Brushing teeth - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Charleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 609
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Brushing teeth

I'm wondering when I should begin brushing Charley's teeth. I probably should have started working on this already but yikes, I haven't. He's 9 mos. now.
Is there a good toothpaste out there. Any recommendations?

Starborn Love Me Good & Plenty (Charley)
Charleysmom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,525
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleysmom View Post
I'm wondering when I should begin brushing Charley's teeth. I probably should have started working on this already but yikes, I haven't. He's 9 mos. now.
Is there a good toothpaste out there. Any recommendations?
Yes, the sooner you start, the better. Any of the enzyme toothpastes work. I've used both C.E.T. and Arm and Hammer. The most important thing is that he likes the taste enough that it isn't aversive. The vet told me that if, at first, all you can do is get the toothpaste into their mouths, even that helps.

I have used a small dog toothbrush in the past, but Kodi seems more comfortable with a little terrycloth "sock" that I got at Petsmart, that fits over one finger. The good news is that at 3+ years, his teeth still look like a puppy's. The vet told me that they already see dental problems in a lot of 3 year old small dogs who don't get regular tooth care.

I also feed him Plaque-Off daily. Iknow Dave doesn't like this supplement,(it is a natural kelp product, but as such, contains iodine) but the Kings use it for all. Their dogs, and are convinced that it works well in keeping tartar down. And they have never had a thyroid problem in their dogs. So I feel comfortable feeding it to Kodi, and my vet agrees.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)







Last edited by krandall; 10-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.
krandall is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
RitaandRiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 822
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Whichever toothpaste he likes best. Start with baby steps. Have him lick the paste off your finger, then go to whatever implement you want to use. Then brush a little bit, then next time a little more and so on. It may take trial and error. We started with the fingertip brush we got at the vet. I didn't like that too much, tried with a child size toothbrush (Batman!), then ended up with the brush I got at the groomers. The long handled one for 99 cents.

RITA
RitaandRiley is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Yes, the sooner you start, the better. Any of the enzyme toothpastes work. I've used both C.E.T. and Arm and Hammer. The most important thing is that he likes the taste enough that it isn't aversive. The vet told me that if, at first, all you can do is get the toothpaste into their mouths, even that helps.

I have used a small dog toothbrush in the past, but Kodi seems more comfortable with a little terrycloth "sock" that I got at Petsmart, that fits over one finger. The good news is that at 3+ years, his teeth still look like a puppy's. The vet told me that they already see dental problems in a lot of 3 year old small dogs who don't get regular tooth care.

I palso feed him Plaque-Off daily. Iknow Dave doesn't like this supplement,(it is a natural kelp product, but as such, contains iodine) but the Kings use it for all. Their dogs, and are convinced that it works well in keeping tartar down. And they have never had a thyroid problem in their dogs. So I feel comfortable feeding it to Kodi, and my vet agrees.
I am not denying Karen that it works. I just feel that people need to know both sides of the story. here is a quote from another breeder and former member here. ...
"On Saturday, I was in a seminar with Jean Dodds, DVM all day. Her topics of discussion were thyroid, vaccines and nutrition. When she was on the topic of thyroid, she specifically mentioned that you should not add any kelp to your dog's diet if you feed a commercial product because commerical products already have Iodine in them and kelp will give them way too much iodine, which will suppress thyroid function. Those who do homecooking and raw (non-commercial) should be fine unless you are already adding iodine in another form. Strangely enough, this was the only specific food supplement that she mentioned to avoid in regard to thyroid function" (Kimberley)

And here is a statement by Sabine re placqueoff ..."Dogs who eat common commercial diets (especially dry food) often already get 3, 4 5 times and more the amount of iodine than the recommended daily allowance, and Plaque-Off adds to that.
Just as an example, per NRC 2006 guidelines the *weekly* recommended intake of iodine for a 10 pound dog is 645 mcg.

Let's say this dog eats Orijen Adult and needs 3 1/2 cups per week (1/2 cup per day) to maintain a good weight. This amount of dry food already supplies 2,012.5 mcg of iodine, or over 300%.

If you add even just 1/2 scoop of Plaque Off daily to that (200 mcg * 7 = 1,400 mcg), you end up at 3,412.5 mcg, or almost 530%.

The "minerals such as iodine are absorbed from the diet according to need; excess minerals pass straight through" claim is totally ignorant, since if that really were the case, we wouldn't have various toxicities from excess levels, including what Dr. Dodds is referring to."

If you want a very enlightening book on this



Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild

Last edited by davetgabby; 10-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.
davetgabby is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,525
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
I am not denying Karen that it works. I just feel that people need to know both sides of the story. here is a quote from another breeder and former member here. ...
"On Saturday, I was in a seminar with Jean Dodds, DVM all day. Her topics of discussion were thyroid, vaccines and nutrition. When she was on the topic of thyroid, she specifically mentioned that you should not add any kelp to your dog's diet if you feed a commercial product because commerical products already have Iodine in them and kelp will give them way too much iodine, which will suppress thyroid function. Those who do homecooking and raw (non-commercial) should be fine unless you are already adding iodine in another form. Strangely enough, this was the only specific food supplement that she mentioned to avoid in regard to thyroid function" (Kimberley)

And here is a statement by Sabine re placqueoff ..."Dogs who eat common commercial diets (especially dry food) often already get 3, 4 5 times and more the amount of iodine than the recommended daily allowance, and Plaque-Off adds to that.
Just as an example, per NRC 2006 guidelines the *weekly* recommended intake of iodine for a 10 pound dog is 645 mcg.

Let's say this dog eats Orijen Adult and needs 3 1/2 cups per week (1/2 cup per day) to maintain a good weight. This amount of dry food already supplies 2,012.5 mcg of iodine, or over 300%.

If you add even just 1/2 scoop of Plaque Off daily to that (200 mcg * 7 = 1,400 mcg), you end up at 3,412.5 mcg, or almost 530%.

The "minerals such as iodine are absorbed from the diet according to need; excess minerals pass straight through" claim is totally ignorant, since if that really were the case, we wouldn't have various toxicities from excess levels, including what Dr. Dodds is referring to."

If you want a very enlightening book on this The Canine Thyroid Epidemic: Answers You Need for Your Dog: Amazon.ca: W. Jean Dodds, Diana R. Laverdure: Books
My point, Dave, was that the Starborn dogs, even being fed Plaque-off over an extended period of time, have shown no sign of thyroid dysfunction, even the really old ones. Since, genetically, my dog is the same, I tend to think that the dangers of bad teeth outweigh the dangers of Plaque-Off.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
yeah Karen , to each their own. I'm not one to argue with a person who has studied canine thyroid function for twenty-five years, and is without question the leading expert in this field. She records the data. If you want to argue based on whether your dogs' teeth are cleaner, I say brush them with something not so risky. JMO Seems today's' society wants the quick fix. I say , to work on the tartar problem, prevent it , don't treat it after the fact with something we know has the potential to be harmful. Dogs are dogs, and I'm sorry Tom's dogs are no different than anyone's dogs when it comes to this sort of thing.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,525
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
yeah Karen , to each their own. I'm not one to argue with a person who has studied canine thyroid function for twenty-five years, and is without question the leading expert in this field. She records the data. If you want to argue based on whether your dogs' teeth are cleaner, I say brush them with something not so risky. JMO Seems today's' society wants the quick fix. I say , to work on the tartar problem, prevent it , don't treat it after the fact with something we know has the potential to be harmful. Dogs are dogs, and I'm sorry Tom's dogs are no different than anyone's dogs when it comes to this sort of thing.
Just to be clear, I've never said anything about doing something about tartar after the fact. I was the first one to say that she needs to brush Carley's teeth regularly, as I do with Kodi's. And I think, by now, that you should know me well enough to know that I am not one looking for "quick fixes".


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Just to be clear, I've never said anything about doing something about tartar after the fact. I was the first one to say that she needs to brush Carley's teeth regularly, as I do with Kodi's. And I think, by now, that you should know me well enough to know that I am not one looking for "quick fixes".
Karen, no problem, I did say society. Most people buy this when they discover tartar. After all, it is called Plaque Off , not Plaque preventer. Karen you're free to recommend any product you want. I simply want to put both sides of the story out there so people can make informed descisons.You did say Dave doesn't recommend it .. and I simply explained why.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 33 Posts
I use a tiny toothbrush and spray it with dental rinse or paste. I try to brush their teeth daily. I just do the fronts, because they won't open their mouths for me. They get bones, so I think that helps.





lfung5 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Charleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 609
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions. this really helps. I will get some toothpaste and start slowly letting charley taste the toothpaste and then using just my finger etc. I also like the idea of a terry sock for my finger. perhaps I can make one.

dave and karen - thanks for boths sides of the plaqueoff question. it's really helpful.

I feel behind the eight ball here. didn't realize I should be brushing charley's teeth by now. he's a 13 pound bone chewing maniac and so I just assumed...but obviously I was wrong.

Starborn Love Me Good & Plenty (Charley)
Charleysmom is offline  
The Following User Nominates Charleysmom Great Photo:
Gabs (04-01-2013)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome