Hello everybody! I have been reading posts on this board for the past several days, as I have been researching Havanese dogs.
Our family is at a point where we are considering our next step. Since 1991, we have had Basset Hounds (my first was a 2-yr-old rescue, second was purebred pup, third was offspring from the second). Basset #1 is deceased, and #2 is now 14 yrs old... we are accepting that she won't be with us much longer. Her daughter (Basset #3) is very very attached to her mother, and so are considering options for easing the transition for her... and adding another fur-baby to our family!
That's our background in a nutshell. As to why I've been looking into Havanese (yes, I realize they are DRAMATICALLY different than Bassets! LOL), there are several factors.
* My mother and brother are allergic to dogs, so I'd prefer to get a "hypoallergenic" type breed, to make visiting more reasonable.
* We have 3 young daughters, so a pup would have to be a "child-friendly" breed.
* I have a bad back, so lifting a 40+ pound Basset for bathing has taken a toll on me. I think I'd prefer a lighter pet this time!
* Non-shedding really appeals to me. LOL Who'dathunk a BASSET (i.e. very short hair) could SHED so much? LOL
* The smell... oh the SMELL. YIKES! Have any of you been in a room with a hound dog? LOL If not bathed at least once a week, they are purely pungent.
I have known for years that Bichons met these qualities, but a recent search showed that Havanese rank higher on the "child-friendly" aspect. Does anybody know if that's true, or just a subjective opinion?
I hope I am not offending anybody here, as it seems that several of you are more interested in breeding/showing, whereas (at least, at this point) I am merely looking for a wonderful pet. Havanese seem like terrific dogs, totally adorable and affectionate, and I'd love to have one join our family!
Also, just FYI, we live in Alabama, and I haven't seen any breeders even close to our area. I see that Tom is in NC (what part, Tom?), and another lady here lives in TN (are you a breeder? or did you get your dog somewhere in our area?).
Any advice/recommendations/information you folks can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
I'm very very new to this, and trying to learn as much as possible, before approaching my husband about the financial investment.