Little Maggie will NOT go outside when sunny - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Junior Member
 
furfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 28
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is she food motivated? Maybe if you give her treats when she does her business outside in the daytime, she might come to have positive reactions to sunny days?
One of my dogs had a phobia of trash cans (she would try to drag me back inside the house), so I walked her down the block on trash day and gave her treats as we passed the cans. I only needed to do it once before she was okay with trash cans. Although she still doesnít like garbage trucks.
EvaE1izabeth likes this.
furfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
EvaE1izabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 821
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furfan View Post
One of my dogs had a phobia of trash cans (she would try to drag me back inside the house), so I walked her down the block on trash day and gave her treats as we passed the cans. I only needed to do it once before she was okay with trash cans. Although she still doesnít like garbage trucks.
That is funny because our dog loves to intently sniff trash cans and it grosses me out when my kids let him! Especially the ones in the pavilion in our neighborhood that often have picnic leftovers. I think I might be able to appreciate a healthy avoidance of trash cans from a dog
furfan likes this.
EvaE1izabeth is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by furfan View Post
...One of my dogs had a phobia of trash cans (she would try to drag me back inside the house), so I walked her down the block on trash day and gave her treats as we passed the cans. I only needed to do it once before she was okay with trash cans. Although she still doesnít like garbage trucks.
Perry has a lot of things he's afraid of... but his biggest right now is of the pillows on the couch They're fine as long as he doesn't have to touch them... or as long as none of them move... but if he accidentally runs into one OR even worse (the horror of horrors) if he accidentally runs into one and IT MOVES then he flies to the other side of the couch and stares at it as if it's going to follow him. If his toys go behind or on top of the pillows he won't get them, though we're working on that (I put them there deliberately to work on it) I refer to them as the evil pillows
Melissa Brill is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Cassandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 320
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
Cassie will not step on a manhole cover or any kind of grate, solid or not, on sidewalk. I forget about it until I notice she is weaving in and out of them when we walk on a commercial sidewalk (none on neighborhood streets fortunately). I donít try to teach her to walk on them because it seems like a smart choice from her perspective down there on ground. I donít walk on open grates in big cities myself so I understand her perspective. I never had a dog that did this before so it is slightly amusing to see her weave thru them like an obstacle course. Not sure I would call it a fear..more like her little brain is working at safety.
furfan and EvaE1izabeth like this.
Cassandra is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Junior Member
 
furfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 28
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My other dog likes to pee on trash cans as we walk around the block. Itís like heís claiming them.
EvaE1izabeth likes this.
furfan is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Wulfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 70
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furfan View Post
My other dog likes to pee on trash cans as we walk around the block. Itís like heís claiming them.
Or he's just leaving his Pee-Mail where he knows other dogs will check it

~ Just me .. waiting to bring Denver home mid-August ~
Wulfin is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
EvaE1izabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 821
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 24 Posts
Elevators are the new surprise for us. The first time it ever came up to take our dog in an elevator was in a hotel last week. He whimpered a lot, he did NOT like it! It never even occurred to me before.
EvaE1izabeth is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
grates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
Cassie will not step on a manhole cover or any kind of grate, solid or not, on sidewalk. I forget about it until I notice she is weaving in and out of them when we walk on a commercial sidewalk (none on neighborhood streets fortunately). I donít try to teach her to walk on them because it seems like a smart choice from her perspective down there on ground. I donít walk on open grates in big cities myself so I understand her perspective. I never had a dog that did this before so it is slightly amusing to see her weave thru them like an obstacle course. Not sure I would call it a fear..more like her little brain is working at safety.
Perry does the same thing! We aren't walking around in a city often, so it always startles me... when we're walking normally down the street, he's staying pretty close to me and then vroom - he's pulling off to the side or behind me because I've just walked over a grate and there is no way on this green earth that he's going to walk over it! lol.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaE1izabeth View Post
Elevators are the new surprise for us. The first time it ever came up to take our dog in an elevator was in a hotel last week. He whimpered a lot, he did NOT like it! It never even occurred to me before.
As afraid of everything as Perry is, I'm surprised that going on/ off the elevator and riding up doesn't bother him at all.
Melissa Brill is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome