She knows EVERY signal that I might be leaving. - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Gucci's mom
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 9,378
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 11 Posts
She knows EVERY signal that I might be leaving.

I have been noticing over the last few weeks that Gucci knows EVERY single small signal that I might be leaving to run an errand , or to get groceries...or basically leaving the house. Everything from touching my purse, keys, sunglasses, to putting socks on, putting powder and lipstick on..brushing my hair, any and all of those things she starts whining at me to 'go'..It wouldn't be so annoying if some of the stuff I was doing just to stay home, lol.. She is so on edge that she might miss a car ride or be home without me.

I guess it just amazes me that she is so in tune to my routine, things I don't even think twice about, she is always analyzing and filing away in her mind.


Kara
Thumper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Gaston, N.C.
Posts: 3,127
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 22 Posts
The older they get, the more they understand about you. You can't hide anything now. Real trouble comes if you start asking permission. Twinkle can go through multi-step processes to explain something to us.

There's no way you can explain this stuff to other people that don't have one.
Tom King is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 851
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I was just thinking the same thoughts about mine! My husband and I were talking about how it's almost as if she can understand our conversations about what we're about to do (go get groceries, go out for dinner, etc) because she either starts pacing at the door or resigns herself and just goes to her kennel. I'm sure I'm doing something that sets her off like putting my shoes on or walking quickly from here to there, but I think it's fun to think we're talking about going out and there she is understanding English!
atsilvers27 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,646
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
The only time I notice that Augie pays attention is if I put on my walking shoes. He knows that means going for a walk or going to 'school' (his Rally class). He gets sooooo excited, and oh, the disappointment if it is Finn going for the walk. There is no way I can handle the both of them together yet.

My parrot really picks up on subtle clues that I am going to be leaving. He will start in saying 'see ya later' and doing the car beep sound - before I have even picked up the keys or put my shoes on. I still haven't figured out what he is picking up on, but he knows.

Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 851
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
The only time I notice that Augie pays attention is if I put on my walking shoes. He knows that means going for a walk or going to 'school' (his Rally class). He gets sooooo excited, and oh, the disappointment if it is Finn going for the walk. There is no way I can handle the both of them together yet.

My parrot really picks up on subtle clues that I am going to be leaving. He will start in saying 'see ya later' and doing the car beep sound - before I have even picked up the keys or put my shoes on. I still haven't figured out what he is picking up on, but he knows.
That is so cute I LOVE BIRDS! LOL
atsilvers27 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
 
pjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,941
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
They are so tuned in to us. When Bailey starts seeing the signs that I'm about to go out, he plants himself right in front of the door. When I get down the stairs to the landing, he has to move out of the way so I can go. I get the feeling he's hoping if he blocks the door I won't leave. Then one of them (not sure which) scratches at the door just after I leave. It makes me feel guilty each and every time.

<b>Just Milo and me, and . . . </b>Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Lizzie'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
We noticed that with Lizzie this past weekend. We had to travel for 2 nights for our daughter's dive meet so we had to pack more than just going to the store. As we were leaving she ran out the door and to the car. It was so cute. We put her back in the house and said "Lizzie stays home". When we say that she puts her head down and walks away from the door. Our 17 year old daughter stayed with her. She said that she likes Lizzie better when I'm not there because then Lizzie became her shadow and not mine!

Oh Linda, how cute about the parrot. I have never had a bird or been around them. I love reading your stories.

Lynne-Lizzie's mom
Lizzie'sMom is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,682
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I have been noticing over the last few weeks that Gucci knows EVERY single small signal that I might be leaving to run an errand , or to get groceries...or basically leaving the house. Everything from touching my purse, keys, sunglasses, to putting socks on, putting powder and lipstick on..brushing my hair, any and all of those things she starts whining at me to 'go'..It wouldn't be so annoying if some of the stuff I was doing just to stay home, lol.. She is so on edge that she might miss a car ride or be home without me.

I guess it just amazes me that she is so in tune to my routine, things I don't even think twice about, she is always analyzing and filing away in her mind.


Kara
Kodi too. He can tell the minute I'm getting ready to go somewhere, and he's just WAITING for an invitation to come along... even if it's just a ride to the post office or to fill the car with gas. If I say, "Get in your house!" he happily runs to his pen, knowing that he'll get a cookie when I leave. But he makes ist ABUNDANTLY clear that he'd rather come with me.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,682
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
I was just thinking the same thoughts about mine! My husband and I were talking about how it's almost as if she can understand our conversations about what we're about to do (go get groceries, go out for dinner, etc) because she either starts pacing at the door or resigns herself and just goes to her kennel. I'm sure I'm doing something that sets her off like putting my shoes on or walking quickly from here to there, but I think it's fun to think we're talking about going out and there she is understanding English!
It amazes me how many words they DO understand, without us consciously teaching them. The other day, I was in the bank with Kodi, doing some paperwork for the mortgage that is replacing our construction loan. We were there for a long time, and he was sitting very quietly and patiently on my lap. The manager came by, looked at him and said, "Can I get you anything for him? Do you think he needs a drink?" and Kodi immediately sat up, looked at him and started wagging his tail.

The guy was amazed. He asked, "Do you really think he understood me?" I said, "Go get him a drink, and see for yourself!" So the manager went off to the water fountain, and came back with a cup of water for Kodi. He immediately drank about half the cup. Everyone in the bank was absolutely amazed. But there are actually a lot of words he understands!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,682
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjewel View Post
They are so tuned in to us. When Bailey starts seeing the signs that I'm about to go out, he plants himself right in front of the door. When I get down the stairs to the landing, he has to move out of the way so I can go. I get the feeling he's hoping if he blocks the door I won't leave. Then one of them (not sure which) scratches at the door just after I leave. It makes me feel guilty each and every time.
Kodi has gotten better about the guilt thing, but there was a period of time when this was the face I got every time I put make-up on. (which probably meant I was leaving without him) Pathetic or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 03 24 Mom's leaving me_07xs.jpg (492.3 KB, 2 views)


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)







Last edited by krandall; 03-22-2012 at 04:02 PM.
krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome