Help with ignoring leash law violators - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Michele and Sergio
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 316
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Help with ignoring leash law violators

Okay, so, it's part of my personality I suppose, that it just irks me when I see people let their dogs off leash to run freely. Why does it bother me? I don't know. Maybe it's because there exists an Arlington County Leash Law that states:

Leash Laws

When off their owner's property, all dogs in Arlington must be leashed and under control of the owner or another responsible person. The only exception to this law is if the dog is in a county-sanctioned, off-lead dog exercise area.


And the pooper scooper law:

Waste Removal

Known as the pooper-scooper law, this ordinance requires Arlington dog owners to remove and dispose of feces that their dogs have deposited on public areas or another person's property.


Now that the weather is nicer, I see people allowing their dogs to run off leash outside of the fenced in dog park.

So, I'm certain they understand there is a leash law. My question to you is, how can I just "let it go" and not let it bother me so much that pet parents choose to ignore the leash law?

Sometimes, yes, it does interfere with my walking my dog on a leash. Other times, it's just annoying because they aren't following the rules. Too bad for me!! Get over it!! Let it go!!

I know that personality has a lot to do with why some people choose to ignore the leash laws. They must think that letting their dogs run freely off leash is more important than following the law. Or they think that the rules don't apply to them, only to every other dog. What if every dog owner let their dogs off leash?

If you are the type of person who lets her dog off leash and violates your local leash laws, I would like to know why so I can be more understanding and more tolerant.

Thanks!!
curly_DC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 286
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why do people speed, or drink before the legal age, or ignore due date on bills? Rules don't apply to them, doncha know?? Be happy that you have a brain and no one needs to wonder about you! lol
mamacjt is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM
havilove
 
Ruthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, it is not just you, but as the previous poster said, people dont follow a lot of the laws. Here, where I live, which is more in the country, people move in and get dogs, and take them home, turn them loose and they dont bother much with them again. Occasionally they put out some water, or throw them some food. But mostly they wander the neighborhood, getting into other peoples yards, digging in trash, looking for food and water. I am dealing with a neighbor right now like that. They had 2 large dogs last yr, and they were constantly finding a way to get in my place. I have a beautiful little pond in the front yard, and they would get in it to cool off, and meanwhile mess the pond up. Talking to them did no good. Then they suddenly disappeared. Now they have gotten two more, and they are starting to do the same.I feel for the dogs. They definetely are not being took care of. They wont come to you when you call them, probably because so many have ran them off. Our dog control people here are useless, you are on your own. Yes there are laws that they cant roam, but, no one will do anything about it. I sure understand your frustrations.
Ruthi is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Michele and Sergio
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 316
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe one reason it bothers me is because I don't think the leash law is actually enforced. I've not ever seen an Arlignton County Police Officer issue a citation to anyone with a dog off leash.

Why have the leash law to begin with if it's not going to be enforced?

Are pet parents who live in apartments more concerned that their dogs will not be trained properly off leash?

It has to be a great feeling to be walking or strolling along with a dog off leash right beside you. I've seen that with dogs in the neighborhood like Golden Retrievers. However, I've also seen people let their little dogs like a Maltese off leash to chase after squirrels.

It makes me feel like I'm an uptight person by not allowing my dog to go squirrel chasing.

I would love to hear from leash law violators to understand their reasoning. I'm sure they don't feel they're putting their dogs in any harm.
curly_DC is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Michele and Sergio
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 316
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthi View Post
No, it is not just you, but as the previous poster said, people dont follow a lot of the laws. Here, where I live, which is more in the country, people move in and get dogs, and take them home, turn them loose and they dont bother much with them again. Occasionally they put out some water, or throw them some food. But mostly they wander the neighborhood, getting into other peoples yards, digging in trash, looking for food and water. I am dealing with a neighbor right now like that. They had 2 large dogs last yr, and they were constantly finding a way to get in my place. I have a beautiful little pond in the front yard, and they would get in it to cool off, and meanwhile mess the pond up. Talking to them did no good. Then they suddenly disappeared. Now they have gotten two more, and they are starting to do the same.I feel for the dogs. They definetely are not being took care of. They wont come to you when you call them, probably because so many have ran them off. Our dog control people here are useless, you are on your own. Yes there are laws that they cant roam, but, no one will do anything about it. I sure understand your frustrations.
I remember when my grandparents had two German Shepherds, Rocky and Lucky, and they stayed outside on about 5 acres in Missouri. But it was outside of county lines, and they had ponds and such. The dogs loved to roam freely and would come back home!! They would go over to the neighbor's and bark at the cows.

I think some times people who are out in the country, don't realize they are subject to city ordinances. If they live "out in the county" and not in the city, the leash laws may be different. I had this problem when I lived in a small town in Kansas near Kansas City. There were city ordinances and leash laws, but the neighbors with their pets acted like they lived out in the county. They did that with fire works, too. Didn't realize they lived in a denser area than out in the county.
curly_DC is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Michele and Sergio
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 316
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ruthi, the one advice I have is to avoid confrontation with your neighbor about their two dogs. I would research online to find out if your neighbor is violating any leash laws. If they are, I would contact animal control the next time you see them. Animal control should be able to catch the dogs when they are in your pond. I would NOT talk to the neighbor about it.

I did this with my neighbor who would leave her garage door open a foot to let her cat wander outside at night. The cat would cry in front of my bedroom window and rattle me!! The cat would dart in my garage and almost in my house or my car whenever I opened my garage door. Yes, my neighbor was violating a city ordinance by letting her cat out. It didn't matter. There wasn't any reasoning with her about it.
curly_DC is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,606
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_DC View Post
I remember when my grandparents had two German Shepherds, Rocky and Lucky, and they stayed outside on about 5 acres in Missouri. But it was outside of county lines, and they had ponds and such. The dogs loved to roam freely and would come back home!! They would go over to the neighbor's and bark at the cows.

I think some times people who are out in the country, don't realize they are subject to city ordinances. If they live "out in the county" and not in the city, the leash laws may be different. I had this problem when I lived in a small town in Kansas near Kansas City. There were city ordinances and leash laws, but the neighbors with their pets acted like they lived out in the county. They did that with fire works, too. Didn't realize they lived in a denser area than out in the county.
I can't tell you why people do this, except, as someone else said, people break laws all the time and don't even think about them. If they are not enforced, even MORE people break laws, and at the same time, under funded police departments have bigger fish to fry than dealing with off-leash dogs.

I DON'T live in the city. I live at the edge of the suburbs in a town that is zone residental/agricultural except for a small business district. I have a 5+ acre horse farm and back up to another much larger farm, and have wooded town-owned land to one side. We STILL have trouble with loose dogs, and it's not OK here, either.

I HATE going out and stepping in huge elephant plop sized dog poop in my yard that CLEARLY didn't come out of Kodi. (besides, we pick his up when he goes) We once had a neighbor's Rottweiler cross who would come and run our horses. When I yelled at him when I was out doing stalls one day, he came after ME. Fortunately, I had a pitch fork in my hands, and he actually bounced off the tines before he retreated. Otherwise, I'm sure he would have attacked me. We have another neighbor with two Springer Spaniels. These are both nice "people" dogs, but one of them is very dog aggressive. I have to walk right by their house to get down my driveway, and twice the dog has come running out and tried to grab Kodi. I've had to yank him up off the ground with the leash, then kick the dog off repeatedly before the owner came and dragged him away. They apologize profusely, but they don't maintain their fences, and don't properly supervise their pets.

Another time I was carrying groceries to my house from the car. Kodi was off leash, as he often is in our yard, following me back and forth as I brought the groceries in. (our yard is set WAY back from the street at the end of a very long driveway, and is out of line of site of these dogs) The dog came charging INTO our yard and grabbed Kodi ON OUR BACK STEPS. fortunately, because of Kodi's long coat, he only got a mouthful of hair for the effort before I chased him off and got Kodi in the house.

People seem to feel that because there is open land (ours) behind their house, it is fine to let their dogs run loose. But it's MY property, and I want to be able to SAFELY use it for my own animals. So this is not just a "city" problem.

Around town, people do, for the most part keep their dogs on leashes, and MOST people (besides my stupid neighbors) either have solid fences or "Invisible Fences". But they don't clean up after their dogs on the street... Walking down the sidewalk between our house and town is like walking though a minefield.

So, I don't have any answers for you, but I'm right up on the soap box with you. These people are irresponsible and a danger not only to other people's pets but to their own as well.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,646
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_DC View Post
Ruthi, the one advice I have is to avoid confrontation with your neighbor about their two dogs. I would research online to find out if your neighbor is violating any leash laws. If they are, I would contact animal control the next time you see them. Animal control should be able to catch the dogs when they are in your pond. I would NOT talk to the neighbor about it.

I did this with my neighbor who would leave her garage door open a foot to let her cat wander outside at night. The cat would cry in front of my bedroom window and rattle me!! The cat would dart in my garage and almost in my house or my car whenever I opened my garage door. Yes, my neighbor was violating a city ordinance by letting her cat out. It didn't matter. There wasn't any reasoning with her about it.
I also have tried talking to a neighbor (thank goodness she is no longer a neighbor) about her cat who was pooping in my yard. She swore up and down that it was not her cat. When I asked if 'Dudley' was trained to use a litter box, she haughtily informed me that of course he wouldn't use one, and basically told me it was my fault for digging up flower beds in my own yard, thus 'inviting' cats. Funny thing, after she got her husband to pay off her house and redecorate it and then dumped him, he took the cat with him - and wonder of wonders - no more cat poop in my flower beds! There are some people (quite a few, actually) with a sense of entitlement, who only consider themselves and couldn't care less about how their actions affect others.

Our city council recently voted down a leash law, because the city does not have the funds or manpower to enforce it. It shouldn't take a law to make people show consideration for others, but it certainly appears that a law is needed, with strong teeth, to make some people do the 'right' thing.

We had a neighbor years ago that would let her toy breed of some sort run around the neighborhood, no leash - and this was when we did have a leash law - because there was no leash laws for cats and 'he's no larger than a cat', she told me. I had a hard time showing any sympathy, except I felt sorry for the dog, when that dog was struck and killed by a car. And guess who she blamed for that??

Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Michele and Sergio
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 316
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I first moved to Arlington, it was difficult to find an apartment that did NOT allow dogs, since I didn't have one. I was very "old school" and thought it was cruel NOT to have outside space for a dog, and I couldn't visualize myself with a smaller breed dog.

Anyway, unless they really weren't being honest with my grandparents, their neighbors seemed to love the two German Shepherds that would roam freely. Lucky was the younger one that would sometimes not come back at the end of the day. I remember my grandparents weren't even worried that he hadn't returned home before dark.

Remember the tv shows with dogs, like "Please Don't Eat the Daisies," where I think the dogs weren't allowed in the house, and the kids were always trying to sneak the dog in?? Or maybe that was The Brady Bunch, where the dog would sometimes run loose through the house and Alice would freak out!! Dogs had their own little houses outside. Maybe some people still think that way, that dogs should roam freely and then return home.

I saw another tv program "Bad Dog" where they put a hidden camera on an escape artist dog to see where he went when he escaped from his own home. He traveled pretty far and wide for a dog through some water to a neighbor's house to eat BBQ. And then he saw his pet parents' car on the street, and started running back home to get there before they did. It was soooo funny!!!
curly_DC is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Chico and Cali
 
luv3havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,373
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Michele,
Where I live in Montgomery County, I almost never see any dogs off leash, thank goodness. Except for the occasional dog that gets loose and then all the neighbors help to corral the dog.
However, the folks here don't obey the pooper scoop laws and that is so aggravating. I'd love to find out who is doing this and approach them with a poop bag.

Nan
Chico, Cali, and Finnegan
luv3havs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome