Join Date: Nov 2017
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 21 Posts
Ugh, it really bugs me that this seems to be a common reaction from vets even though itís an optional vaccine. We opted to do it the first time around because of an immunocompromised family member but we did not renew it and donít plan to. There are many mutations of the virus and the vaccine doesnít protect against all of them. Iím not suggesting that you do or donít, Iím saying your vet being dismissive is annoying. I suggest looking into the types and frequency of the virus where you live and reading about it before you make the decision.
In my area infection is extremely rare.
From what I understand it is specifically recommended against for the Havanese breed unless it should be considered because of a breakout in a certain region, which I didnít know at the time. I thought it was like a lot of other vaccination controversies where everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Fortunately, my vet was not pushy about it, we discussed it and we knew there were SOME risks, I just didnít realize how common they are. I donít regret the decision we made at the time, but I feel extremely fortunate we didnít encounter the side effects and I personally donít think the benefits outweigh the risks in the future. We take the same precautions to prevent Lepto that we do to prevent giardia, which is super common in my region - we donít let our dog drink from standing water, streams, lakes, etc. and we donít let him chew on ďoutside stuff,Ē especially in dog parks.