So......Jill and Hedy have known about this for awhile because they're local and I hope to see them at a summer play date, and Katie at Mop Top gave me some great advice too, but I can't sit on my hands any longer, I want to be able to participate in some of the current discussions. I was going to wait until I had her home, just in case anything happened in the meantime to thwart my plans because I know I'm the girl who cried wolf, but I'll take my chances!
Some of you I'm sure remember me as the crazy lady last year who wanted a Hav, asked a million questions, got close a couple times and couldn't go through with it. I think my my last freakout was over what to feed. Total nut-job, I know. I got hung up on the details and it froze me in my tracks.
Well, many thanks for all your advice and encouragement - it was very helpful, and it seems like the solution was to step away from it for awhile and stop over-thinking it. I have been lurking and reading most of your postings nearly every day since then (trying not to dwell on the threads about illness, potty training problems and poop-eaters - lol!), which has helped a lot in my feeling prepared, and about 3 weeks ago my future furry companion was born. Incidentally, I also talked to Jennifer Clevenger about her litter, and of course would love to have one of her black beauties, but because I wanted a female and she couldn't guarantee she'd have one for me, I went with another great choice.
I had already been talking to the breeder (I did my homework and feel very confident about her - in fact I nearly got a gorgeous black and tan puppy from her last year). She knew I wanted a female, and that I'm partial to the darker havs & irish pieds, so I reserved a B/W Irish Pied from her litter born Feb. 20 almost right away. She's a pretty little thing, and I just got to see her 3 week pics. It's crazy how fast they change, like I couldn't tell from her baby pics that her muzzle would be white, and it looks like she will have some little white eyebrows.
We are making the 3+ hr. drive to meet her and the parents & littermates probably the first weekend in April, at which point we'll firm up that she's a good match for us, which I sincerely hope she is because I'm already thinking of her as "The One." There is a little wiggle room to switch to another available puppy at that point if for some reason we are a pulled to a different one, or think she may not be the right choice, but in that case I'd likely be choosing from a small group of males, which is still on the table as an alternate. I gotta think we won't be disappointed, though. I'm hoping to bring her home the first weekend in May.
I am pretty sure I would not have been able to make this leap without such a great resource as this website and all the helpful folks here, so thanks again for all the kind words, advice, and patience.... looking forward to the longest wait of my life being over!
BTW, "Gabriela" is the name given by her breeder. I'll be re-naming her......