure 2x daily.

Aside from potty training questions, this is probably one of the most common questions we see from puppy owners... People concerned that there pups aren't eating enough, when, in fact, they are trying to get them to eat WAY more food than the pup can possibly metabolize!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Tom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Gaston, N.C.
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 21 Posts
Our puppies typically start out eating three times a day, and in a few months lose interest in the midday meal. For Nike, who just turned 6 months, Pam feeds her normally in a bowl morning and evening, and uses the kibble for the midday meal as training treats.

I don't see any need not to feed in a bowl, but don't leave food down. If they don't eat a meal, pick it up, and they will eat next time.
Tom King is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
 
Flynn Gentry-Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helen, Georgia
Posts: 2,745
Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kodi just plain stopped eating a third meal each day. I called his breeder and asked her about it, and she said every puppy is different... He probably didn't need it any more. I dropped his mid day meal, and he began eating much better.

In general, it's not a good idea to leave the food down. It leads to a picky, inconsistent eater. Leave it down for no more than 20 minutes, then pick it up. They rarely skip more than a meal or two. Healthy puppies WON'T starve themselves.

Part of your problem is that you are definitely trying to get him to eat more than he can/should. Pet food manufacturers are in the business of selling pet food. The more they can get you to feed your dog, the more they can sell. You just can't go by the recommendations on the packaging.

I think you will find that most of us who feed kibble feed between 1/4 - 1/3 c twice a day. When Kodi as a puppy, he got a level 1/4c 3x daily, now, as a largish adult (16.5 lb, with no extra fat on him) he gets a rounded 1/4c measure 2x daily.

Aside from potty training questions, this is probably one of the most common questions we see from puppy owners... People concerned that there pups aren't eating enough, when, in fact, they are trying to get them to eat WAY more food than the pup can possibly metabolize!
Karen, you feed active Kodi 1/4 cup,rounded twice a day and that is it? I think I am way over feeding..I feed 1/4 cup to my new one 14 lbs and then have to add green beans as a filler as she is begging for more food...Sir Winston eats more as he doesn't want her to get it..I separate them. But she is too heavy and he is gaining weight after being neutered..
I know he will self-regulate but she has always had a huge appetite I am told by her breeder who only fed her once a day 1/3 cup..
Just checking to be sure I won't be starving her..
Is it okay to give something the chew on? What is the best with lowest calories? Do you feed naturally clean hooves?
Sorry for the many questions...desperate, Flynn

Sir Winston sez "Non Basta Una Vita.

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome