Pooping in the snow - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,388
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
Karen suggested using Equine Pine Pellets in the trays. I do this. It eliminates odors and I don't have to change them out but a couple of times a week.

Sorry for such a long message ... but maybe it will help someone have the confidence to indoor housebreak their puppy.

I think, this only works for small dogs and cats. I would not want to indoor housebreak a large dog.
Ha! Yeah... I would NOT want a Labrador peeing in the house... period! LOL! (although, interestingly, I do know a lot of people who breed larger breed dogs and start them with litter boxes in the whelping pen. It does help them get the idea of "here, but not there", even if the long-term plan is to have them potty outside all the time.

I have to say, with three adult dogs, I don't clean pee out of my littler boxes more than once a week, and I NEVER "change them out" completely. There might be one or two pee spots in the downstairs litter boxes in that time, and they are easy to scoop out. And poop, on the occasions that it appears, (pouring rainy days, mostly) is picked up and put in the toilet as soon as I see it. They NEVER smell. The upstairs litter box gets MUCH less use. I might see one of them has used it every other month or so.

One thing I should mention to you is that I am really glad that things have gone so well with Patty. But you may find that she back-slides a bit around the one-year mark. I was warned about this by others, and it did happen with each of mine. This has NOTHING directly to do with indoor potty training... I've heard of it happening with strictly outdoor trained puppies too. I immediately "tightened up security" for a couple of weeks and things got right back on track! Just thought I should warn you!
NewWings likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Henry&Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern New England
Posts: 410
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 21 Posts
Last winter, Henry’s first, he was thrown a bit by the snow. He would try to search for any remaining bits of grass. I had an unpaved but plowed drive which at least provided a place where he wasn’t in the snow but walking and pooping on a packed snow surface. And he did adapt to the snow. Then spring came and he was searching out the last bits of snow to poop on. What’s this green stuff?!?

Henry&Kate is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
I have to admit to being one of the 'never indoor' people - having always had big dogs before AND disliking pee pads immensely (and still don't like them much). I didn't know that there were other indoor options - and now I do like the idea of a liter box rather than the pads. I do wish that Perry had come to me indoor trained though, even though I suspect that he was using cloth pads at some point (if his desire to use the area rug by the door and the doormat are any indication) - I can't get him to use a pad when we're traveling, for example, and having to 'hold it' for 30 hours can't be good! (Plus I have to be so careful at monitoring his water intake to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated but ensure he's not drinking so much that he needs to pee).

If pup #2 (when we finally agree to get one) comes along, if they were indoor trained I will definitely try to keep it up.

For those of you who use a liter box though (which I would prefer) - do they also use a disposable pad when you travel or are the two things not seen the same way? I don't think it would be practical to try to carry a liter box with me on the plane (though perhaps carrying a little of the pine filling and sprinkling it on the pad would do the same?) I know this is completely theoretical right now - #2 is at least a year away - but I'm curious.
Melissa Brill is offline  
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,388
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
I have to admit to being one of the 'never indoor' people - having always had big dogs before AND disliking pee pads immensely (and still don't like them much). I didn't know that there were other indoor options - and now I do like the idea of a liter box rather than the pads. I do wish that Perry had come to me indoor trained though, even though I suspect that he was using cloth pads at some point (if his desire to use the area rug by the door and the doormat are any indication) - I can't get him to use a pad when we're traveling, for example, and having to 'hold it' for 30 hours can't be good! (Plus I have to be so careful at monitoring his water intake to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated but ensure he's not drinking so much that he needs to pee).

If pup #2 (when we finally agree to get one) comes along, if they were indoor trained I will definitely try to keep it up.

For those of you who use a litter box though (which I would prefer) - do they also use a disposable pad when you travel or are the two things not seen the same way? I don't think it would be practical to try to carry a litter box with me on the plane (though perhaps carrying a little of the pine filling and sprinkling it on the pad would do the same?) I know this is completely theoretical right now - #2 is at least a year away - but I'm curious.
I don't like pads because they stink... the first time they are peed on! They are also a game for many Havanese, who love ripping up paper. Washable pads are worse because SO many dogs can't distinguish between those and area rugs. (how can you blame them? )

When I have traveled by plane with litter-trained Havanese, I learned from Pam King to make a "portable litter box" by putting some pine pellets wrapped up in a BIG pee pad. When you open it up, there is the little pile of pellets in the middle, which gives them a target. When we will be staying someplace longer, we bring along a UgoDog tray, which is flat and packs easier. They use that just the way they use their big litter boxes at home.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Jackie from Concrete, WA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,090
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 75 Times in 73 Posts
We don't get much snow usually, but have had enough from time to time where our neighbor would plow out the driveway and my husband will shovel the sidewalk. Willow will pee in the snow that piles up on the deck. That's the only time she pees on the deck. I don't mind when she does this in the snow. Then she'll go and poop on the places that have been plowed. She is not one to play in the snow like some dogs. She does her business and then heads for the door.
krandall likes this.



Jackie & Willow
Jackie from Concrete, WA is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EvaE1izabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 808
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 24 Posts
We had all kinds of problems today but I think this time the snow was getting to DD. Just last week I put down a rug at the back door that I had stored away when we brought puppy home, and this morning he peed on it. It was her turn to take him out this morning, and I’m pretty sure he was waiting to go out while DD was grumbling around, looking for her boots and coat. Sigh.

The good news is the slowly growing patch of melted snow on the lawn is making potty time much faster! Of course, it’s supposed to snow again next week, but at least he’s getting used to it and we have a potty spot prepared that we’ll keep clear.
krandall likes this.
EvaE1izabeth is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,388
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie from Concrete, WA View Post
We don't get much snow usually, but have had enough from time to time where our neighbor would plow out the driveway and my husband will shovel the sidewalk. Willow will pee in the snow that piles up on the deck. That's the only time she pees on the deck. I don't mind when she does this in the snow. Then she'll go and poop on the places that have been plowed. She is not one to play in the snow like some dogs. She does her business and then heads for the door.
It drives Dave CRAZY when the dogs pee on the deck when there is snow on it. ...and all three of them will do it. They would never even THINK about peeing there if there was no snow, so it has to be that, in their little minds, "snow means go". I think it must be like people who use those sog grass potties for their dogs. Dogs are trained from really early that it's OK to potty on grass and snow.

I've also thought of that in terms of "city dogs" I know that city dogs are trained to go on pavement... they need to be. None of mine would even consider pavement as an option either!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I don't like pads because they stink... the first time they are peed on! They are also a game for many Havanese, who love ripping up paper. Washable pads are worse because SO many dogs can't distinguish between those and area rugs. (how can you blame them? )

When I have traveled by plane with litter-trained Havanese, I learned from Pam King to make a "portable litter box" by putting some pine pellets wrapped up in a BIG pee pad. When you open it up, there is the little pile of pellets in the middle, which gives them a target. When we will be staying someplace longer, we bring along a UgoDog tray, which is flat and packs easier. They use that just the way they use their big litter boxes at home.
Preaching to the choir here the biggest reason I didn't want to indoor train was because the idea of pads was - yuck! I hadn't realized at the time that pellets/ box was an option. And you all know from other posts that I strongly suspect that Perry used cloth pads at one time because the only peeing in the house (or on cloth at all) is on small area rugs - and no, I can't blame him for thinking they're the same thing!

I was thinking the pile of pellets in the middle of the disposable pad will be the way to go (if #2 is liter box trained). For Perry (and presumably for #2) - staying somewhere longer won't be a big issue - we can take a box with us, or leave one at my Mom's for him/ her to use... it's flying tht becomes the problem - and I can't assume that #2 will be able to hold it like Perry can.
krandall likes this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
pavement

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
It drives Dave CRAZY when the dogs pee on the deck when there is snow on it. ...and all three of them will do it. They would never even THINK about peeing there if there was no snow, so it has to be that, in their little minds, "snow means go". I think it must be like people who use those sog grass potties for their dogs. Dogs are trained from really early that it's OK to potty on grass and snow.

I've also thought of that in terms of "city dogs" I know that city dogs are trained to go on pavement... they need to be. None of mine would even consider pavement as an option either!
My last dog would never ever think of going on pavement which was a super pain when we had to move (for 3 months) to Sofia, Bulgaria and were stuck in an apartment. The nearest park was several blocks away and was fine for day time, but for our late evening/ any after dark potty trips I couldn't go that far... and there was very little grass or even dirt around the apartment building itself - so we had to find the smallest dirt patch that she was ok with.

Luckily (for me) Perry has absolutely no problem going on pavement, grass, snow, anywhere outside which is great because his environment changes a lot (it's been 70-85 here in Kampala right now with occasional torrential rain and in 2 weeks he'll be in the cold Pennsylvania/ snowy environment). So if we're staying at a hotel I don't have to walk long distances in the city to find grass, we barely have to walk half a block before he'll poop/ pee on the sidewalk . I do try to find grass as often as I can, but we're good no matter where we are. The only negative to this is that if the grass in our yard is too wet (or too high) he is perfectly happy to poop on the patio (if I can catch him before he squats then the command "yard" with a pointed finger will send him running to a non-paved area of the outside space). Pooping on pavement does not translate to any hard surface - the only time we have issues inside is on area rugs.
krandall likes this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,388
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
he is perfectly happy to poop on the patio (if I can catch him before he squats then the command "yard" with a pointed finger will send him running to a non-paved area of the outside space). Pooping on pavement does not translate to any hard surface - the only time we have issues inside is on area rugs.
Ha! I do the same thing. I stand in the doorway if there is light snow on the deck, and if one of them stops to sniff, I point and say, "Off the deck!" and they run down the steps.

The funniest one is Panda, who has this sassy head whip. She looks SO much like a sassy little girl stamping her foot and going "Oh, alright!", hair toss and all.
Melissa Brill likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome