Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums - View Single Post - Pricing question
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Lina
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 24 Posts
Alicia, I have to say that if you can't afford a Havanese then the best thing to do will be to get a rescue. I would think that's your best choice. In addition, it's expensive just to have a dog. In the 3-4 months that I have had Kubrick, I have spent at the very least $2500 on him on top of what I spent to get him. Vet bills, beds, pee pads, leashes, toys, food, shampoo, grooming supplies (and that's because I do his grooming on my own - if you want someone else to do it it's a lot more expensive). It gets EXPENSIVE! I'm not trying to be mean, but if you can't afford a high maintenance dog, then you should look into another breed. Perhaps others here have a different opinion, but that's just what I think.

Also, it really is very expensive to keep a litter of puppies. You are not only caring for the puppies themselves, but also for the mother of the puppies. Yes there are breeders out there that use the large amount of that money for themselves but if you get a good ethical breeder, a lot of that money goes into socializing and properly caring for the pups. The time that it takes is also valuable... anyone who has gotten a puppy can tell you the amount of time and patience that it takes to raise them. I can't even imagine having a whole litter in your hands and dealing with potty training and all of that at such a young age.

I'm sure others here have better reasons, but that's how I see it.

Visit my blog
-----
Check out my photos
-----
Photography (pets, people, weddings) - TripleC Photography

Last edited by Lina; 11-19-2007 at 03:53 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome