Dog Park Test - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Dog Park Test

I like this little test I found. , as to whether you should go to a dog park.

Answer True or False as the statement applies to you:

1) – You are unable to understand (read) your dog’s body language.

2) - You are unable to read any dog’s body language.

3) - You expect your dog to behave the same way that he does at home.

4) - You are very sociable and easily distracted by conversations with other dog owners.

5) - Your dog does not ‘recall’ reliably. (Call 1-800-Who me? for clarification)

6) - Your dog is terrified of other dogs.

7) - Your dog has a history of aggression toward humans.

8) - Your dog has a history of serious, damaging aggression toward other dogs.

9) - Your dog is not current on his vaccinations.

10) - You watch ‘The Dog Whisperer’ and are expecting the ‘pack’ to fix your dog.

Be honest, now If you answered 'True' to any of these statements, you might want to avoid Dog Parks.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Mom to Isabella & Raider
 
ClaireVoyant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 391
Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
LOL, this test should be required reading for every dog owner before entering.




ClaireVoyant is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,687
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
OR if you're afraid of all the other stupid people who HAVEN'T read this test, you might want to avoid dog parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
I like this little test I found. , as to whether you should go to a dog park.

Answer True or False as the statement applies to you:

1) – You are unable to understand (read) your dog’s body language.

2) - You are unable to read any dog’s body language.

3) - You expect your dog to behave the same way that he does at home.

4) - You are very sociable and easily distracted by conversations with other dog owners.

5) - Your dog does not ‘recall’ reliably. (Call 1-800-Who me? for clarification)

6) - Your dog is terrified of other dogs.

7) - Your dog has a history of aggression toward humans.

8) - Your dog has a history of serious, damaging aggression toward other dogs.

9) - Your dog is not current on his vaccinations.

10) - You watch ‘The Dog Whisperer’ and are expecting the ‘pack’ to fix your dog.

Be honest, now If you answered 'True' to any of these statements, you might want to avoid Dog Parks.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Evelyn
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 4,652
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
Good test, but to be honest with you, I have never had any desire to take Whimsy to a dog park.

whimsy is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
yeah Whimsy doesn't look like the ruff and tumble type. LOL

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,687
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Kodi LOVEs to play with dogs at our training center and at the Hav play dates we've been to. But the dogs at our training center don't fall into that "normal dog" category you posted about, as they all have owners who pay more attention and have made sure they are well socialized and well trained. I think, in general, Hav people are also more tuned-in to their dogs. Plus Havs seem to be mostly sweet and playful with others who like the same play they do. (mainly lots of RLH, with very little flipping each other over or pouncing on each other) At the play dates I've been to, the ones who are not so social tend to hang with their owners and don't bother anyone else either.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kodi LOVEs to play with dogs at our training center and at the Hav play dates we've been to. But the dogs at our training center don't fall into that "normal dog" category you posted about, as they all have owners who pay more attention and have made sure they are well socialized and well trained. I think, in general, Hav people are also more tuned-in to their dogs. Plus Havs seem to be mostly sweet and playful with others who like the same play they do. (mainly lots of RLH, with very little flipping each other over or pouncing on each other) At the play dates I've been to, the ones who are not so social tend to hang with their owners and don't bother anyone else either.
Yeah I see what you're saying Karen. People that get involved with sports generally have dogs that are better trained and socialized. But even though the Hav has a friendly dispositon., it, like any breed can have it's problems. I haven't met a friendly Hav yet. Mind you I've only met about five, but if they're not socialized well , they can have problems just like any dog. The dog park ,probably is not the best place to do this. Unless you are very careful. But I think all the points in the article above are legit. Here's an interesting tidbit. ...
Seems the smallest dogs ranked the highest when it came to human aggression. The top three biters, in order, were the Dachshund, the Chihuahua, and the Jack Russell Terrier.

This is the findings recently published by the journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science from a study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild

Last edited by davetgabby; 02-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
davetgabby is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Evelyn
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 4,652
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
yeah Whimsy doesn't look like the ruff and tumble type. LOL
LOL Dave...nor am I!

whimsy is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy View Post
LOL Dave...nor am I!
Yeah Evelyn I'm just waiting to see you two in Better Homes and Gardens.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 36 Posts
Dave ~ you said in your post ... "I haven't met a friendly hav yet...: I sure hope that was a typo!!! If not, you need to come meet Tillie. LOL she LOVES everyone... it's other dogs she's sometimes not to sure of!
therefore... Never will I take her to a dog park, I answered true to to many of those questions!!

Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome