Havanese Forum banner

Tillie and Benjamin!!

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Pixiesmom 
#1 ·
So, Eileen and Benjamin stopped by today to visit!!

Benjamin is SO sweet, so happy, such a happy go lucky guy!
Tillie. wellllll... she was a little shocked to have another dog at her house. in her house. in her toy box. lol. sigh. I was very bummed that she didn't want to play with him at all. :(
They were here for about an hour and she slowly was warming up and though she wasn't crazy about him playing with all her toys, she wasn't aggressive of anything either. I guess that's good. right? They were able to lay near each other okay. And she eventually stopped barking. sigh.

So, my little girl sort of embarassed us today. lol :mullet:
oh well. Benjamin is awesome. Tillie is miss prissy pants. lol
I had visions of RLH and tug o war ... maybe with more time. I sure wish we had friends who had dogs nearby. sigh.

Anywho, here are a few pictures!
It was great to meet Eileen and Benjamin!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
good stuff, hey Eileen we're only three thousand miles away.

#3 ·
It's nice to meet forum members and their dogs. We can't always predict, however, what our furry friends will do. When Jody and Atticus came to visit, Atticus was all set to play with Tyler, but my old man wanted nothing to do with it. It was also the first time another dog other than Bailey was in "his" house. He wasn't aggressive or barking, just stunned I think. Jody understood and it was a nice visit in spite of Tyler and his disinterest.

#4 ·
so true Mary, and congrats on your article in Hav Breed Magazine on Tyler's 16 th birthday.

#9 ·
Seattle people are all nice it seems.

#10 ·
oh it's just like kids you never know. I had a blast meeting Mary ,Bud and Tyler and didn't expect much play as their ages are so different. Atticus and Baxter who are the same age took several meetings before they really warmed up to each other. It takes awhile to form a friendship! It's actually great that Tillie let him in and let him have a go at her toys, not all dogs would even be that gracious!

#11 ·
Finally got settled in the motel on the way home, fed and watered and walked the boy, fed myself, and fired up the 'puter, so I can respond. Tammy, first, thank you very much for your hospitality. I think that both of the dogs did great! From my point of view, Tillie was dealing with a strange dog in her territory, and I thought that Benjamin might have been a bit more gentlemanly about it. On the other hand, he was antsy from hours of driving, then instead of a boring freeway rest area he was presented with Miss Tillie, a whole box of new (to him) toys imbued with Tillie's enticing aroma, and 2 kids to repeatedly throw them down the hallway for him. He's a young little boy, and naturally was excited by it all! :D Meanwhile, Tillie was dealing with the kids throwing the toys for Benjamin, and him getting his boy cooties slobber all over them. It seemed to me that Tillie was managing it all as well as she could, and was getting much calmer and even curious and interested in him, when we had to leave. :( I am positive that if they had a little more time together they would have become friendly.

Anyway... the pics are great, the sandwich and drink and blueberry muffins were much appreciated, and I thought that the experience of having the dogs get together was quite worthwhile. Driving back after leaving my brother's, I have been fantasizing about moving down to Grass Valley in a few years, so possibly we will be living much closer to you and they could have regular play dates. In the meantime, keep thinking about ways Tillie could have the opportunity to interact with other dogs, and just keep doing what you're doing. I think that you are an awesome doggie mom, and you are right, Tillie is quite a character, and a delightful dog. (My favorite part was when one of the kids threw a toy down the hallway and Tillie ran after it before Benjamin, but then instead of retrieving it she just stood in front of it, guarding it and growling. Too funny! And Benjamin's just like "whatever" and finds something else to play with.) They both sure do have strong personalities! I hope we can meet again before long, and thanks again for everything!

#12 ·
Tammy, you made my heart flutter when I read your post subject. I thought, REALLY? She bit the bullet and got another fur-kid already? I must say I was somewhat disappointed to not see some tiny puppy-baby posing with big-sister Tilly. Oh well, soon???

#14 · (Edited)
It is best to meet a friend on neutral territory. And, yes, it takes a long time to get use to get use to a new friend, some hit the friendship off right away and some take some time to warm up to the idea. When I first read your post, I thought you had a new puppy in the house!

#16 ·
It's great to see those pics, Jeanne. Here are a few from B's first day at playtime a couple of weeks earlier than that, on 6/21. He was only 9 weeks old! Wow, those first weeks were so exciting!

Hmm, I wanted to post the pics, then make these comments, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do that. I have been thinking a lot about Benjamin and Tillie's visit, and first I need to say to Tammy -- please don't feel bad about Tillie in any way!! If anything I am the one who should be embarrassed, for letting my dog just barge in and take over, but I guess I feel that they were both fine, they were just being their own individual doggie selves! It would be great if you could get a puppy to keep Tillie company, but they do cost and I have to wonder, now that I've met her, why you think she needs company. She does not seem at all deprived to me, and is obviously very loved and happy. I think it was awesome that she was growling to guard her toys, it shows good spirit and healthy self respect, in my opinion. And FWIW, even Mr. Sociability Benjamin would growl if another dog came into his house and tried to play with his favorite toys, I'm quite certain!

Anyway... if we can come again we'll have to think ahead about how to approach it. I might have held B in my lap for a while so that T could get used to the idea, but oh well. Mostly I think that as long as no one is getting hurt the dogs should figure it out for themselves, and they did! :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.