Grooming the back end and in general - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Grooming the back end and in general

I personally have never groomed my dog, I have an amazing groomer who does such a great job with my dog and truth be told, it's something I am not comfortable doing. I do wash his clean his eyes and ears, brush teeth, clean paws and face and when needed any other area but for over all grooming I leave that to the professions.

Here's my question. How do you handle things under the hood? I use Costco flushable wipes on a daily basis to clean back there and things remain pretty clean but I wasn't sure if it was enough. My dog is not one who runs and rolls and digs in everything and he's very clean but I am not sure if I am doing enough in between grooming. Any advise?
littlebuddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,462
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
I personally have never groomed my dog, I have an amazing groomer who does such a great job with my dog and truth be told, it's something I am not comfortable doing. I do wash his clean his eyes and ears, brush teeth, clean paws and face and when needed any other area but for over all grooming I leave that to the professions.

Here's my question. How do you handle things under the hood? I use Costco flushable wipes on a daily basis to clean back there and things remain pretty clean but I wasn't sure if it was enough. My dog is not one who runs and rolls and digs in everything and he's very clean but I am not sure if I am doing enough in between grooming. Any advise?
I never do any special cleaning of Kodi's rear end except on the very rare occasion that he has had diarrhea, and has gotten it on his hair. He seems to stay pretty clean all on his own.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Django has always been very clean as well but since we have had an issue with the anal glands and infection I need to make sure there's nothing back there to prevent any other problems or infections.
littlebuddy is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Evelyn
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 4,652
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I would say wipe with a warm wash cloth if you are concerned. I also use unscented baby wipes on Whimsy just to freshener her up. She really doesn't need it as she keeps herself clean and she gets a bath every 10 days, but it makes me feel better.

whimsy is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, I think you nailed it, it makes him feel better. I warm up the wipe or use a soft warm cloth. You bath your dog every 10 days? I have heard that it's not good to wash our havs. frequently. I am lucky that my dog stays clean other than the paws and face washes but I think it would stress him out beyond belief if the groomer came every 2 weeks.
littlebuddy is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,462
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
Yes, I think you nailed it, it makes him feel better. I warm up the wipe or use a soft warm cloth. You bath your dog every 10 days? I have heard that it's not good to wash our havs. frequently. I am lucky that my dog stays clean other than the paws and face washes but I think it would stress him out beyond belief if the groomer came every 2 weeks.
Kodi has had a bath weekly since he was a tiny pup. There is nothing wrong with bathing frequently as long as you use mild shampoo and a good conditioner. We don't wait weeks to bathe ourselves!

If you have a hunting breed that has protective, waterproofing oils in their coat, you need to be careful not to strip those, as they keep the dog warm and dry outdoors in bad weather. That's not an issue with our dogs… they don't have any waterproofing no matter what you do! And honestly, even among my friends who show their hunting breeds as well as do field work with them, they STILL get bathed about weekly. They are just very careful to use products that don't strip the oils. The dogs look great, and don't smell bad, as many dogs of hunting breeds do!

If you are happy with Django's state of cleanliness, that's fine, but it wouldn't do his coat or skin any harm at all to bathe him more frequently. Dogs who are bathed frequently get used to it, and it's just not a big deal in their lives.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 204
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kodi has had a bath weekly since he was a tiny pup. There is nothing wrong with bathing frequently as long as you use mild shampoo and a good conditioner. We don't wait weeks to bathe ourselves!

If you have a hunting breed that has protective, waterproofing oils in their coat, you need to be careful not to strip those, as they keep the dog warm and dry outdoors in bad weather. That's not an issue with our dogs… they don't have any waterproofing no matter what you do! And honestly, even among my friends who show their hunting breeds as well as do field work with them, they STILL get bathed about weekly. They are just very careful to use products that don't strip the oils. The dogs look great, and don't smell bad, as many dogs of hunting breeds do!

If you are happy with Django's state of cleanliness, that's fine, but it wouldn't do his coat or skin any harm at all to bathe him more frequently. Dogs who are bathed frequently get used to it, and it's just not a big deal in their lives.
Karen what conditioner do you like? I bath Darla weekly too Im using earth baby now but need a conditioner I do have a spray in detangler Ice on Ice I think the name is? Any help on a conditioner would be great!!

Nic
Nicm is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Evelyn
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 4,652
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I agree with Karen. Whimsy has had a bath every 10 days or so for her entire life. I use a good Shampoo and conditioner and she really has a beautiful coat and no skin problems what so ever. She is used to getting a bath and being groomed and is very co-operative with everything and enjoys it.( Well ,she just tolerates the nail cutting, but doesn't enjoy it lol)

whimsy is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Django never handles grooming well, my groomer comes to the house and is in and out in about 1 1/2 hour. She comes ever 4 weeks and in the interim Django gets a face paws and fanny bath. He's out of commission for the rest of the day after grooming, I think if he didn't get so stressed out I would probably do it more often but it's difficult putting him through it as often as I do. Another benefit of Addisons!
littlebuddy is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
MarinaGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,216
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 49 Times in 49 Posts
An important factor in keeping the hiney clean is diet. If your Hav is on food that agrees with them then their poos will be firm, not soft, and won't get stuck in their fur. I personally don't use flushable wipes because of the chemicals in them and because they often cause irritation in humans; therefore, I don't think they're right for dogs either. For spot cleaning, a washcloth and gentle soap or shampoo works well.

Jeanne and Emmie

MarinaGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome