Fashion vs Function - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Fashion vs Function

Shows what a lot of us value. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0074770

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Jen, Timmy and Mae
 
jabojenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 1,672
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 16 Posts
Awe Dave I thought this post would have been about wardrobe and all the silly things we make our dogs wear.

In all seriousness though this article sadly brings to light the true reasons people select a dog breed and most times it's not done with any type of investigating. A lot of people are WAY too impulsive when getting a dog and have their hearts set on a dog for looks or personality of a fictional subject seen in a movie, book or tv show, or a dog they see walking down the street that meets their fancy. This isn't always the reason to select a certain breed but I don't believe most truly look thoroughly into the real temperament of a breed and how this will play out with certain lifestyles. In terms of breeds with inherited health issues most people justify choosing that breed with the understanding that those conditions won't happen with my dog.

Unfortunately our pups, the best breed in the world in my opinion, have the complete package looks and personality if they are bred properly. I'm afraid, as most will agree, with the Havanese becoming so popular many will be bred with ill behaved parents or those with inherited health issue which will cause an influx of Havs with temperament and health issues which is such a disservice to this breed. I cringe everytime I hear about how popular they have become.

jabojenny is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
emichel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 701
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabojenny View Post

I cringe everytime I hear about how popular they have become.
I'm with you on that one, Jen. I feel like I have to start approaching it like I have started to with out of towners about Seattle. It is getting so freaking crowded here it's unbelievable, so when visitors start expressing interest in moving here I tell them they wouldn't like it because it rains all the time, the sun never shines and it's dark and dreary all winter. It's harder to stretch the truth about the Havanese breed, especially when Benjamin is sitting right there being all cute and delightful. Instead I tell everyone that they are extremely expensive (which is not a lie), are very clingy and can't be left alone (only a slight exaggeration), and if they are still looking all googly eyed at Benjamin, try to encourage rescue. But, like trying to discourage people from moving here and adding to the congestion, I figure I got mine so I guess other people have a right to get one, too. All we can do is provide information and hope for the best, I suppose.


Eileen and Benjamin
emichel is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,527
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 297 Times in 295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabojenny View Post
In terms of breeds with inherited health issues most people justify choosing that breed with the understanding that those conditions won't happen with my dog.
Or in the case of relatives of mine… They decided they wanted a Cavalier. I explained to them all the health problems in the breed, that they would be lucky if the dog made it to 10 years old, and suggested they look into another breed. They looked at me and said, "That's long enough! We're getting it for the kids anyway!"

Now, I LOVE the CKC temperament, and though I chose otherwise, I could certainly understand someone deciding to take the bad with the good IN SPITE of knowing they all have heart problems. But to CHOOSE a breed BECAUSE it has a short life span?!?! Why get the dog at all?!?!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,527
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 297 Times in 295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emichel View Post
I'm with you on that one, Jen. I feel like I have to start approaching it like I have started to with out of towners about Seattle. It is getting so freaking crowded here it's unbelievable, so when visitors start expressing interest in moving here I tell them they wouldn't like it because it rains all the time, the sun never shines and it's dark and dreary all winter. It's harder to stretch the truth about the Havanese breed, especially when Benjamin is sitting right there being all cute and delightful. Instead I tell everyone that they are extremely expensive (which is not a lie), are very clingy and can't be left alone (only a slight exaggeration), and if they are still looking all googly eyed at Benjamin, try to encourage rescue. But, like trying to discourage people from moving here and adding to the congestion, I figure I got mine so I guess other people have a right to get one, too. All we can do is provide information and hope for the best, I suppose.
I honestly don't try to discourage people from getting a Havanese… They are a great breed, and more GOOD QUALITY ones won't ruin the breed. So I use those times as educational moments. I tell people that they ARE a great breed IF you but them from a reputable breeder. I explain what that is, and then I tell them flat out that there are bad tempered, unhealthy Havanese out there because people buy them on a whim from pet stores and puppy mills. I tell them that the ONLY way of being assured of getting a good quality one is from a great breeder. If they want to take a chance with a less expensive animal, go the rescue route.

And… I tell them about the coat. For people who wont be committed to the breed, the coat is the biggest turn-off. To know that they EITHER have to groom the dog, thoroughly and daily, OR get it clipped, frequently and at high cost, is usually enough to deter the casual "cute puppy" type buyers.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome