Havanese Forum banner

Who's the boss?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jabojenny 
#1 ·
My father is not - that is obvious.

My parents look after Hilda twice a week while I am working. In the morning, I bring her there between 6 and 7 o'clock. I open the door and Hilda then runs straight through the hallway into the living room and jumps on the couch where she then observes the stairs up wagging her tail. My father then comes down the stairs and the whole dog in principle wags (she loves my father totally). Hilda is then massaged and petted by my daddy, before he goes and fetches a "Stängchen" (Hilda's most favorite treat which my parents buy in a shop called "Lidl", a cattle bar), which Hilda then eats on the couch, after that my daddy says: Come upstairs to Helga (my mom). Hilda -feeling herself in a flash- jumps off the couch, races up the stairs and jumps on the bed, as a welcome she licks mom (and wakes her with that), slips up and down the space between two double beds and finally falls asleep lying on the back. The ritual is that way . . .

But what happens, if once no "Stängchen" is there . . . . like that morning couple of days ago?

Hilda stood expectantly on the couch, my daddy came and said immediately (without the intermediate steps described above), "Come upstairs to Helga". Hilda looks at my daddy wagging with her tail expectantly, however, not moving. Daddy: "Come, Hilda, come to Helga". Hilda still stayed wagging on the couch . Daddy: "We have no more "Stängchen", come up". Hilda did not bother . . . I stood there and watched this show grinning. My father asked me: Do you think she will take another treat ??? " I: I do not think so, but she should go with you anyway - just because you tell her. . . " My father muttered something in his boots and fetched another treat. He offered it to Hilda - who was still standing and wagging on the couch. Hilda sniffed, and nudged the hand of my father so that the treat dropped on the floor. I really had to contain myself not to laugh loudly. I: I think, this doesn't work. Carry her up, without treat, I have to be off now.

I left - my Mom told me the end of the story later on. My father carried Hilda upstairs into my parents' bedroom - without treat - and closed the bedroom door. Hilda licked my mom a welcome , slipped up and down the space between two double beds and then ran to door and started barking. After that she ran onto the bed side of my father and barked there, this went well a while to and fro so. My daddy THEN did speak a word. Result: Hilda did not bark any longer, but wailed as a wolf . . . My Mom to my daddy: "What is the matter with Hilda?". My daddy: "Yesterday, I forgot to buy the "Stängchen" and she absolutely wants to have one". My mother: "Then it is your own fault and you must suffer the consequences: get dressed and go to the shop and buy the treats". And what did my Daddy do? ...At 6:30 am he dressed and went to Lidl and fetched the treats.

In the meantime Hilda ran into the living room and waited on the couch expactantly. When my daddy came back, Hilda ate her "Stängchen", jumped off the couch, raced up the stairs and jumped on the bed, as a welcome she lickedmy mom, slipped up and down the space between two double beds and finally fell asleep lying on the back. My mom and Hilda slept until 10. 30. My daddy was wide-awake, though.

Now, what do you think? Who is the boss?

See less See more
#7 ·
My obedience trainer has often reminded us that a "reward" given all the time becomes not a reward, but an expectation. Then if you take it away, it's actually looked upon by the dog as a punishment. So Hilda was acting exactly has you might expect under the circumstances. For her perspective, she was being punished (however mildly! :)) and didn't think she deserved it!

Not to say we don't all do the same sorts of things... Kodi gets a little cookie when he goes into his crate at bed time. It's not always the same (thank heavens!!! ;)) but he always gets SOMETHING. I am sure he would complain if we put him to bed without his "snack"! ;)

#9 ·
Your Dad and Mom sound like they have the same relationship and dispositions that mine did for over 60 years. God rest their souls!

What a great story, Nicole. It was very heartwarming and brought back memories for me; not that I had the same experience but can just see the scene playing out in my mind.

#10 ·
thank you all - I love to share such stories, because I think we all need some distractions and stories that touch our heart once in a while. And when I can give you something like that, I like to do it.

Yes, my parents are to me the sweetest persons on earth. They help where they can, they show their love, and they just absolutely adore Hilda.
You know the greatest gift they give me, is to let me know, that no matter what happens they will be there and support me and I always can come back home.

My mom suffers from Alzheimer's disease and so every day that she still recognizes me is the greatest gift god can give me. And it is so wonderful to see that whenever Hilda is there she livens up. And it is so touching to experience that Hilda senses when my mom again feels afraid because of her illness - Hilda then goes to her, lies down besides her and puts her head on her knee and looks with so much love to her and licks my mom's hand reassuringly. My mom then always quiets down and pets Hilda.

#13 ·
What a wonderful story. I think there's a whole lot of love in Hilda's world

#14 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your mom Nicole, that must be so hard, but I'm sure Hilda brings a lot of joy. Timmy LOVES my father in law, they have a very special relationship too, regardless of the fact that he brings bacon over to feed to him. :frusty: I often think one day I'll drop off Timmy for him to watch but I can only imagine what he'll expect when he comes home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.