How does your havanese act when meeting new people? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
How does your havanese act when meeting new people?

Hey Everyone!
It's been a while since I've posted but I've been lurking once in a while when I have questions. :-)
Anyways, Millie is one year old now, and I'm just wondering what is normal behaviour and what I should work on.
When we go on walks Millie will notice people but usually just walk along happily even when she sees people she doesn't know. If they get too close or I say hi to them, she will bark her head off and pull on the leash.
When people come to our house she always barks at them initially when they come to the door. People she knows it's an excited kind of bark but people she doesn't know it's a regular bark. With people she knows, she will greet them excitedly. When people she doesn't know try to pet her she will scurry away and then approach them slowly to sniff them. After a while she will let them pet her but she prefers that it isn't on top of the head and she doesn't like eye contact at first.
Is this stuff normal or have I messed up in socializing her? She is my first dog so I don't know what is normal. Sometimes I think I'm being too hard on her and not letting her be a dog.
Thanks in advance!!!
Sarahdee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,587
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
Hey Everyone!
It's been a while since I've posted but I've been lurking once in a while when I have questions. :-)
Anyways, Millie is one year old now, and I'm just wondering what is normal behaviour and what I should work on.
When we go on walks Millie will notice people but usually just walk along happily even when she sees people she doesn't know. If they get too close or I say hi to them, she will bark her head off and pull on the leash.
When people come to our house she always barks at them initially when they come to the door. People she knows it's an excited kind of bark but people she doesn't know it's a regular bark. With people she knows, she will greet them excitedly. When people she doesn't know try to pet her she will scurry away and then approach them slowly to sniff them. After a while she will let them pet her but she prefers that it isn't on top of the head and she doesn't like eye contact at first.
Is this stuff normal or have I messed up in socializing her? She is my first dog so I don't know what is normal. Sometimes I think I'm being too hard on her and not letting her be a dog.
Thanks in advance!!!
I think it's pretty typical behaviour for her age. Don't let people force themselves on her, but at the same time, make sure you arrange as many positive experiences for her as you can with people who are willing to let her take the time she needs to warm up.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I think it's pretty typical behaviour for her age. Don't let people force themselves on her, but at the same time, make sure you arrange as many positive experiences for her as you can with people who are willing to let her take the time she needs to warm up.
Thanks so much! That makes me feel so much better.
I have been giving people treats to give her for just approaching them. I do tell them not to pet her on top of her head and to avoid eye contact at first. I also tell them that she loves to play fetch. She loves it so much that she will return the toy to them and almost forget that she's scared.
She's such a good and sweet dog. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy her. When she is shy I get disappointed that they don't see her true colours.
Sarahdee is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Carefulove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
That seems pretty normal, as long as she is not charging people or trying to bite them, is all normal and manageable. My Bumi is 5 and will bark at people he does not know and won't allow them to touch him at first, until he is familiar with them. People he knows, he is friendly as soon as he sees them.

I always insist on the dogs sitting and waiting by the side of the door (inside) while I open the door and greet my guests, then I allow them to come and greet the guests themselves, this allows them time to see who just arrived.

We now have a 6 month old puppy who doesn't really care who he meets. He greets everyone the same way and does 360 degrees flips for everyone (literally, he flips over when he tries to jump while greeting you).

Zury

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.

Peluito's Phoenix King (Nix)
Carefulove is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,587
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
Thanks so much! That makes me feel so much better.
I have been giving people treats to give her for just approaching them. I do tell them not to pet her on top of her head and to avoid eye contact at first. I also tell them that she loves to play fetch. She loves it so much that she will return the toy to them and almost forget that she's scared.
She's such a good and sweet dog. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy her. When she is shy I get disappointed that they don't see her true colours.
It sounds like you are doing just the right things. Kodi went through a phase of "stranger anxiety" at about a year, too. I remember thinking that he would never enjoy working as a therapy dog. (something that I'd thought might be fun once he was done with his competitive career) Now that he is fully mature, I can see that it was just a phase. He loves most everyone now, and is particularly good at talking elderly "non-dog" people into loving him!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefulove View Post
That seems pretty normal, as long as she is not charging people or trying to bite them, is all normal and manageable. My Bumi is 5 and will bark at people he does not know and won't allow them to touch him at first, until he is familiar with them. People he knows, he is friendly as soon as he sees them.

I always insist on the dogs sitting and waiting by the side of the door (inside) while I open the door and greet my guests, then I allow them to come and greet the guests themselves, this allows them time to see who just arrived.

We now have a 6 month old puppy who doesn't really care who he meets. He greets everyone the same way and does 360 degrees flips for everyone (literally, he flips over when he tries to jump while greeting you).
Thanks for the advice!
When you ask your dogs to sit by the door, do they wait without barking?
Millie knows how to sit and stay very well. I can tease her with all sorts of things while she is staying and she just waits patiently for me to say "okay" and then she knows she can be a dog. When I ask her to sit and stay at the door, it is just too much of a distraction and she won't stay.
Sarahdee is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
It sounds like you are doing just the right things. Kodi went through a phase of "stranger anxiety" at about a year, too. I remember thinking that he would never enjoy working as a therapy dog. (something that I'd thought might be fun once he was done with his competitive career) Now that he is fully mature, I can see that it was just a phase. He loves most everyone now, and is particularly good at talking elderly "non-dog" people into loving him!
Kodi seems so sweet!
Do you remember how long it took for him to get over the stranger anxiety? Could you give me some tips on how you helped him get over it?
Sarahdee is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,587
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
Thanks for the advice!
When you ask your dogs to sit by the door, do they wait without barking?
Millie knows how to sit and stay very well. I can tease her with all sorts of things while she is staying and she just waits patiently for me to say "okay" and then she knows she can be a dog. When I ask her to sit and stay at the door, it is just too much of a distraction and she won't stay.
Then she's just not ready for that. She's still quite young, and every dog progresses at a different rate. Instead, put a baby gate or ex-pen near the door and keep her away from the door when people come in. Then let her out only after she settles.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,587
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
Kodi seems so sweet!
Do you remember how long it took for him to get over the stranger anxiety? Could you give me some tips on how you helped him get over it?
I did pretty much by doing what I told you in my first post! I didn't let people overwhelm him, and I kept setting up as many positive experiences as I could with people who would give him his space until he warmed up. I can't remember how long it took… it was very gradual.

Oh, and I have different criteria for door behavior. (It really doesn't matter what your expectations are, as long as you are consistent, and set the dog up for success) We live at the end of a long, dark driveway. I WANT a dog who will bark to alert me that someone is at the door. But I also expect him to stop when I tell him that the person is "OK". So that's what we've trained him to do.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Carefulove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
Thanks for the advice!
When you ask your dogs to sit by the door, do they wait without barking?
Millie knows how to sit and stay very well. I can tease her with all sorts of things while she is staying and she just waits patiently for me to say "okay" and then she knows she can be a dog. When I ask her to sit and stay at the door, it is just too much of a distraction and she won't stay.
For the most part they do, especially my oldest. He is very obedient. The puppy is only 6 months, so I am still training him. I am usually standing between him and the door and my full attention I on the dog so I am able to correct their behavior. Most of my visitors know this and will wait patiently for me to open the door.

Zury

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.

Peluito's Phoenix King (Nix)
Carefulove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome