Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wilmington, NC
Submit Photo: 70
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Short of doing the GI Joe belly crawl nose to nose along side Oreo, there is no way to see every object he can find in the grass before it goes in his mouth. He is quite the sniffer, and his nose to the ground is much better than my eyes from 5 feet above are. We have been working on commands, but when I hear something rattling around in his mouth, my need for expediency takes over and I reach in there and fish it out. While acorns can be toxic to dogs, my vet told me not to worry if he did occasionally ingest one of the small Live Oak acorns, which are almost impossible to avoid in our area. I am at a loss as to how the chunk of glass even ended up in our lawn. My primary focus for avoidance of late has been the mushrooms that have been popping up that Oreo goes absolutely insane over. When there are things that are large enough for me to see, I can usually distract him with a treat and get him to "leave it", but mushrooms are like crack to him and he practically turns into Cujo when I try to get him away from them. I am now doing a daily mushroom sweep before we go outside. If is isn't something it's something else!