Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland, Australia
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 6 Posts
Obedience Training Success
So proud of Charlie - he passed the "Control" level of obedience training last night; he was on fire.
He had to do the following with no more than 2 mistakes:
- On-leash heeling patterns with multiple direction changes
- Drop on the move (i.e. on command he drops and stays while I keep walking)
- 5 minute drop-stay
- 2 minute sit-stay
- Sit, Stand and Drop on voice command
- Sit, Stand and Drop on hand-signal only
- Informal recall (respond to "Come" command from 15m and sit in front of me)
- Formal Recall (respond to "Heel" command from 15m and return to stand at heel)
- Stay in position (either sit or drop) and turn away from treats held out by trainer. He failed this one (my boy loves his food) and was very interestedly sniffing the trainers hand but after a sharp "ah ah" from me he backed right off. This was his only mistake all night.
So now it's up to the "Advanced" level of training which is almost all off-lead training. The trainer did say that Charlie may never pass this level as typically smaller breeds don't have the attention span / staying power required. But we both love the training and dog interaction so we're going to give it a go.