Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might on our housetraining issues. Here's the short version:
- I figured out (largely from this forum, you guys are wonderful) that Yoshi was confused about where to pee.
- He'd pee on his crate bedding, no matter what it was--towel, dog bed, etc.
- He would also use pee pads pretty well...but then play and sleep on them! Even with poop and pee on them. Blech.
Since discovering his bedding confusion (again, I naively didn't realize he'd ever peed in his crate at night--longest stretch was 5 hours overnight), I've made these changes:
- inserted the divider to make his crate space smaller
- removed ALL bedding of any kind. Poor guy just sleeps on the tray
- attached an expen with a litter tray in it: pine pellets underneath (this is brand new to him), soiled pee pad on top
Today is 24 hrs since we started this new program. He's a superstar, doing great. No accidents! Consistently using the pee pad/pine pellet tray. And did not soil his crate, yay.
Here's my main question: what's the best way to transition from pee pads to pine pellet open litterbox? I've left the pee pads on top of the pellets, and he's using it. Adjusting to the different feel underfoot. My thought was to gradually move away the pee pads over a period of weeks.
I bought the Paw Traxx but he dislikes the grate and won't pee on it, even with a soiled pad underneath. He does, however, like to sleep on it. I think to break the pee pad/soft bedding association I need to do the open pellet litter box. Do you agree? Especially since he doesn't like the tray with grate option.
He is otherwise very happy and healthy, confirmed by our vet. Lovely temperament, though a little shy around people still.
Grateful for this forum!
PS I can't seem to attach any decent photos...here's one from a chilly MA day recently