stool problems still - probiotics? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
stool problems still - probiotics?

With Simcoe's initial round of stool issues they just put her on a low fat diet for a few days and gave her anti inflammatories, that seemed to sort her system out fine, but she was spayed a few days later. Her first few poops after her spay were also solid, but after that they regressed.

As the vet had said that it's just an imbalance of good vs bad bacteria in her stomach, I started giving her coconut oil with her food instead of going back to the vet because when I phoned they just told me to come back for more anti inflammatories, which seems to be fixing the symptom and not the cause to me!

Anyway, her food will be running out in about a week and a half, she did well on it for the first week before all of this started. Should I switch her? She's currently on Acana duck and pear, which is theoretically good and doesn't contain any of the more common allergens. I've found that as soon as I skip coconut oil in a meal her stool texture gets soft immediately. Or maybe adding some probiotics? I didn't see any difference in texture when I was adding plain yogurt. Any advice would be wonderful!
Serenissima is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Pucks104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,362
Submit Photo: 36
Photo Submissions 60 Times in 60 Posts
Definitely try some probiotics. Also some canned pumpkin, plain pumpkin not the pumpkin pie filling that has spices in it. Is her stool issue due to allergies or some other digestive issue?


Pucks104 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Nancy Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 37
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My havs don't do well (soft sticky poops) on high protein (Acana or Orijen). Anything 30% or over gives them trouble. Mine do well on FROMM (fish or chicken) and currently Mulligan's stew (chicken). Also fiber content is important (anything under 4% and my havs have issues) Also, I don't think all digestive enzymes are equal either. My havs do best on Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer (I order it from www.naturesfarmacy.com ). I agree pumpkin always helps firm up stool and sweet potato (I just microwave, peel and cut up in chunks and give a few bites with each meal)

STARBORN SUPERSONIC
Nancy Collins is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
My dog LOVED Acana however due to the high protein and richness (he was eating the duck) he developed colitis which was a difficult month of rehabbing. I think it's a good food but too rich for many dogs. Based on my experience, I would consider switching to something that's not so rich and perhaps a bit less protein.
littlebuddy is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,606
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenissima View Post
With Simcoe's initial round of stool issues they just put her on a low fat diet for a few days and gave her anti inflammatories, that seemed to sort her system out fine, but she was spayed a few days later. Her first few poops after her spay were also solid, but after that they regressed.

As the vet had said that it's just an imbalance of good vs bad bacteria in her stomach, I started giving her coconut oil with her food instead of going back to the vet because when I phoned they just told me to come back for more anti inflammatories, which seems to be fixing the symptom and not the cause to me!

Anyway, her food will be running out in about a week and a half, she did well on it for the first week before all of this started. Should I switch her? She's currently on Acana duck and pear, which is theoretically good and doesn't contain any of the more common allergens. I've found that as soon as I skip coconut oil in a meal her stool texture gets soft immediately. Or maybe adding some probiotics? I didn't see any difference in texture when I was adding plain yogurt. Any advice would be wonderful!
Did you ask the vet WHAT bacteria was causing the problem? Did the vet check? Kodi gets Clostridium overgrowth from time to time. This is a bacteria that is "normal" for a dog to have in their intestines, but if it gets out of control, it makes them sick (diarrhea, vomiting, gas, stomach cramps if it gets bad) Kodi, is unfortunately, just recovering from another bout, and he is on antibiotics and strong probiotics until it clears up. We keep him on probiotics all the time.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Did you ask the vet WHAT bacteria was causing the problem? Did the vet check? Kodi gets Clostridium overgrowth from time to time. This is a bacteria that is "normal" for a dog to have in their intestines, but if it gets out of control, it makes them sick (diarrhea, vomiting, gas, stomach cramps if it gets bad) Kodi, is unfortunately, just recovering from another bout, and he is on antibiotics and strong probiotics until it clears up. We keep him on probiotics all the time.
Karen, the vet said that it wasn't any particular one, rather just a high volume of a lot of different types. This is why she didn't give me any antibiotics, but maybe I should go back and ask for some? I guess the less expensive route is to change her food first though.
Serenissima is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks104 View Post
Definitely try some probiotics. Also some canned pumpkin, plain pumpkin not the pumpkin pie filling that has spices in it. Is her stool issue due to allergies or some other digestive issue?
Her stool issue is apparently caused by an imbalance of bacteria in her system. Before she came to me she was on Eukaneuba and apparently fine so I don't think she has any allergies.
Serenissima is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,606
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenissima View Post
Karen, the vet said that it wasn't any particular one, rather just a high volume of a lot of different types. This is why she didn't give me any antibiotics, but maybe I should go back and ask for some? I guess the less expensive route is to change her food first though.
No, you don't want to give abx without a good reason. As long as she has checked for Clostridium, I'd look for other solutions first.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome