They can't make us feel guilty... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
They can't make us feel guilty...

Great article on shelter vs. purebred dogs.

http://naiaonline.org/articles/artic...wners-can-play


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
yeah, nobody should feel guilty for buying a purebred, even though, there's PLENTY wrong with the industry.
Cindy Bruckart wrote a piece on this last month. http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/who-killed-these-dogs

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild

Last edited by davetgabby; 05-13-2012 at 04:46 PM.
davetgabby is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Lisainidaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 162
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the interesting article. I adopted my last dog from the shelter. I loved him dearly, and he will be the last dog I adopt from the shelter or otherwise take in from a rescue situation. Yes, I got a very loveable dog. What I also got was a scared Doberman that bit two of my friends in one day. I put lots and lots of training and money into that dog and he made a great turn around and was really fantastic, but some things never changed. Some of what I will call his "character flaws" were never corrected. There are some things that no amount of training will correct. So...while having a purebred dog is no guarantee, I will only have puppies that I have fully researched to the best of my ability in the future.

Rescuing a dog is a wonderful thing to do, but one has to be prepared for the possibility that no amount of loving will "cure" the past misdeeds of others. My perspective is that I have absolutely nothing to be guilty about as I have NEVER and will never take a dog to a shelter or rescue situation. I don't add to the problem, so I sleep just fine with my purebred dogs beside me.
(Sorry about getting on the soapbox. Can you tell I have been questioned about this before, lol?)

Proud Mom of Tango and Cash
Lisainidaho is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisainidaho View Post
Thanks for the interesting article. I adopted my last dog from the shelter. I loved him dearly, and he will be the last dog I adopt from the shelter or otherwise take in from a rescue situation. Yes, I got a very loveable dog. What I also got was a scared Doberman that bit two of my friends in one day. I put lots and lots of training and money into that dog and he made a great turn around and was really fantastic, but some things never changed. Some of what I will call his "character flaws" were never corrected. There are some things that no amount of training will correct. So...while having a purebred dog is no guarantee, I will only have puppies that I have fully researched to the best of my ability in the future.

Rescuing a dog is a wonderful thing to do, but one has to be prepared for the possibility that no amount of loving will "cure" the past misdeeds of others. My perspective is that I have absolutely nothing to be guilty about as I have NEVER and will never take a dog to a shelter or rescue situation. I don't add to the problem, so I sleep just fine with my purebred dogs beside me.
(Sorry about getting on the soapbox. Can you tell I have been questioned about this before, lol?)
Lisa , I couln't agree more with you. Very well said. And good for you. Some people just should not take on more than they can handle.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
Lisa , I couln't agree more with you. Very well said. And good for you. Some people just should not take on more than they can handle.
I agree completely. I was getting my first dog, and I had a husband who was not at all keen on the idea of getting a dog, plus I wanted a do for performance sports. So it was REALLY important that I get it right the first time.

I know there are wonderful shelter dogs out there. I also know how MANY people I know who have ended up with reactive dogs from shelter situations. I completely understand that most reactive dogs are made not born, but as a first time dog owner, I didn't feel that was something I could deal with. And I knew that if my first dog was a "problem", my husband would never agree to a dog again.

By buying my dog from someone who not only does their best to produce genetically sound puppies, but then also does their best to give those puppies a good start in life experiences, I stacked the deck in my favor. I don't regret that decision at all!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 244
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm glad this thread was started. I wanted very much to adopt a shelter dog this time around, but for various reasons I decided a purebred would work best for me. Most dogs I see at the dog park are shelter dogs, I think, and I do feel guilty telling people I got mine from a breeder. Mainly because I imagine most people don't know the difference between a reputable breeder and those "breeders" that advertise on craigslist. No one has ever said anything about it, but I'm sure they have their thoughts on it.
Kalico is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
rokipiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 467
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I was walking with Roki on Saturday and suddenly a youg girl put a huge sticker on my back. "This person is dog murderer!" That was the slogan on the sticker. I didn't mind that (even though she destroyed my shirt), but I went mad and called police when they poured a bucket of water over Roki shouting that he is a dog responsible for other dog's cruel death. My friend cought them and kept them until the police showed up. Two girls ended up in police station and we bought a towel in nearby shop and wrapped poor Roki. Now I really start to hate those aggresive young animal rights activists! I an thinking about suing organization they belong to!
Marina&Roki
rokipiki is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Chico and Cali
 
luv3havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,373
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I respect everyone's choice in choosing their dog, whether from a breeder or rescue. Two of my Havs came from breeders and one from rescue.

Some dogs adopted from rescues are absolutely wonderful.
Especially from HRI
Not all rescued dogs come with issues, such as my Finnegan, who passed the therapy dog test less than one year of coming to our family.
I am aware of many other lovely dogs who came from good rescue organizations. It takes perseverance and lots of patience, and some luck, to get a great dog from a rescue, but it is possible!

Nan
Chico, Cali, and Finnegan
luv3havs is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
The Laughing Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,335
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
I love this thread and the two articles, if you have been on the forum for awhile you most probably know I am the one that always will say that I do not condone breeding to make cute puppies or supply puppies so there are many choices for people who what the popular dog now. Most of the public do not even know what happens to most dogs going into a shelter or pound (not talking rescue), they watch tv and think that they go to a rescue or get adopted, this is not true...must are destroyed. I now live in North Carolina we still gas our unwanted pets....our city and county council's call them "surplus animals" as if they are livestock quick solutions and out of the public eye that is the order of the day.

The fact is many people are just not able to deal with a shelter pet, many of these pets have problems, yes it maybe true that the first owner just got tired of the needy dog after the cute puppy stage,but often these dog also had no basic training. A dog who has no basic training and has developed bad habits are often just too much for a first time dog owner esp. if they have small children, busy households, and work!

Myself I have two rescues and two dogs from good breedersl, I grew up with dogs working boarder collies, sheperds, and Wolfhounds, my grandfather trained dogs for the blind. I have owned two puppy mill dogs and yes it did make me feel good to train them and watch them become awesome happy dogs. I now have Yogi he has been a challenge since day one...he was in our pound for three weeks and then in our rescue shelter for one week...he was six months old and reactive, many would have given up or returned him.

A purebred dog from a good breeder is a good bet (there will always be some failures) and so our many breed rescues, never be ashamed to make a educated choice, this pet will be a member of your family for hopefully many long years.

One of my dreams and I do no its kinda of out there, but we need dreams: Is that people adopting a pet from a shelter dog/pound be given a training voucher for 6 weeks of mandatory basic training, I really think it would make a difference in retention. Of course I have all the other stuff affordable doggy birth control clinics, out reach for same and rabies,etc for at risk population and anti cruelity laws to keep me busy.

Robbie, Boo Boo, Yogi, and Misty's human.
Poohkey miss you, monkey.
The Laughing Magpie is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Lisainidaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 162
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post
Well, I was walking with Roki on Saturday and suddenly a youg girl put a huge sticker on my back. "This person is dog murderer!" That was the slogan on the sticker. I didn't mind that (even though she destroyed my shirt), but I went mad and called police when they poured a bucket of water over Roki shouting that he is a dog responsible for other dog's cruel death. My friend cought them and kept them until the police showed up. Two girls ended up in police station and we bought a towel in nearby shop and wrapped poor Roki. Now I really start to hate those aggresive young animal rights activists! I an thinking about suing organization they belong to!
Marina&Roki
Marina, that is unbelievable! And just plain wrong. So sorry and mad for you and Roki

Proud Mom of Tango and Cash
Lisainidaho is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome