Bedtime+walks questions - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jcbpaisley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bedtime+walks questions

For the first month or so that Diva lived with us, she slept in her crate next to our bed. When she was doing fine with that we started leaving her crate out in the leaving room and she sleeps there. This is nice because when we're in the living room she can hang out in the crate if she wants, without us having to move the crate into the bedroom at night.

We live in a very small apartment and she is now reliably housetrained and is allowed free reign of the living room and kitchen while we're out. (bedroom and bathroom doors shut) However, we are still shutting her in her crate at night and she sometimes (once every few days) barks for a while, clearly wanting out, after we put her to bed. Do we need to shut her in the crate for bed? Since she's allowed to wander the kitchen and living room on her own anyway, should I be letting her wander around and sleep where she wants now that she's older? We are trying to not have her sleep in the bed with us although it is sooo tempting of course.

I thought the bedtime barking might be due to not being tired enough and not having enough exercise, but we walk every day and play fetch extensively. The barking thing happens randomly including days where she's quite tuckered out from a very long walk.

Another question is how far do you walk your dogs every day? And how far is ok for a "special" once-in-a-while long walk? I enjoy walks and can go for miles, and she always seems ready to keep going, but she's just a little thing and I don't want to over exert her. She's almost 6 months now, and 9 pounds.
jcbpaisley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
m0rg4n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texan from Illinois currently out of pocket
Posts: 135
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any advice but we are right there in the same boat with 6 month old Indy. Ours has been more of a temperature issue - it's been hot (as in 80's with high humidity) but we don't have air conditioning so the bedroom is warmer than the cool tiled living room. It's gotten to the point where our bedtime routine is followed up until Indy ~used~ to walk in and curl up but now he stops at the bedroom door and lays down to just watch us.

I take Indy on at least a mile walk in the morning, another mile around noon and at least a short walk before bedtime. With the change in weather I've been taking him for a two mile walk in the morning because he refuses to walk in the afternoon and my daughter will either take him down the street to the fields and run with him (on a 10 meter leash) or I will take him for another mile before it gets dark. The longest he's ever gone in one trip was three miles and he slept for over an hour straight after we made it back home. Right now the heat and humidity zap him of energy far faster than any distance.
m0rg4n is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jcbpaisley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used to walk lots of different routes with Diva, but she was so overstimulated and out of control outside that we started walking the same route most days to keep it routine, which has made walks much more calm and pleasant. That walk is 1.5 miles.

Yesterday we took a 2 mile, very steep uphill walk to a friends apartment, where we relaxed and played some fetch and got ice cream. (Well, the people got the ice cream. Diva had water, haha.) After about a 1.5 hour break we walked the 2 miles downhill back home. She was definitely tired after that walk, but she was still ready to RLH and pulling the leash in excitement the whole way back. Do you guys think this was too much exertion for her?
jcbpaisley is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
 
m0rg4n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texan from Illinois currently out of pocket
Posts: 135
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbpaisley View Post
Yesterday we took a 2 mile, very steep uphill walk to a friends apartment, where we relaxed and played some fetch and got ice cream. (Well, the people got the ice cream. Diva had water, haha.) After about a 1.5 hour break we walked the 2 miles downhill back home. She was definitely tired after that walk, but she was still ready to RLH and pulling the leash in excitement the whole way back. Do you guys think this was too much exertion for her?
I wouldn't think so. Indy is very good at letting me know when he's done (he will, quite simply, lay down). If she was still walking and had a pretty decent break in between the walks I don't think it's a problem but only you know your puppy that well.
m0rg4n is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbpaisley View Post
For the first month or so that Diva lived with us, she slept in her crate next to our bed. When she was doing fine with that we started leaving her crate out in the leaving room and she sleeps there. This is nice because when we're in the living room she can hang out in the crate if she wants, without us having to move the crate into the bedroom at night.

We live in a very small apartment and she is now reliably housetrained and is allowed free reign of the living room and kitchen while we're out. (bedroom and bathroom doors shut) However, we are still shutting her in her crate at night and she sometimes (once every few days) barks for a while, clearly wanting out, after we put her to bed. Do we need to shut her in the crate for bed? Since she's allowed to wander the kitchen and living room on her own anyway, should I be letting her wander around and sleep where she wants now that she's older? We are trying to not have her sleep in the bed with us although it is sooo tempting of course.

I thought the bedtime barking might be due to not being tired enough and not having enough exercise, but we walk every day and play fetch extensively. The barking thing happens randomly including days where she's quite tuckered out from a very long walk.

Another question is how far do you walk your dogs every day? And how far is ok for a "special" once-in-a-while long walk? I enjoy walks and can go for miles, and she always seems ready to keep going, but she's just a little thing and I don't want to over exert her. She's almost 6 months now, and 9 pounds.
At 6 months, Kodi was regularly walking 2 - 3 miles with us, as long as it wasn't too hot out. The farthest he's walked (but after he was an adult) was about 6 miles. He handled it with no trouble at all. He does seem to tire more quickly on pavement than in the woods, but I find the same is true of me, so I guess it's not surprising that an unforgiving surface would be more taxing. But in the woods, (since he's off leash in the woods unless there is a coyote danger) he covers more than twice the distance we do... running ahead, running back to check in, falling behind, running to catch up, etc.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Jacqueline
 
sprorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,090
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
bring water. and a portable dog bowl, then you are good to go. fitness is the same for dogs as it is for humans, the more you work out the better shape you are in.

and, honestly, with my own dogs, if they are tired, they lay down. till they are rested, then they walk again, and all my dogs love to walk, sometimes the weather is too warm.
sprorchid is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
swaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312
Submit Photo: 12
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
All dogs are different, I guess. Sofie does not seem to enjoy walks that much. Lots of stopping to look around, picking up whatever she can find on the road. She is still a little skittish about noises (even ones she has heard many times before). She also lays down after just 1/2 mile or less. I love walking and use to do 3 miles 6 days a week. I miss it. If she doesn't start to pick up the pace, I am going without her! LOL!
swaye is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaye View Post
All dogs are different, I guess. Sofie does not seem to enjoy walks that much. Lots of stopping to look around, picking up whatever she can find on the road. She is still a little skittish about noises (even ones she has heard many times before). She also lays down after just 1/2 mile or less. I love walking and use to do 3 miles 6 days a week. I miss it. If she doesn't start to pick up the pace, I am going without her! LOL!
If you do some serious loose leash walking training with her, so that she understands that walks are a time to WALK, not to sniff around, pick things up, dilly dally, etc., she's probably improve with time. She's still young too! You may still eventually have your walking partner.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
swaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312
Submit Photo: 12
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
If you do some serious loose leash walking training with her, so that she understands that walks are a time to WALK, not to sniff around, pick things up, dilly dally, etc., she's probably improve with time. She's still young too! You may still eventually have your walking partner.
Karen, I have and she was doing well in my estimation. Just in the last 7-10 days she had regressed. She ALWAYS has her nose to the ground. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I don't want to pull on her.
swaye is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaye View Post
Karen, I have and she was doing well in my estimation. Just in the last 7-10 days she had regressed. She ALWAYS has her nose to the ground. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I don't want to pull on her.
You may not be doing anything wrong... Progress in training isn't linear. There are aleays peaks, valleys and plateaus. Just keep at it, and she'll improve with time!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome