Join Date: Jun 2008
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Decision - Another Hav?
My girl Casey is very, very sensitive and very, very attached to DH and I. She seems to have some confidence issues -- she barks and growls at stangers, is very shy around other dogs, and hates to be left alone. She is just finishing up obedience classes, which is kind of funny because everyone thinks she is so well behaved, but it is really just fear -- she doesn't want to move!
Anyway, she is not alone very often, as DH takes her to work every day. However, there is the occasional evening when we go out and can't take her with us. Also, DH travels -- sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time, and she must stay home alone while I work. The problem is that she does not do well when left alone. She doesn't really do any damage in the house (although she has nibbled on the baseboard a bit), but she literally lays in front of the door waiting for us to return -- I know this because I can feel the warmth on the tile floor in front of the door where she has been laying. I often leave her with treats and toys (stuffed kong, which she normally LOVES), but she ignores them. It is so sad to think she just lays there...waiting.
There is no doubt that we will eventually get another Hav, which I think will help keep Casey company.....but we already have two retreivers ('outside/kenneled' dogs), and I have vowed to wait until they pass away (they are aged 12 and 13) -- I really don't want to be the 'crazy dog lady' with 4 dogs (and a cat!), and also it is alot of work and expense to have so many dogs.
DH would get another Hav tomorrow....but I am hesitant. Should I wait?