ANOTHER...food question... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kicker0927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 194
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up ANOTHER...food question...

I've been reading a whole lot about foods out there and I'm about ready to beat my head against the wall due to the varying reviews and opinions regarding EVERY option available. I am picking my puppy up in 2 weeks and NEED to choose a food. The breeder is currently feeding Nutrisource Small Breed Puppy formula, but its hard for me to find that where I live. I have looked at Orijen, but that is very expensive. I began to look at Natural Balance, TOTW, Royal Canin, and others. What do people recommend for small breed puppy formulas??? I'm assuming I want to stick to a small breed formula due to the protein contents? Thanks for your input!
kicker0927 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 AM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 32 Posts
Fromm is one of the few who don't use ingredients from China. They are very very good. The only other 2 I like are Acana and Orijens as far as dry goes. Fromm is the least expensive of the 3 and has lower protein and the kibble size is small. I get my dog food from chewys website. Free shipping and great prices. Bella and Scuds are currently eating it but will soon transition to Primal, HK or Ziwipeak. Fred is on primal due to skin allergies. He started it a couple weeks ago and is doing well.

I don't feed anything with ingredients from China because of all the recalls.....even treats. Trouble with the food ratings is they don't consider where the companies source their ingredients and most get things from China. The companies I mentioned above do not. I called them myself.






Last edited by lfung5; 12-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
lfung5 is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 491
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
You dont want to cheap out on the food. A small dog does not eat that much and you'll save in vet bills later. In fact you probably dont need to take the dogs to the vet in general as much as people tell you to do but that is another topic. I agree with the previous poster, you want to avoid foods from areas without heavy regulation. The US is even a little sketchy on some things. The US allows things that the EU doesnt.

Many people on here use Honest Kitchen and adding chicken etc using recommendations from a one time consultation with Sabine. If you shop carefully home cooked is not expensive. I use a combination of Ziwi Peak and commercial raw because I am not good with doing home prepared.

My neighbor feeds Fromm, his dog seems to do well on it. You can also sometimes get a better deal buying online either through promotions such as on wag and/or frequent buying cards.
SJ1998 is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Dana and John
 
Gibbs Mom and Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 532
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
My wife and I agonized over our food choice for a while. Our breeder was feeding a high caliber kibble. After doing my research, I decided a raw frozen was best for us. I emphasize "best for us" because I don't mean to imply it is the best. We were not going to prepare the food ourselves and I did not feel the need to consult with Sabine at that time.

We narrowed our raw frozen choice to Nature's Variety Instinct and Primal Raw. We found Primal Raw to be more economical than Natures Variety in terms of price to quantity fed. Primal has a variety of flavors we rotate:

Chicken
Duck
Pheasant
Lamb
Venison
Beef

They also have Rabbit, but Dana would probably divorce me if I fed Gibbs rabbit. She had two rabbits growing up, and in addition to other names, I call her my little "Bunny Head".

Please note that we don't have any children to raise, so we were not overly concerned about the price. It is more expensive than Kibble.

John





Last edited by Gibbs Mom and Dad; 12-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Gibbs Mom and Dad is offline  
The Following User Nominates Gibbs Mom and Dad Great Photo:
cruzr (12-13-2013)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
misstray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 2,113
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I feed Orijen and Brody does well on it. Some people's dogs find it too rich and use Acana (same company as Orijen) instead as it's a bit lower in protein. I don't find feeding that very expensive. My dog only eats, at most, 3/4 cup of it a day (usually it's closer to 1/2 cup). A bag lasts for a very long time. I wish *my* grocery bill was as cheap!

Tracy and Brody


A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs Mom and Dad View Post
My wife and I agonized over our food choice for a while. Our breeder was feeding a high caliber kibble. After doing my research, I decided a raw frozen was best for us. I emphasize "best for us" because I don't mean to imply it is the best. We were not going to prepare the food ourselves and I did not feel the need to consult with Sabine at that time.

We narrowed our raw frozen choice to Nature's Variety Instinct and Primal Raw. We found Primal Raw to be more economical than Natures Variety in terms of price to quantity fed. Primal has a variety of flavors we rotate:

Chicken
Duck
Pheasant
Lamb
Venison
Beef

They also have Rabbit, but Dana would probably divorce me if I fed Gibbs rabbit. She had two rabbits growing up, and in addition to other names, I call her my little "Bunny Head".

Please note that we don't have any children to raise, so we were not overly concerned about the price. It is more expensive than Kibble.
You might want to rotate the more common proteins and save the more exotic one just in case he develops an allergy. You will then need to feed a protein source he's never had.





lfung5 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Colbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 305
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 5 Posts
I am currently feeding Earthborn Hollistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast. I can get a 5 lb bag locally for $15. It lasts for about a month. I will soon be switching her to Orijen 6 Fish which I feel is a better choice. It sells locally for $22 a bag. So for us the difference is about 25 cents a day. The protein in the 6 fish is higher (38% vs 34%). If she has any problems I will switch to the Arcana Pacifica (Arcana and Orijen are both owned by Champion Foods) which has lower protein, I think it is 28%. It is also slightly cheaper at $20 a bag.

As far as kibbles go, Orijen (and Arcana) is one of the best ones as all the ingredients are sourced from Canada and from good sources.
Hope this helps.

Ron (and Colbie and Scarlett)
Colbie is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Dana and John
 
Gibbs Mom and Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 532
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
You might want to rotate the more common proteins and save the more exotic one just in case he develops an allergy. You will then need to feed a protein source he's never had.
This gives me something to think about.

John




Gibbs Mom and Dad is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyBlu View Post
I am currently feeding Earthborn Hollistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast. I can get a 5 lb bag locally for $15. It lasts for about a month. I will soon be switching her to Orijen 6 Fish which I feel is a better choice. It sells locally for $22 a bag. So for us the difference is about 25 cents a day. The protein in the 6 fish is higher (38% vs 34%). If she has any problems I will switch to the Arcana Pacifica (Arcana and Orijen are both owned by Champion Foods) which has lower protein, I think it is 28%. It is also slightly cheaper at $20 a bag.

As far as kibbles go, Orijen (and Arcana) is one of the best ones as all the ingredients are sourced from Canada and from good sources.
Hope this helps.
I forgot! Earthborn is great too! They don't use anything from China and their food is made in a human grade facility.





lfung5 is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs Mom and Dad View Post
This gives me something to think about.
I'm currently feeding the beef and lamb Primal. I'm saving the exotic ones. Fred has skin allergies and I am still trying to figure out what's causing them. His skin is almost cleared up…..





lfung5 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome