Posion Plants - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Colleen and the boys
 
sweater32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 391
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Posion Plants

ASPCA, video shows the 17 plants and flowers which are poisons to our furbabies and their symptoms.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...us-plants.html

This is a written list of the 17 plants/flowers.

Lilies
Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.
Marijuana
Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
Sago Palm
All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.
Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
Azalea/Rhododendron
Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
Oleander
All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects—including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.
Castor Bean
The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.
Cyclamen
Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.
Kalanchoe
This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.
Yew
Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.
Amaryllis
Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.
Autumn Crocus
Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.
Chrysanthemum
These popular blooms are part of the Compositae family, which contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.
English Ivy
Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.
Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)
Spathiphyllum contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.
Pothos
Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
Schefflera
Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.
sweater32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Sharlene
 
Evye's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Colleen.

Sharlene, Evye & Bentley's Mom (Taylor too)
Evye's Mom is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Linda
 
HavaneseSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 5,409
Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
A good review for us, since Spring is here! Thanks Colleen.



Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
marb42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,814
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Colleen, I have a number of palms out front where Marble goes to the bathroom. I don't think their Sable, but they do have red berries. I will be careful.
Gina

marb42 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Sharlene
 
Evye's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
I went back and reread the list. One puppy book I have also lists honeysuckle.

Sharlene, Evye & Bentley's Mom (Taylor too)
Evye's Mom is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Sharlene
 
Evye's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evye's Mom View Post
I went back and reread the list. One puppy book I have also lists honeysuckle.
Also just read that periwinkle (vinca minor) is too. I have a patio full of it !!! It didn't claim kidney, heart, liver issues...only stomach irritation.

Sharlene, Evye & Bentley's Mom (Taylor too)
Evye's Mom is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Colleen and the boys
 
sweater32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 391
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone is welcome and thanks Sharlene for the periwinkle, I have it around the house too.
sweater32 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Katie
 
MopTop Havanese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 2,217
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 14 Posts
I can add that if puppies chew on red-tipped photina leaves- they will get diarrhea!


Katie

www.MopTopHavanese.com
Paws.....and reflect on what life has given you~
MopTop Havanese is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome