Can dogs give you poisen ivy if they are in it? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
casperkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,119
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can dogs give you poisen ivy if they are in it?

My husband and I were out in the back half of our yard this weekend and he saw some poisen ivy and got the dogs out fast. He gets it really bad. When he was a kid he was hospitalized for it. He woke up this morning with it all over his hands. It is really causing him some pain. He is trying to get out of work to come home. He has appointment with the Dr tommorow because they think he might have mono or something. He is not feeling well at all. I feel soo bad for him. I am going to give the dogs a bath today. I hope he gets better soon!!!

~~Mommy"s Little Angel~~
casperkeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
Yes I think they can.
My sister was so allergic to poison oak. She often got it from petting dogs hours later (even if she was NO where near it)
To your husband---Get well soon!

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Amanda
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,576
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 22 Posts
I would think it could be on their fur. Maybe bath them with gloves to be safe!

Dora, Dasher, & Belle's Mommy
www.belledoradasher.blogspot.com

Thinking of adding a Neezer, check out this thread!
ama0722 is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Luv My Biewer
 
Me&2Girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 3,068
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes, you can get it from your animals. I feel so sorry for your husband. It can be miserable. I'm not sure a bath is going to do it for getting the poison "oil" off - maybe google it and find a good reference.


Northern California
Member BBCA (Biewerbci.org)


Home of VanLeigha Jr. Handlers


Me&2Girls is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)
 
Sissygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,738
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here is what petplace.com says:

Poison oak and poison ivy belong to the group of plants called toxicodendron species. These are also known as Rhus species. The toxic principle in poison oak and poison ivy is urushiol. This toxin is an oil resin found in the plant sap. Animals are quite resistant to the effects of urushiol but can transmit the toxin to a person.

Dogs and cats typically come in contact with the poison ivy or poison oak plant in wooded areas. They may ingest some of the plant but, more likely, they will rub against it while walking. The sap from the plant then adheres to the hair coat, and when you pet your dog or cat later, the sap transfers from their fur to your skin. If you are susceptible to poison oak or poison ivy, skin irritation can occur.

In animals, exposure to urushiol seldom results in skin irritation.

What to Watch For


Red inflamed skin

Itchiness

Raised bumps or swellings on the skin

Vomiting/diarrhea if plant is ingested

Veterinary Care

Veterinary care is recommended if the animal develops a severe reaction to the plant, especially if ingested. Excessive vomiting, diarrhea or weakness should prompt veterinary care.

Diagnosis

The diagnosis is based on known exposure or ingestion of the plant.

Treatment

Treatment of urushiol toxicity is based on the severity of the signs. For those animals with skin irritation, prolonged bathing and rinsing for at least 10 minutes is recommended.

For those animals affected after ingesting the plant, hospitalization with intravenous fluids may be necessary. Activated charcoal may be administered if it is suspected that more plant material is present in the stomach.

Home Care

For those pets exposed to topical urushiol, prolonged bathing and rinsing, at least 10 minutes, is recommended. Be careful to wear gloves when bathing the pet so you do not come in contact with the urushiol.

For those animals ingesting the plant, monitoring for vomiting, lack of appetite or diarrhea is recommended.

Preventative Care

Preventing exposure to poison ivy or poison oak is the key to preventing urushiol toxicity. Do not allow your pet to roam freely. When on vacation, take care to avoid poison oak or poison ivy plants. If your pet is known to have come in contact with poison oak or poison ivy, immediate prolonged bathing can help diminish the risk of toxicity. Fortunately, most dogs and cats seem to be resistant to the effects of poison ivy and poison oak.


Santa, Sissygirl
& Marie
Sissygirl is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
casperkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,119
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you Marie. That is very helpful. Should I have them bathed by a groomer will they have better stuff than I do? Just wondering

~~Mommy"s Little Angel~~
casperkeep is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,482
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Megan, oh yes, he can get it from dogs. We used to live surrounded by woods and my DH would get it all the time. Any time he was outside he'd come in and shower with Comet (I'm not kidding!). Many time she'd have to be on cortisone.

If your DH has a history of severe reactions I would not wait until tomorrow. Try to get him in today. The earlier he can get treatment the less severe the outbreak.
JanB is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)
 
Sissygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,738
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 3 Posts
Megan,

I really don't know but I would think that you could do it - be sure to use gloves to protect yourself.

Your little ones don't have skin irritation but I think I would wash/rinse them for the 10 minutes anyway.

The article said:
For those animals with skin irritation, prolonged bathing and rinsing, lasting at least 10 minutes, is recommended.


Santa, Sissygirl
& Marie
Sissygirl is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)
 
Sissygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,738
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 3 Posts
Also, at petplace.com they have pet experts answering questions 24/7

here is the link - scroll to the bottom of the page. You might have to sign up for the newletter first.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/poison-...oak/page1.aspx


Santa, Sissygirl
& Marie
Sissygirl is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
I think there is a special soap for that but I can't think of the name

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome