When to contact breeder regarding litter? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

 12Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HavaneseFloof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question When to contact breeder regarding litter?

Hi

I am on the waiting list of a breeder who just had puppies the 7th of March. I *might* get one of them, but don't know yet as she hasn't contacted me. When is it okay to send a message and ask about how things are going and where I stand in regards of the waiting list?

I saw it at her personal Facebook, and she wrote that she will keep all three females she got, and so it is five males available. She said last time we spoke that if she got a normal-sized litter, I would be okay. I am sooooo curious! But I'm trying to think that I won't get any, so I won't be too disapointed (even though I still probably will).

Anyone have any advise for me in this situation? Would Monday or Tuesday be okay? Then the pups would be 11 or 12 days old.
When do you as a breeder usually contact potential puppy buyers/people on your waiting list? @Tom King ?

Will hopefully get a havanese puppy in April/May EDIT: July?
HavaneseFloof is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,402
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaneseFloof View Post
Hi

I am on the waiting list of a breeder who just had puppies the 7th of March. I *might* get one of them, but don't know yet as she hasn't contacted me. When is it okay to send a message and ask about how things are going and where I stand in regards of the waiting list?

I saw it at her personal Facebook, and she wrote that she will keep all three females she got, and so it is five males available. She said last time we spoke that if she got a normal-sized litter, I would be okay. I am sooooo curious! But I'm trying to think that I won't get any, so I won't be too disapointed (even though I still probably will).

Anyone have any advise for me in this situation? Would Monday or Tuesday be okay? Then the pups would be 11 or 12 days old.
When do you as a breeder usually contact potential puppy buyers/people on your waiting list? @Tom King ?
I think it would be fine for you to contact her, say that you are excited and crossing your fingers that you might get one of her puppies. That way she'll know you are still interested, but at the same time, know you understand that there is still a possibility that you might not. You certainly don't want to be silent for so long that she thinks you have lost interest or moved on!
Heather's, Marni and HavaneseFloof like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HavaneseFloof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I think it would be fine for you to contact her, say that you are excited and crossing your fingers that you might get one of her puppies. That way she'll know you are still interested, but at the same time, know you understand that there is still a possibility that you might not. You certainly don't want to be silent for so long that she thinks you have lost interest or moved on!
Thanks @krandall . When do you think I should contact her? Now or wait until next week? I contacted her last the 4th of March and asked if the puppies had come yet, but they hadn't. I said I was aware I might not get one, but that I was hoping it would be my turn this time. So she should know I'm still interested.

Will hopefully get a havanese puppy in April/May EDIT: July?
HavaneseFloof is offline  
 
Old 03-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Ollie"s Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,548
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 58 Times in 58 Posts
I think you an contact her now and just do what Karen suggested. I donít think you are being pushy and I donít think the breeder will either.
krandall likes this.







Ollie"s Mom is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Jackie from Concrete, WA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,096
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 75 Times in 73 Posts
I agree. Contact her NOW! Don't be annoying but it never hurts to be a squeaky wheel! (Squeaky wheel is from the proverb "squeaky wheel gets the grease" in case they don't use this phrase in Norway!)
EvaE1izabeth likes this.



Jackie & Willow
Jackie from Concrete, WA is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HavaneseFloof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys!

I sent her a text today. I wrote: "Hi, how's it going with the little ones? Have you been able to figure out where I stand in regard to the waiting list?"
She hasn't replied yet, but I'm waiting with great excitement
gelbergirl, Heather's and Marni like this.

Will hopefully get a havanese puppy in April/May EDIT: July?
HavaneseFloof is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie from Concrete, WA View Post
I agree. Contact her NOW! Don't be annoying but it never hurts to be a squeaky wheel! (Squeaky wheel is from the proverb "squeaky wheel gets the grease" in case they don't use this phrase in Norway!)
I think all the now answers are right. After all, you are excited!

Jackie, I just want you to know that my Daddy used to say that the squeaky wheel gets the boot! As in, a kick.
EvaE1izabeth likes this.

Marni is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Gaston, N.C.
Posts: 3,058
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
Pam doesn't have any fixed schedule about when to contact people on the list. She intends to the morning after they are born, but whelping often involves a night, or two, without sleep, so sometimes it takes several days for things to calm down enough to get around to it.

Everyone is always anxious to know, but we really don't start to get an idea of the individual personalities until past 6 weeks, so definite placements don't come until after 8 weeks.

Someone might want a light colored, high drive male to do agility with, and someone else might want a dark female that is low energy, and wants to be a lap dog. One family might have busy children with no dog experience, and need the right one for their home. There are many, many possibilities, and then put on top of that if we are planning to keep one, it slows the whole process up.

Then, once people are contacted, one or more might have gotten tired of waiting, found a puppy somewhere else, and not told us. There are also many possibilities of bumps in the road. One might have a Husband on a trip that can't be contacted for several days, and so that puts the whole list on wait.

It's quite much more to the process of matching the best puppy for any given home than it might seem like. I think only once, or twice, did Pam go right down the list, and the first people were ready when we had the right puppy for them.

The list always changes, and sometimes even after the 8 weeks has passed, a family might have something come up that makes it not a good time for a puppy. After that, it might take a week or two for Pam to go down the list for people to decide if they are ready for one, with short notice, or might have given up waiting, and found one somewhere else, until she finds another good home.

So, short answer is that there is no fixed schedule, but it should be fine for you to contact your breeder.
krandall and HavaneseFloof like this.
Tom King is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HavaneseFloof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
Pam doesn't have any fixed schedule about when to contact people on the list. She intends to the morning after they are born, but whelping often involves a night, or two, without sleep, so sometimes it takes several days for things to calm down enough to get around to it.

Everyone is always anxious to know, but we really don't start to get an idea of the individual personalities until past 6 weeks, so definite placements don't come until after 8 weeks.

Someone might want a light colored, high drive male to do agility with, and someone else might want a dark female that is low energy, and wants to be a lap dog. One family might have busy children with no dog experience, and need the right one for their home. There are many, many possibilities, and then put on top of that if we are planning to keep one, it slows the whole process up.

Then, once people are contacted, one or more might have gotten tired of waiting, found a puppy somewhere else, and not told us. There are also many possibilities of bumps in the road. One might have a Husband on a trip that can't be contacted for several days, and so that puts the whole list on wait.

It's quite much more to the process of matching the best puppy for any given home than it might seem like. I think only once, or twice, did Pam go right down the list, and the first people were ready when we had the right puppy for them.

The list always changes, and sometimes even after the 8 weeks has passed, a family might have something come up that makes it not a good time for a puppy. After that, it might take a week or two for Pam to go down the list for people to decide if they are ready for one, with short notice, or might have given up waiting, and found one somewhere else, until she finds another good home.

So, short answer is that there is no fixed schedule, but it should be fine for you to contact your breeder.
Thanks a lot for a great answer! I don't think this breeder is as thorough as you guys, but what you said gives me a lot more insight into what might go on behind the curtains, if you know what I mean
Appreciate it

Will hopefully get a havanese puppy in April/May EDIT: July?
HavaneseFloof is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,402
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaneseFloof View Post
Thanks a lot for a great answer! I don't think this breeder is as thorough as you guys, but what you said gives me a lot more insight into what might go on behind the curtains, if you know what I mean
Appreciate it
And Tom's excellent explanation is how I got Kodi as "fast" as I did. I had talked to the Kings, and they had a lot of people on their waiting list who wanted girls... then they had a litter of five boys!!! So suddenly, from thinking I wouldn't get a puppy months, I was offered a puppy from a litter that had just been born, as long as I didn't "mind" having a boy. "Mind"? I was THRILLED!!! I couldn't POSSIBLY have found a better "partner" than Kodi has been for the last 10 years!!! He's my Best Boy!!!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome