Hyperactive Pickles! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
veridea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 49
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hyperactive Pickles!

Hi again! Pickles is 11 and a half weeks old now! When I get a chance, I'll post more photos of my wee pup! But for now, I just need a bit of advice. I work from 9-5, and my boyfriend works from home and is with Pickles most of the time. When I come home, Pickles LOSES it. Running, nipping, whining, everything! We've tried taking him outside for another walk in the park immediately, and that seems to help a little, but it's basically just impossible to calm him down for the next hour or so.

I know he's just excited to see me, but is there any way to curb the hyperactivity?
veridea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,726
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Try to make your entrance and exit non eventful. Minimal acknowledgement. Here's an article http://www.cabq.gov/pets/documents/hyperdog.pdf

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,463
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Of course the advice Dave is giving you is good. But also remember that puppies, like small children, often have a "witching hour" in the early evening, which is right when you get home. Use Dave's advice to manage the behavior for now, but also remember that it will probably wane over time anyway.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
 
Flynn Gentry-Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helen, Georgia
Posts: 2,745
Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
If your boyfriend is home, why not have him walk Pickles outside where he does not see you arrive about 10 minutes before you arrive and then see what Pickles does when he walks in and you are already there...but don't talk excitedly to him when he comes in, just act like you and he have been together all day..(flame suit on, as I don't know if others will agree with this)..lol

Sir Winston sez "Non Basta Una Vita.

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,463
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Gentry-Taylor View Post
If your boyfriend is home, why not have him walk Pickles outside where he does not see you arrive about 10 minutes before you arrive and then see what Pickles does when he walks in and you are already there...but don't talk excitedly to him when he comes in, just act like you and he have been together all day..(flame suit on, as I don't know if others will agree with this)..lol
That can work, Flynn! It can take off the excess energy the puppy is likely to build up around that time of day anyway, and also just change the "coming home" dynamic enough to settle things down. It might be a very good way to break the cycle they are in. In the long run, it's important that Pickles learn to greet people entering the house in a less, um, "enthusiastic" way, but he (she? I can't remember) is still a puppy, and SOME of the behavior will lessen just with age!

Sometimes management, (like what you've suggested) rather than correction, is the best way to make it through the puppy stages!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Linda - Sasha's Mom
 
sashamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 283
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
That can work, Flynn! It can take off the excess energy the puppy is likely to build up around that time of day anyway, and also just change the "coming home" dynamic enough to settle things down. It might be a very good way to break the cycle they are in. In the long run, it's important that Pickles learn to greet people entering the house in a less, um, "enthusiastic" way, but he (she? I can't remember) is still a puppy, and SOME of the behavior will lessen just with age!

Sometimes management, (like what you've suggested) rather than correction, is the best way to make it through the puppy stages!
What age does is ease off? LOL Right now I have two jumping, begging for attention when I walk in after being gone maybe two minutes. LOL The puppy Rango will be nine months in a few days and Sasha is 7 yrs. Linda

Linda & Sasha
sashamom is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Member
 
J and Paul Anka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oxford Ohio
Posts: 56
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Of course the advice Dave is giving you is good. But also remember that puppies, like small children, often have a "witching hour" in the early evening, which is right when you get home. Use Dave's advice to manage the behavior for now, but also remember that it will probably wane over time anyway.


haha, that is exactly what I call it, PA's witching hour! He cannot be around people around 7 ish! He just goes nuts. I usually just have to confine him for a little bit to get him to calm down, sometimes it's just because he is tired!

J

J
J and Paul Anka is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,463
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashamom View Post
What age does is ease off? LOL Right now I have two jumping, begging for attention when I walk in after being gone maybe two minutes. LOL The puppy Rango will be nine months in a few days and Sasha is 7 yrs. Linda
It's the "witching hour" that eases up. The good greeting behavior has to be taught. It's just hard to teach ANYTHING when a young puppy is totally over-wound. So at that point, management is a better option.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,463
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J and Paul Anka View Post
haha, that is exactly what I call it, PA's witching hour! He cannot be around people around 7 ish! He just goes nuts. I usually just have to confine him for a little bit to get him to calm down, sometimes it's just because he is tired!
Yes, with Kodi, it was very much like a toddler, trying to work themselves up so they don't fall asleep and miss something! At times, we not only had to pup him in his crate, but also had to COVER his crate so he couldn't see us. Usually within very few minutes, he would be SOUND asleep.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
BennyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 258
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree - make your arrival home uneventful and don't go straight to the dog. Since I am the 'alpha' in this house, I make sure to greet my kids and husband before even looking at that dog.

After a bad experience with a pup who thought he was above my youngest son in the pecking order, the most important thing in my house is that the dog know he is at the bottom of the pile.

As for the witching hour - agree with that too! Usually when my husband and I sit down after dinner to chat, Benny starts freaking. That's when I call one of the boys to take him outside and run the crap out of him - he loves it!

BENNY
BennyBoy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome