Water Bottle - a few questions - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water Bottle - a few questions

I want to teach Duncan to drink out of water bottle since he gets his mouth so wet when he drinks from a bowl, and I can see the hair starting to stain there. I have a few questions:

1- I bought a hamster bottle from Petsmart before I realized that they sell dog ones - is it really the same thing?

2- How high to mount it? I put it on his pen and he started biting it and got the whole metal stem in his mouth and that made me nervous. Should it be tall enough that he can only reach the the tip if he looks up?

3- How on earth did you get your dog to figure it out? Would PB on the tip work? Any other tips?

I hope all of this makes sense. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find the answers. Thanks!!!
Duncan'sMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Tori's mom
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 4,988
Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 6 Posts
Jen~ You need to get one that's made for dogs, the hamster one is way too small. It should be mounted so that the tip of the drinking tube is at the same height as his shoulders (measure from the floor to the top of the shoulder) You can try PB or cream cheese on the tip.

Also, thought I'd share pix w/you the stands my DH makes and sells He just made a beautiful black lacquer one that I haven't gotten a shot of yet. He takes custom orders. If you're interested, PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Double.jpg (37.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg single:oak:glass:heart.jpg (103.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Water only.jpg (13.6 KB, 268 views)

~Leslie

At our house, we spell happiness H-A-V-A-N-E-S-E
Leslie is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Sharlene
 
Evye's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Leslie, those water bottle stands are wonderful with the raised bowls !!! Very clever.

Sharlene, Evye & Bentley's Mom (Taylor too)
Evye's Mom is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Tori's mom
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 4,988
Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evye's Mom View Post
Leslie, those water bottle stands are wonderful with the raised bowls !!! Very clever.
Sharlene, Thanks. They were borne out of necessity. Tori is a "bowl tipper" so, we needed something that she couldn't tip or drag around the room. I'm quite fortunate to have a DH who is very talented in woodworking

~Leslie

At our house, we spell happiness H-A-V-A-N-E-S-E
Leslie is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Sheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 6,255
Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 53 Times in 50 Posts
Leslie's husband's look like fine furniture. I also love that there is a bowl beneath the water spout...there will inevitably be drips, I'd imagine, and to not have to worry about that mess would be wonderful. He makes such beautiful water bottle pieces! I don't have one of them, but sure do admire them!

Sheri, Tucker's Mom
Sheri is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
 
Lina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,774
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 24 Posts
I don't have one of Leslie's husband's bottle stands, but I do have one that another forum member's husband makes and I love them. And yes, you have to get the larger bottles that are made for large birds - literally, that's what they're made for. The Lixit brands are best - get the quart sized ones either in glass or plastic - make sure you get a bottle that works with whatever stand you're wanting to buy. With Susan's husband's stands (below) the bottle is included in the price as he uses part of the bottle parts to make the stand. Just FYI.

Here's a picture of one of the ones I have (I also have a plastic one) - with Kubrick and Hitchcock fighting over it!



The reason I also really like this stand is because it's adjustable in height - you can move it up as your puppy grows! Here's the thread about the stands if you want to see it:

http://havaneseforum.com/showthread....n+water+bottle

In either case, if you add a dollop of either cream cheese or peanut butter to the bottom, you should get him to start drinking it right away. I was able to do it without it, actually, just by touching it with my finger and showing Kubrick the water coming out of it. He started licking it quite happily after that.


Visit my blog
-----
Check out my photos
-----
Photography (pets, people, weddings) - TripleC Photography
Lina is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh those are so nice looking ~ I wish I (or DH) was a bit more handy!

I bought this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752723

This may be a silly question, but when you say I need a bigger one for a dog, is the bottle bigger or the tip he gets the water out of?

And now I just read the reviews online and no one seemed to think it worked very well anyway. Thankfully it wasn't that expensive, since I am not sure if they will take it back now since it's opened. And this is why I usually buy things online where I can research it to death, and I just bought this on a whim in the store.

And he loves PB, so I'll try that when I get a new one.
Duncan'sMom is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Total Havanese Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,639
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 16 Posts
Jen if you are using a wire crate for Duncan, you can also mount a lixit bottle to the crate and skip getting a holder, although I love the ones made by Leslie's and Susan's husbands...this is what I have done for Posh. I just leave her kennel door open all day and she goes and gets a drink when she needs to. I have also purchased the lixit glass bottle intended for large parrots and dogs. It is really nice compared to the plastic bottle I first bought from Petco. I ordered it online, and it was pretty reasonable considering how "hefty" and great it is. I just used the hardware/mounting system it came with to put on her crate. It's probably a little lower than it should be, but she has no problem getting hydrated at the height it's at. She just lies down to get a drink.

It's funny, but I don't think you'll even need to put peanut butter on the "straw" for Duncan to understand/get drinking from a water bottle vs. a bowl. Posh came to us at six months old and she had drank from a "fountain" at her breeder's house. I installed her water bottle on her crate, and my husband started giving me grief immediately with a "how are you going to train her to drink out of that?" I don't think he the whole sentence out of his mouth before she was licking the water out of the bottle.
Posh's Mom is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Tori's mom
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 4,988
Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina View Post
I don't have one of Leslie's husband's bottle stands, but I do have one that another forum member's husband makes and I love them. And yes, you have to get the larger bottles that are made for large birds - literally, that's what they're made for. The Lixit brands are best - get the quart sized ones either in glass or plastic - make sure you get a bottle that works with whatever stand you're wanting to buy. With Susan's husband's stands (below) the bottle is included in the price as he uses part of the bottle parts to make the stand. Just FYI.

Here's a picture of one of the ones I have (I also have a plastic one) - with Kubrick and Hitchcock fighting over it!



The reason I also really like this stand is because it's adjustable in height - you can move it up as your puppy grows! Here's the thread about the stands if you want to see it:

http://havaneseforum.com/showthread....n+water+bottle

In either case, if you add a dollop of either cream cheese or peanut butter to the bottom, you should get him to start drinking it right away. I was able to do it without it, actually, just by touching it with my finger and showing Kubrick the water coming out of it. He started licking it quite happily after that.
Lina~ Steve's are quite nice but, didn't fit with my decor. I do plan to get one of his, though, to use outside since they won't rust and Tori still has issues w/bowl tipping.

My DH is able make his adjustable, as well. In fact, the one he just did in black lacquer is adjustable. He also makes his w/glass or plastic bottles, whichever is preferred.

I think they both are wonderful, just made for different tastes/decor/uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan'sMom View Post
Oh those are so nice looking ~ I wish I (or DH) was a bit more handy!

I bought this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752723

This may be a silly question, but when you say I need a bigger one for a dog, is the bottle bigger or the tip he gets the water out of?

And now I just read the reviews online and no one seemed to think it worked very well anyway. Thankfully it wasn't that expensive, since I am not sure if they will take it back now since it's opened. And this is why I usually buy things online where I can research it to death, and I just bought this on a whim in the store.

And he loves PB, so I'll try that when I get a new one.
You want to get the larger waterer (1 qt. w/a 5/8 in. tube) Lina mentioned. Here's a link to the glass one. Here's a link to the plastic one.

~Leslie

At our house, we spell happiness H-A-V-A-N-E-S-E
Leslie is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want to get the larger waterer (1 qt. w/a 5/8 in. tube) Lina mentioned. Here's a link to the glass one. Here's a link to the plastic one.[/QUOTE]



Thanks for the links!
Duncan'sMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome