Havanese Forum banner

Jumping with long hair

717 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  krandall 
#1 ·
Do any of your pups have more trouble jumping up onto couches/beds, etc. when their hair gets longer?

Lucy will be three in July and her has only been trimmed twice -- once when I thought it'd be easier to keep it mat free and I chopped it short and the last time to get it off the ground. As a puppy (shorter hair) she was able to jump onto our couches and beds without any trouble. Probably over the last year, she's had trouble. She bounces up and down, up and down, up and down and finally she gets up. I've bought her a step stool and she uses that all the time to get on the bed.

I would think it'd be the opposite, trouble when she was young and then no trouble after she grew into adulthood. So I am wondering if it could have anything to do with her hair? She's not walking on it but could it weigh enough to slow her accent?
:plane:

#3 ·
Snickers does this all the time. Snoopy does not. If you have only trimmed your dog twice in 3 years I would be worried about tight, on the skin matting, which may well make it uncomfortable for jumping. I'm not the most attentive of all groomers and have been guilty of allowing her to get more matted than I would have wanted and have found that Snicks will not be as quick to jump up on my lap as when she is mat and tangle free - just something to check is all.

I find that with Snickers it's more of a function of worrying about "clearing everything" than anything else. If I have my laptop in my lap she will wait till I put it down, but will want to make sure she won't hit it on the jump. On the other hand, if I'm sitting and have my lap "unencumbered" with either a dog or a cat she can take an amazing leap and land without difficulty where ever she wants to.

Don't know if that helps or not, but at least you know that your dog isn't the only one!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.