New Pup! what height needed for a gate/ fence? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
KarenL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile New Pup! what height needed for a gate/ fence?

Hi All! So excited to be getting my first Havanese May 23rd! It has been so fun to see this forum! planning on putting a baby gate across one of my kitchen doorways, and will need another long section partitioned off where my diningroom meets the livingroom..what height is needed to keep the little one in, until potty trained? any good brands that are not too expensive...for the longer section, or ideas on making your own ? thanks for any replies!

Karen
KarenL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Gucci's mom
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 9,378
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 11 Posts
I use just a regular baby gate...cheapy one from Target.

However, if you are looking for something more elegant for a living room..you can find some really nice wooden gates at Moorepet, or Frontgate

http://www.moorepet.com/Wood-Gates-s/437.htm

http://www.frontgate.com/pet-product...-stairs-ramps/

Congratulations on your puppy and to the forum!

Kara
Thumper is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We use a regular baby gate too. I bought an octagon ex-pen with a waterproof floor and got the taller sides but he never tried to jump out even when his "cot" bed was in there elevating him up off the floor. www.seabreezepetitepens.com is where we got the ex-pen. Loved it! It's on loan to a friend with a new puppy now and they love it also.

Traci

Our furbaby Bentley turned 6 in January.

mycutiepatooties is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Alcibides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 399
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
We went for a freestanding fence to block off the kitchen from the front hall/dining room (expensive but beautiful) and the 24 inch height is fine. Congrats on your new puppy. Enjoy.http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...Row=0&srccode=

Alcibides is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Evelyn
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 4,652
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I got this one from amazon...worked beautifully to block a large area that a baby gate wouldn't work it. Free standing and adjustable. Very stable.
Gosh, I can't believe it has been 2 years since we brought her home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1260181.jpg (1.90 MB, 4 views)

whimsy is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 89
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy View Post
I got this one from amazon...worked beautifully to block a large area that a baby gate wouldn't work it. Free standing and adjustable. Very stable.
Gosh, I can't believe it has been 2 years since we brought her home.
I have the same ones! Agree - they are very stable. I love that these can be easily moved wherever you want them. Joey could walk right through the tension mounted baby gates that I originally used. The bars are much closer together on these dog gates than the baby gates I had.

Congratulations on your puppy!
LJS58 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
KarenL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
bay gates

Thanks so much everyone for your input ! on the Baby Gates !
KarenL is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Linda - Sasha's Mom
 
sashamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 283
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycutiepatooties View Post
We use a regular baby gate too. I bought an octagon ex-pen with a waterproof floor and got the taller sides but he never tried to jump out even when his "cot" bed was in there elevating him up off the floor. www.seabreezepetitepens.com is where we got the ex-pen. Loved it! It's on loan to a friend with a new puppy now and they love it also.
Are they still in business?

Linda & Sasha
sashamom is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Member
 
goiter6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 43
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed some odd custom sizes so I made my own fences.
Note these were for one step down rooms so I felt I could go lower on height and went for ~22'.

Materials:
Wooden closet clothes rod
3' dowels of ~0.5"
1"X4" pine board

First, I sawed the board and clothes rod to length.
Second, I sawed the dowels in half.
Third, with a drill press I drilled sockets for the dowels in the clothes rod and board every 2 inches.
Fourth, I glued the dowels between the two and held the entire thing together with pipe clamps.
Fifth, I made the legs with left over boards (I went overkill and made the legs longer than the height).
I should have put some felt on the one that was on tile to keep it from scratching the floor (ended up giving the wife an excuse to get a new floor).

That was effective, looked decent, and the supplies were fairly inexpensive (~$30 for 2 8' sections)
goiter6 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,462
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goiter6 View Post
I needed some odd custom sizes so I made my own fences.
Note these were for one step down rooms so I felt I could go lower on height and went for ~22'.

Materials:
Wooden closet clothes rod
3' dowels of ~0.5"
1"X4" pine board

First, I sawed the board and clothes rod to length.
Second, I sawed the dowels in half.
Third, with a drill press I drilled sockets for the dowels in the clothes rod and board every 2 inches.
Fourth, I glued the dowels between the two and held the entire thing together with pipe clamps.
Fifth, I made the legs with left over boards (I went overkill and made the legs longer than the height).
I should have put some felt on the one that was on tile to keep it from scratching the floor (ended up giving the wife an excuse to get a new floor).

That was effective, looked decent, and the supplies were fairly inexpensive (~$30 for 2 8' sections)
OK, you're makin' us all look bad.... _I_ sure don't have the skills (let alone the drill press!) to make my own gate! I'm sure it's pretty, though!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome