Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
You can try benadryl. the dosing for dogs is 1 mg per lb, but I find that to be a little high. the small pink ones are 25 mg. so if your dog weight 8 lbs, it's 8 mgs, you but can try 5mgs.
you should administer it for a couple of days to see if the itchiness subsides, just like humans, the histamines have released and you need to let those run it's course.
but yes, an elimination diet is in order. if it's environmental allergies, trees or mold, the benadryl will help.
You should check the skin to see if you can see a rash or anything specific. when you go to a dermatologist they take a sample of the skin and run tests and look under the microscope to see what it might be.
when I went for my little guy, he didn't have any skin irritation, so there was nothing to Dx. they said to come back when the 'rash' has manifested.
and food allergies in general are rare, just an FYI.
Last edited by sprorchid; 09-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.