Do puppies trash when tired? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Hav Noob
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do puppies trash when tired?

I've noticed that my 11 weeks old Hav starts behaves very erratically about 1 hour before bed time. He starts by playing, but he seems to get overexcited, nip more aggressively, run, bark and growls, and when finally I say, ok that's it, time to kennel up, he just crashes and falls asleep.

Do puppies, like babies get trashy (if that's a word) when tired?
10477 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Linda
 
HavaneseSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 5,409
Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
I never heard of the saying. When Dexter was a puppy, he would go through wild moments and my Dh and I had to take Dexter outside and run him back and forth to wear him out. Dexter was great after the exercise and he would go to sleep. I remember also all the napping puppies do while they are young also.



Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Jen, Timmy and Mae
 
jabojenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 1,672
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 16 Posts
Trashy, that's a funny word. I have a 12 week old and I do notice that one moment he's running around and in seconds he's crashed out on his bed. He's normally a silly guy and barks at everything anyway whether tired or not so I can't help you there. I do notice that when we come in from doing his business outside he's a mad man (RLH'ing) but I think he's trying to warm himself up.

How's your potty training journey going? Are you doing pads, litter, outside or both? Have you given him any baths yet? Timmy hates getting a bath!

Let's see some pics!

jabojenny is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Becky Chittenden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: POWELL, TN
Posts: 1,056
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mine all do the RLH in the evening. It's been over a year (almost 2 since we had a puppy), but when bed time came, they went right to bed.

Becky C
Becky Chittenden is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Lizzie'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lizzie still does that at almost 2. She goes nuts after her last time out for potty around 10:30-11 and then we go to bed!

Lynne-Lizzie's mom
Lizzie'sMom is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
It sounds like a little kid who doesn't to go to sleep because he will miss something. If they keep moving, it will keep away sleep. It never works. They always crash but the stuff they do to try to keep awake.... oh boy.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Clair&Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 50
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixo777 View Post
I've noticed that my 11 weeks old Hav starts behaves very erratically about 1 hour before bed time. He starts by playing, but he seems to get overexcited, nip more aggressively, run, bark and growls, and when finally I say, ok that's it, time to kennel up, he just crashes and falls asleep.

Do puppies, like babies get trashy (if that's a word) when tired?
Yes! Puppies are exactly like babies IMO. I'm a nanny and a new Hav owner and there are so many similarities between the baby I look after and my 4 month old Bear, it's uncanny.

Bear does the same thing as your pup and has been since she was around 10 weeks old. She goes absolutely mental and I know it's time for sleep. She runs around like crazy, growling, barking (it's the only time she ever barks) and plays aggressively with her toys. Oh she also digs in the couch and I've noticed she digs in her bed too so that's another sign she's tired. Most of the time she'll take herself off to bed but, like children, sometimes she says "I'm not tired!" so I have to take her. It's normal puppy behaviour, I'm no expert but I have spent a lot of time watching Bear and now I know all the signs.. when it's potty time, when she's hungry and when she's tired!

__________________


Clair&Bear is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair&Bear View Post
Yes! Puppies are exactly like babies IMO. I'm a nanny and a new Hav owner and there are so many similarities between the baby I look after and my 4 month old Bear, it's uncanny.

Bear does the same thing as your pup and has been since she was around 10 weeks old. She goes absolutely mental and I know it's time for sleep. She runs around like crazy, growling, barking (it's the only time she ever barks) and plays aggressively with her toys. Oh she also digs in the couch and I've noticed she digs in her bed too so that's another sign she's tired. Most of the time she'll take herself off to bed but, like children, sometimes she says "I'm not tired!" so I have to take her. It's normal puppy behaviour, I'm no expert but I have spent a lot of time watching Bear and now I know all the signs.. when it's potty time, when she's hungry and when she's tired!
I just love your little Bear Maddie did the digging thing but it turned into a bad habit I had my chair in the area where I set up to leave her while I worked she was never alone more than a few hours at a time but she managed to ruin my favorite chair vary fast. So I would discourage the digging on furniture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chair.jpg (729.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg chair maddie.jpg (665.8 KB, 3 views)

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Member
 
Clair&Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 50
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I just love your little Bear Maddie did the digging thing but it turned into a bad habit I had my chair in the area where I set up to leave her while I worked she was never alone more than a few hours at a time but she managed to ruin my favorite chair vary fast. So I would discourage the digging on furniture
Oh no your poor chair!! Phew, I'm glad I do discourage it because I love my new couches!! Thanks for the heads up Should I stop the digging in her bed too?

__________________


Clair&Bear is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Luciledodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,496
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Suzi you will know next time you get a puppy what to discourage. I am old so didn't ever let Rosie dig in or on the furniture. Josie Wales also doesn't sharpen her claws on my furniture--cats can be trained for somethings--like their lives. lol But Rosie did dig in our bed at night. drove me nuts. then I realized that she was just making a nest, so I put puffy throw on the bed for her to fix just like she wanted. Then when winter came and I put the down comforter on the bed, she made her "nest" behind my knees. That continued on when spring came. And she still does her play fetch rlh thing every night before bedtime.
Luciledodd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome