just wondering why she does this? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 354
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
just wondering why she does this?

Dionna, my havanese, does these little 'downward dog' stretches which look exactly like a mini down dog stretch--she extends her arms out, arches her back and rump is in the air. At times, I know she is just stretching as she is getting up from laying down but other times it seems kindof random, for example she is up and walking and then 'assumes the position' so to speak and does this little stretch. Is this just a dog thing and 'it is what it is' or does this mean something more.

Since I do yoga it has always intrigued me LOL. She is very well behaved and a love bug btw so I have no complaints or concerns regarding her temperment or behaviors.

I am trying to catch a picture of it because it is cute
andra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,685
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andra View Post
Dionna, my havanese, does these little 'downward dog' stretches which look exactly like a mini down dog stretch--she extends her arms out, arches her back and rump is in the air. At times, I know she is just stretching as she is getting up from laying down but other times it seems kindof random, for example she is up and walking and then 'assumes the position' so to speak and does this little stretch. Is this just a dog thing and 'it is what it is' or does this mean something more.

Since I do yoga it has always intrigued me LOL. She is very well behaved and a love bug btw so I have no complaints or concerns regarding her temperment or behaviors.

I am trying to catch a picture of it because it is cute
Usually, if it's not "just" a stretch, it is used as a peaceful, happy greeting toward a person or another dog. It means, "I'm friendly, and I'd like to play with you!" It's a happy thing!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 354
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, I am glad to hear that! She sometimes does it quite a bit and it got me wondering. It is really cute and her face looks so cute when she does it. The yogi masters got it right when they named the asana 'downward facing dog' because it looks like that except her face is looking at me, not down.
andra is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,685
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andra View Post
Ok, I am glad to hear that! She sometimes does it quite a bit and it got me wondering. It is really cute and her face looks so cute when she does it. The yogi masters got it right when they named the asana 'downward facing dog' because it looks like that except her face is looking at me, not down.
The fact that she does it facing you makes me quite sure she's using it as a greeting! I bet she's got a big smile on her face when she does it!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Canela, Vino & Jack's Mom
 
BFrancs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Born and raised in Chicago; now North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 693
Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Canela does the same thing... She is too cute when does it. I always thought she was stretching too but good to know she's giving me her greeting of the day n she smile while she's doing it. Vino has done it a couple of times but not like her.


Sent from Petguide.com App

Betty AKA Canela, Jack and Vino's Mom







In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog..
BFrancs is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
What you're describing is probably a happy to see you, behavior. Generally anything close to this description is considered a play bow. Turid Rugaas coined the term calming signals of which this is one example.Rugaas has said that dogs purposely use “calming signals” to calm another dog or the other being with whom they are interacting. Many ethologists differ with her in that she says these actions are deliberate on the dog's part. Today ethologists think these "calming signals" are inate , hardwired behaviors and much more complicated. Either way the dog can use it to diffuse tension or simply as a greeting bow. A greeting bow is usually with familiar persons or dogs and will quite often have the dog stretch further forward with its front legs than when it's used in an appeasement situation. This is a very interesting area that is currently being researched. Turid is being challenged in her statements as far as these calming signals being deliberate. They likely have more to do with the acting dog's own state of mind to affect the behavior of the other dog or human for the purpose of appeasement rather than a deliberate intent to change the state of mind of the other dog or person. It's a behavior that many
people put on cue as it truly is a friendly thing. Early morning greetings or coming home greetings are a good time to have your clicker handy. lol

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,685
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 299 Times in 297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
What you're describing is probably a happy to see you, behavior. Generally anything close to this description is considered a play bow. Turid Rugaas coined the term calming signals of which this is one example.Rugaas has said that dogs purposely use “calming signals” to calm another dog or the other being with whom they are interacting. Many ethologists differ with her in that she says these actions are deliberate on the dog's part. Today ethologists think these "calming signals" are inate , hardwired behaviors and much more complicated. Either way the dog can use it to diffuse tension or simply as a greeting bow. A greeting bow is usually with familiar persons or dogs and will quite often have the dog stretch further forward with its front legs than when it's used in an appeasement situation. This is a very interesting area that is currently being researched. Turid is being challenged in her statements as far as these calming signals being deliberate. They likely have more to do with the acting dog's own state of mind to affect the behavior of the other dog or human for the purpose of appeasement rather than a deliberate intent to change the state of mind of the other dog or person. It's a behavior that many
people put on cue as it truly is a friendly thing. Early morning greetings or coming home greetings are a good time to have your clicker handy. lol
I have a good friend, (the one who helped me pick Kodi!) who is a trainer and teaches animal behavior at a college near here. For their dog behavior and dog training classes, they use rescue greyhounds that come up from a track in Florida. The students work with the dogs for the year, and at the end of the year they hold a big "Pet Fest" where many of these dogs, who now have great pet manners, are placed in happy adoptive homes. (the ones that don't get adopted by the kids who have worked with them all year! )

Anyway, these dogs, while the typical, docile greyhound temperament, come in somewhat "shell-shocked" from their previous racing life. Also, greyhounds find it hard to sit to great because of the way they are built. It is well known that dogs who greet people well are more likely to be adopted quickly. So one of the first things they teach the dogs to do is play-bow as a greeting. It puts the dog in a happier, more relaxed frame of mind, and is added "cuteness factor" when they are up for adoption. Who can resist it!?!?


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
yeah that would elicit a good first impression. I love Greys. For the abuse they quite often are put through they can really come around great with some tlc. I know a lady in Nova Scotia who has placed hundreds of them. Super dogs in my opinion.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,772
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Jean Dodds Hemopet does a lot for Greys http://hemopet.org/

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Lila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado born and raised living in Dayton, NV
Posts: 347
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
What you're describing is probably a happy to see you, behavior. Generally anything close to this description is considered a play bow. Turid Rugaas coined the term calming signals of which this is one example.Rugaas has said that dogs purposely use “calming signals” to calm another dog or the other being with whom they are interacting. Many ethologists differ with her in that she says these actions are deliberate on the dog's part. Today ethologists think these "calming signals" are inate , hardwired behaviors and much more complicated. Either way the dog can use it to diffuse tension or simply as a greeting bow. A greeting bow is usually with familiar persons or dogs and will quite often have the dog stretch further forward with its front legs than when it's used in an appeasement situation. This is a very interesting area that is currently being researched. Turid is being challenged in her statements as far as these calming signals being deliberate. They likely have more to do with the acting dog's own state of mind to affect the behavior of the other dog or human for the purpose of appeasement rather than a deliberate intent to change the state of mind of the other dog or person. It's a behavior that many
people put on cue as it truly is a friendly thing. Early morning greetings or coming home greetings are a good time to have your clicker handy. lol
Mikey does this and I just assumed he was stretching (which sometimes I'm sure he is, especially in the morning) but now that I read this Dave, I know there's more to it because just today he met a dog on our walk who was friendly but a little leery of Mikey. Mikey's still a pup and not the calmest of dogs anyway, Mikey wanted the new dog to play so bad but the dog was, like I said, leery and nervous. Mikey tried everyway he could to get the dog to play and relax then finally he did the streching or bowing thing (whatever you want to call it) and I swear he was trying to tell him "it's ok, be calm, see me, I'm calm, we can play" While he was bowing, the other dog calmed down so, of course, Mikey right away got up and wanted to play - exubriently and the other dog was like - ummmm, I don't think so. He snapped, just a little, and Mikey was like, oh brother, ok and bowed again. It was really cute.

Lila
Lila is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome