@MaggieMay and gelbergirl: Thanks for the tips!
@gelbergirl: Thanks for the pic! Henry is such a cutie! One question, Is Henry already fully grown? I was wondering the size of the pen you are using and if he feels cramped at all (he seems very happy with it though).
OK. After scouring the forums and other helpful resources, I am thinking of the following setup:
- This crate to serve as her den. I am planning to move this crate from our bedroom to my office so I can keep an eye on him during the day. I am going to get the 24x18 crate because it seems that is the general consensus for the standard crate size for a Havanese. I also like the fact that it has a divider.
- Two of these pens, one to setup by the kitchen/breakfast nook/great room area and the other to setup in the loft area (as these are the two locations where we spend the most time). The small ones measure 36 x 36 with a height of 2 feet and the large ones measure 63 x 63 with a height of 34 inches. Right now I am up in the air as to which one to get. I am thinking about getting one large one and using 4 panels to build one and the other 4 panels to build the other one. As Bailey grows, i can get use the entire 8 panels for the downstairs pen and get another small (or large) one for the upstairs pen. Anyone with experience with these pens? I'd like to know if you are able to build two separate square pens with the 8 panel model.
- I also am planning for two bathroom accommodations (one on each floor). Later on when he can hold it more I want to also introduce him the idea of relieving himself outdoors. Also, Bailey is mostly white and my wife does not like getting his paws and fur dirty in the sand in our backyard (We live in AZ and just moved in so we haven't had the chance to put rock or pavers in our backyard yet). I want to use a litter box but my wife wants to use pee pads (Guess who wins this debate?!). I guess we will try pee pads first and switch to a litter box if Bailey discovers how much fun shredding pee pads is.
- I will only feed him in the downstairs pen since I want him to be comfortable eating there when we have to leave him alone in the house when we run errands.
- The upstairs pen will only serve as his nap/play/lounge area. Once he gets used to the idea of being alone (and gets more control of his bladder) I plan to put him there while I work as the loft area is just outside of my home office.
- I plan to put different doggie beds in the two pens (different from the one in her crate) for him to nap on. Will this work? Or do I need to put the crate in so he will get used to it?
Anything else I may have missed? Feel free to criticize my plan of action and offer changes where they may be needed. We have six days before Bailey comes home!
On a sadder note, My mom just told me that Orange, our 17 year old Pomeranian is showing early signs of organ failure due to old age. She was our first dog but had to leave her with my parents when we moved (long story). She is still up and about and eating and eliminating regularly but the vet pretty much said that her condition can't be reversed (vet also ruled out surgery) because of her age. With Bailey coming home to us and then this news from my parents make you realize how much of a emotional roller coaster caring for a puppy really is.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!