Join Date: Mar 2012
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Paisley -almost the worst week ever!! :(
Hi Folks -
Let me start out by saying that is only because of Dr. Palmer at Garden State Vet Hospital that my 12 week old puppy is still alive. I brought her home tonight so thrilled to see her almost back to her old self. I am posting this for everyone else to learn from my mistake...sorry it's a little gross...
Last Saturday night, Paisley started with some diarrhea. She has not been food motivated since I bought her home and would only eat very little kibble. I was told that her weight was normal at her first vet visit with me at 10 weeks and 3.3 lbs I was searching to find treats that she would like to help in training. I found a chew treat for puppies by Nylabone that she LOVED! She ate part of that on Friday night, so I thought the tummy trouble was from a new treat. She had also been caught sniffing and licking around the cat litter on that same day. Saturday, I took her to the beach and she ran around and licked a little sand. All of these things, I thought, may contribute to a sour tummy. Sunday, she barely ate at all and the tummy troubles continued but she continued to drink and bounce around the house. Monday, she was a little out of it and the tummy trouble got pretty bad and so I called the vet (Shark River Vet) and she was seen at 1pm. She was still drinking and urinating and not throwing up. I brought a semi-solid stool sample with me wrapped up in the puppy pad that also had urine and diarrhea in it. The vet checked her out and I offered the sample and he said not to worry about it and put her on Clavamox and special canned food. I specifically asked him 3 times about testing for parasites and he said no, that she would be throwing up if she had a parasite. We came home and the sample was thrown out at the vet's office. I blame myself for not demanding the test, but I do feel that the vet was negligent.
At 5:30pm, Paisley starts vomiting. I run her to the emergency vet (Garden State) since the regular vet had closed at 4pm. They admitted her right away, at this point she was still lethargic and had watery diarrhea and vomiting- long story short - she almost died twice and was in the hospital from Monday evening until about an hour ago, when I was finally allowed to pick her up. Her protein and glucose levels were dangerously low and white count was up. The vet was very surprised that she didn't go into cardiac arrest. They couldn't figure out what the cause was until late Wednesday night when they could get a semi-firm sample to test for parasites. By this time, she had an ultra-sound and dozens of other tests with nothing conclusive. When the parasite test came back positive for Coccidia, the vet was alarmed that this test could have been done at the first vet on Monday with the firm sample and the puppy treated with the correct medication immediately instead of waiting 2+ days. The delay in treating her is very dangerous for a puppy this small.
Not only did this situation put my puppy at a HUGE risk and cause me a tremendous amount upsetment but it also cost thousands of dollars. Of course, I understand that this is part of the deal when adopting a new pet but I just really feel that if she had been treated properly, a lot of this situation could have been avoided. I had just purchased pet insurance that does not kick in for 30 days. Now the question for you...what would you do?? I am never using that same vet again and plan to go in there on Monday and raise hell. I didn't even want to speak to them this week while Paisley was in the hospital. Now that she is home and recovering, I am ready for a war!! I want to let them know about the mistake they made and let them know that all of my pet-loving friends will know about this going forward.
Any insight would be appreciated!