Join Date: Nov 2006
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 48 Times in 35 Posts
Hi Lau, welcome the forum! I also am very allergic to all animals, in fact I have never met a cat, any cat I could tolerate-- so I think you may be less allergic than me.
I am also allergic to all dogs, even poodles-- but I was able to take my SIL's Hav into my house for 2 weeks and then a month later another week and I was fine. So we started our search for our own... 3 years later we have two Havs and I am fine most of the time.
Here are the things I found that flared my allergies
1) when they were puppies...not the puppy itself, but potty training. The protein in urine is a strong allergen... and they step in it and leaves allergens on them... once they were potty trained I was much better. during puppydom I used allergy wipes on them once or twice a week and that helped.
2) If you have hay fever, your little fluff ball will bring in pollen in the spring and leaf mold in the fall, which could aggravate your allergies. again, during these times wiping down your Hav more often and/or keeping them in a puppy cut helps.
3) if you have another family member who can brush them that is the best, I find I get a little sniffly when I am brushing them.
4) I find I have to clean and vacuum my house a bit more and more thoroughly than I used to.
But that is pretty much it. I used to take claritin only in allergy season but now I take it year round. I also take rhinocort but I always did.
let us know if you decide to get a Hav.
Missy, Jasper & Cash