Need more suggestions... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need more suggestions...

Good morning-

Bocce is not potty trained. As I mentioned in a previous post, he does not tell us he needs to go out and he has a few accidents a week still (mostly when its raining, he hates it), mostly poop. Anyways, by next month I really would like to be able to let him out in his little enclosed fence area by my deck, while I stay in the screened in porch where I can see him. Is this possible? However, right now he will not go unless he is by me and most of the time he won't go in that area unless on a leash and right by me telling him to go. So I am looking for all kinds of detailed suggestions to slowly over the next 3 weeks train him to go outside while I wait in the porch. Help please.

Thank you,
CJ :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3893 copy.jpg (43.6 KB, 6 views)
Bocce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Tux's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 845
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I sent a reply this morning to your private email to me. Did you get it? It was very long and detailed. BTW, that photo is a winner!!! He is soooooooo very cute.

Tux's Mom is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it!! Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about your photo
Bocce is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,597
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Trying to put time limits on potty training puppies is an exercise in frustration. They will learn when they learn. Every one is different. Consistency, confinement and close supervision WILL get you there, but no one can predict exactly how long it will take. Kodi took the longest of my three, probably mostly because he was my first, and I didn't confine/supervise as closely as I did with the younger ones. Pixel seemed to practically train herself. It was so easy, I honestly don't remember how long it took. Panda took longer than Pixel because she had two UTI's that made her need to pee CONSTANTLY, and then made her want to avoid the litter box for a while. But they ALL "got it" eventually.

Panda was two yesterday, and although I don't have to go down onto the grass with her, I STILL have to make sure she actually goes off the deck in the morning. She does't have accidents in the house, but if I did't insist that she go off the deck, one of these things COULD happen:

She could pee on the deck. (which I don't want her to start doing)
She could be asking to go out 10 minutes later. (because I KNOW she has to go!)
Or I suppose it's POSSIBLE that she could have an accident in the house. (though that is unlikely since she also has a litter box available)

In any case, I don't want ANY of those things going on. I'm not the door man. They need to go out and potty before they get breakfast. End of story. She WILL eventually learn that rule, but as of now, she still needs to be prompted with an extra "Off the deck!" cue after the other two have headed down.
ShamaMama likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Bocce is a cutie patootie!

Marni is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ShamaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,969
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 61 Posts
Really cute photo!

We still take Shama down the steps from our deck to our back yard so she can potty. She will only run down the steps without us if she REALLY has to go. We didn't expect to have to always accompany her, and we're not sure we would have to if we could figure out how not to, but we don't mind, so we do it. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has the answer . . .
Bocce likes this.

ShamaMama is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,010
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Panda was two yesterday, and although I don't have to go down onto the grass with her, I STILL have to make sure she actually goes off the deck in the morning. She does't have accidents in the house, but if I did't insist that she go off the deck, one of these things COULD happen:

She could pee on the deck. (which I don't want her to start doing)
She could be asking to go out 10 minutes later. (because I KNOW she has to go!)
Or I suppose it's POSSIBLE that she could have an accident in the house. (though that is unlikely since she also has a litter box available)

In any case, I don't want ANY of those things going on. I'm not the door man. They need to go out and potty before they get breakfast. End of story. She WILL eventually learn that rule, but as of now, she still needs to be prompted with an extra "Off the deck!" cue after the other two have headed down.
Perry's command is 'yard!' (when he decides the yard is too wet and he wants to poop on the patio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamaMama View Post
We still take Shama down the steps from our deck to our back yard so she can potty. She will only run down the steps without us if she REALLY has to go. We didn't expect to have to always accompany her, and we're not sure we would have to if we could figure out how not to, but we don't mind, so we do it. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has the answer . . .
We're on the same level with the yard, so if the yard is dry I can stand in the door and watch Perry outside (he will go out without me during the day, but the times when he MUST potty- first thing in the morning, before bed - I stand there to make sure he does and that he doesn't come back in and want to go back out 10 minutes later). If the yard is wet then I have to walk out with him because he'll beeline for the patio to poop there (strangely, he'll pee in the damp grass, but doesn't want to poop there).
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Tux's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 845
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I'm seeing a commonality with some of these responses. WET GRASS is the enemy to be avoided at all costs. I guess I would feel the same way. LOL

Tux's Mom is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,010
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux's Mom View Post
I'm seeing a commonality with some of these responses. WET GRASS is the enemy to be avoided at all costs. I guess I would feel the same way. LOL
Yes, but only if it's slightly wet, and only if you want to poop on it. Peeing on it is ok (but only on the edge of it)... and if it's pouring down rain and the grass is soaking wet, that's ok too - not only to pee on, but to run around and play in.

These guys are so weird!
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Tux's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 845
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
After a quick study of the commonality of factors, I believe what is at issue is the proximity of the pointy wet blades of grass to the "under-tail" area. Running around in a rainstorm is a completely different study. I agree though, they are weird in a wonderful sort of way.

Tux's Mom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome