Hair / Neutering - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carmenchanwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 199
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hair / Neutering

Prince turned 17 weeks yesterday, and has his Vet appt today , and suppose to receive his last dose of DHPP and Rabies.
I refused to give him 2 shots, and the vet said Prince had the core vaccines before and shouldn't have any problem, but I insist not wanting him to have Rabies with other shot in one time. She agreed, and Rabies first and DHPP next week.

The vet also recommended couple other things...
1. cut the hair at nose bridge area, and also trim some of his nose hair... ( I try to comb that area more and avoid poking to his eyes and I think he can see prefect, although his hair are growing a lot longer )
3. should have him neuter at 6 months. (that early? )
4. switch to adult formula between 6-9 months.
5. recommended the BRAVECTO oral medicine for Flea and Tick ( I told her no thank you, coz I want to do more research, and see more reviews before I give it to my pup)

I did attached 2 close up pictures of his nose bridge area, please advice...

Thank you !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140709_145033.jpg (2.59 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20140709_145040.jpg (2.29 MB, 1 views)

Carmenchanwong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
NickieTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 165
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
1. Possibly the vet doesn't know what havanese look like? Doesn't she know they have mustaches?
3. Most on this list wait until much later to neuter. I have always had dogs neutered at around 6 months with no ill effects. Your vet should have discussed the pros and cons with you. Also, small breeds are more likely to have retained baby teeth. Taking these out at the same time as nuetering means one instead of 2 times under anesthesia and also less cost. Nickie was neutered at just under 5 months because the breeders contract required that. My vet tried to talk me out of it and almost refused to do it at that age. I wasn't very happy about it myself and would have preferred to wait.
4. See advice on this list on puppy vs. adult food.
5. Never heard of BRAVECTO.

Prince is adorable.
NickieTwo is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Umm... Grooming choices are up to you. My vet has NEVER told me how to groom Jack.

Neutering - I am not going there. 6 mos, 1 year... whatever as long as it gets done.

Puppy vs. adult food - I always had my dogs on an all stages food, Taste of the Wild, so it didn't matter. Later TOTW came out with a puppy food. I really don't know the answer for this one.

Ditto on the Bravecto. Never heard of it but I would avoid any oral flea & tick meds. With the topical meds, you can space out the applications a little longer if you can get away with it.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
I think I was told to have the rabies at six mo.I live in Oregon so it may be differant depending on where you live. I like leaving the hair on the nose once it gets past the stage it is now it will go past his eyes. Then I just trim everything up from the long mustache that develops. I switched from puppy food to adult at one year. I have no idea what is best as far as neutering. Some say waiting is better. But others cant stand it when the puppy starts to mark. I wouldn't want that to become a problem.

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carmenchanwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 199
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I think I was told to have the rabies at six mo.I live in Oregon so it may be differant depending on where you live. I like leaving the hair on the nose once it gets past the stage it is now it will go past his eyes. Then I just trim everything up from the long mustache that develops. I switched from puppy food to adult at one year. I have no idea what is best as far as neutering. Some say waiting is better. But others cant stand it when the puppy starts to mark. I wouldn't want that to become a problem.
Thakns Suzi,
The vet said....better do it before he starts to mark his territory, its habit, once he develops and starts to do it, most likely will continue after neutering.

She is ..... a little pushy, whenever I turned down her idea, I can tell she is not happy, and even left the exam room before I put the leash back on Prince.

Carmenchanwong is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carmenchanwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 199
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickieTwo View Post
1. Possibly the vet doesn't know what havanese look like? Doesn't she know they have mustaches?
3. Most on this list wait until much later to neuter. I have always had dogs neutered at around 6 months with no ill effects. Your vet should have discussed the pros and cons with you. Also, small breeds are more likely to have retained baby teeth. Taking these out at the same time as nuetering means one instead of 2 times under anesthesia and also less cost. Nickie was neutered at just under 5 months because the breeders contract required that. My vet tried to talk me out of it and almost refused to do it at that age. I wasn't very happy about it myself and would have preferred to wait.
4. See advice on this list on puppy vs. adult food.
5. Never heard of BRAVECTO.

Prince is adorable.
Thanks NickleTwo.
Te vet is kind of funny, she stared at Prince's face and asked...did you take him to the groomer yet? I told her I did it myself. She continued to said, you better cut his hair here, there......
When I refused 2 shots in one time, she started to bring all her statistics out and said....I've been practicing on this field for 16 years and 99% of my puppy didn't have reaction of the rabies shot......

besides, she strongly NOT recommended raw diet.

Carmenchanwong is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carmenchanwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 199
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscsps View Post
Umm... Grooming choices are up to you. My vet has NEVER told me how to groom Jack.

Neutering - I am not going there. 6 mos, 1 year... whatever as long as it gets done.

Puppy vs. adult food - I always had my dogs on an all stages food, Taste of the Wild, so it didn't matter. Later TOTW came out with a puppy food. I really don't know the answer for this one.

Ditto on the Bravecto. Never heard of it but I would avoid any oral flea & tick meds. With the topical meds, you can space out the applications a little longer if you can get away with it.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm going to take Prince back to the Vet next week for his last dose of DHPP. and thanks God, he looked normal yesterday after the rabies shot.
the Bravecto, is pretty new in market and is good for 3 months. She highly recommended it because the one that apply to their back is sort of greasy, and pups usually roll on the carpet after applying it, so no guarantee how much actually being absorb......

Carmenchanwong is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,472
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmenchanwong View Post
Thakns Suzi,
The vet said....better do it before he starts to mark his territory, its habit, once he develops and starts to do it, most likely will continue after neutering.

She is ..... a little pushy, whenever I turned down her idea, I can tell she is not happy, and even left the exam room before I put the leash back on Prince.
Even neutered dogs, male and female, mark. Yes it can be a bad habit, but it is something you can train them only to do in appropriate places, just like pottying. I know MANY people with performance dogs who never neuter their males, and, believe me, those dogs NEVER mark where it isn't appropriate.

Kodi was neutered at 7 months. (Something i wouldn't do again, knowing what I know now) but he marks. Mostly when he is in areas where many other dogs have marked. We call it "Pee-mail" . But he has NEVER marked inside a house or other building.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,472
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmenchanwong View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I'm going to take Prince back to the Vet next week for his last dose of DHPP. and thanks God, he looked normal yesterday after the rabies shot.
the Bravecto, is pretty new in market and is good for 3 months. She highly recommended it because the one that apply to their back is sort of greasy, and pups usually roll on the carpet after applying it, so no guarantee how much actually being absorb......
That's scary. So she wants you to give something to your dog, and if he has a bad reaction, it will take 3 months to clear his system? No thanks! I think you might want to consider finding a different vet.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,472
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmenchanwong View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I'm going to take Prince back to the Vet next week for his last dose of DHPP. and thanks God, he looked normal yesterday after the rabies shot.
the Bravecto, is pretty new in market and is good for 3 months. She highly recommended it because the one that apply to their back is sort of greasy, and pups usually roll on the carpet after applying it, so no guarantee how much actually being absorb......
I actually prefer to wait a month between shots if I can.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome