Warning about chicken jerky from China - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
... is now Havatwo
 
havaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 139
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warning about chicken jerky from China

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...deaths-in-dogs

Michelle, Havanna & Olivia
havaone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Rocky, Oreo's daddy
 
narci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 456
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

narci is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
 
Flynn Gentry-Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helen, Georgia
Posts: 2,745
Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Here is a site also about the chicken jerky. The USDA at this time will not release the name of the poison it could be Melamine, it could be artifical sweetners, etc. One article I read advises it best to avoid any jerky treats..I hope to have more information soon, but need to get permission to repost..
First, read these reports:


http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-jerky-treats/

Sir Winston sez "Non Basta Una Vita.”

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
kawboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Iron Mountain, Mi.
Posts: 245
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
One strict rule I have is to never buy anything made in China for our dogs. The pet store has an abundance of USA made treats whereas most stuff sold at Walmart comes from China or Taiwan.
kawboy is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Roshi's housekeeper
 
CrazieJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboy View Post
One strict rule I have is to never buy anything made in China for our dogs. The pet store has an abundance of USA made treats whereas most stuff sold at Walmart comes from China or Taiwan.
I posted the same topic over the past weekend titled "Chicken Strip"

In one of the replies, I said I read an article on the internet that also stated this:

"...Keep in mind that manufacturers do not have to divulge where their raw materials come. They can proudly tout a “Made in the U.S.A.” product if it is partially processed, packaged, and distributed in the United States. This does not mean that the product is manufactured with ingredients from American sources. In fact, the product can contain 100% imported raw materials and still be allowed to advertise itself as Made in the U.S.A. ..."

So I think we might need to dig deeper and have to see if the meat is farmed in North America.

So far, I found that Blue Buffalo claims that their chicken jerky strips are from chicken farmed in the US. Now... if I can find some here...

Casie and Master Roshi
CrazieJones is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
 
Flynn Gentry-Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helen, Georgia
Posts: 2,745
Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazieJones View Post
I posted the same topic over the past weekend titled "Chicken Strip"

In one of the replies, I said I read an article on the internet that also stated this:

"...Keep in mind that manufacturers do not have to divulge where their raw materials come. They can proudly tout a “Made in the U.S.A.” product if it is partially processed, packaged, and distributed in the United States. This does not mean that the product is manufactured with ingredients from American sources. In fact, the product can contain 100% imported raw materials and still be allowed to advertise itself as Made in the U.S.A. ..."

So I think we might need to dig deeper and have to see if the meat is farmed in North America.

So far, I found that Blue Buffalo claims that their chicken jerky strips are from chicken farmed in the US. Now... if I can find some here...
EXACTLY!!! Made in the USA is not enough if you want to prevent foreign substances from unknown sources..the companys do not have to divulge the origin of their vitamins, and raw materials.
Let's face it, I count on dogfood advisor for information. the Whold Dog Journal does a good job also of weeding out "good foods".
Even if you home cook your foods, some of the vitamins, ingredients could be foreign..you do the best you can. This is also a very political issue. I have asked the author of an article I recently read if I might cross post it, but have had no answer yet.
Actually we don't get the truth in ingredients in human foods either..
We do the best we can..the dogs depend on our doing that.

Sir Winston sez "Non Basta Una Vita.”

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ShirleyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 442
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing from China is the rule here, but also careful about who makes it in the U.S.
Treats from Newman's Own which are organic are a staple treat and even used for training. Keeper loves them and he gets no 'soft' treats because they all have added who-knows-what. Our vet advises rawhide only and processed in the U.S.

Keeper's Mom
ShirleyH is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,604
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyH View Post
Nothing from China is the rule here, but also careful about who makes it in the U.S.
Treats from Newman's Own which are organic are a staple treat and even used for training. Keeper loves them and he gets no 'soft' treats because they all have added who-knows-what. Our vet advises rawhide only and processed in the U.S.

Keeper's Mom
The trouble is you NEED soft treats for training, as it has to be something the dog can chew and swallow quickly. There are a number of commercial treats where the only non-food ingredient is glycerine to keep them soft. I don't have a problem with this. Kodi also gets a lot of home-made made treats... either ones I make or ones made by a friend.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ShirleyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 442
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Karen, I have no problem with the Newman's own heart-shaped treats because they are broken in small pieces prior to the training time. This guy doesn't care if they are the size of a pea--it's food!

Shirley
ShirleyH is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Roshi's housekeeper
 
CrazieJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did any one watch that episode of CSI Miami? A veggie farm was built too close to a cow farm. So the cows' excrement were running into the veggie farm. The lettuce were contaminated with E Coli. The victims ate the uncooked lettuce salad and died.

Let's just accept the fact that unless you farm your own food, you'll always be subjected to some kind of grossness in the food: farmed here or elsewhere. We will all die, early or later. Worrying too much will just make us die earlier. :P

See... sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Casie and Master Roshi
CrazieJones is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome