Meeting new people - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Meeting new people

When we first got Millie she would happily run and greet anyone. No fear. A week ago my trainer came here and kind of fell over as she went down to meet her. It definitely startled her an she was scared of my trainer for the first part of the lesson but by the time she went home Millie would eat treats out of her hand and didn't mind if she was close.
Ever since then , Millie has been shy to meet people outside of our immediate family. Small children she will run up to without any sign of fear. Everyone else we need to give treats and she will take it from them immediately but if they move at all she will run and then come back for more treats.
Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice would be wonderful. I am always so worried that I have ruined her.
Thanks!
Sarah
Sarahdee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,865
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 119 Times in 117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
When we first got Millie she would happily run and greet anyone. No fear. A week ago my trainer came here and kind of fell over as she went down to meet her. It definitely startled her an she was scared of my trainer for the first part of the lesson but by the time she went home Millie would eat treats out of her hand and didn't mind if she was close.
Ever since then , Millie has been shy to meet people outside of our immediate family. Small children she will run up to without any sign of fear. Everyone else we need to give treats and she will take it from them immediately but if they move at all she will run and then come back for more treats.
Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice would be wonderful. I am always so worried that I have ruined her.
Thanks!
Sarah
sorry if I missed something., what was the trainer there for.?

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
sorry if I missed something., what was the trainer there for.?
She comes to my house for training classes. Teaching me how to teach Millie the basic commands. Sit, stay, loose leash walking etc.
Sarahdee is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I should clarify. The trainer had met Millie twice already. Millie was running to greet her and as she went to pet her she fell a little bit and startled her. I don't know if this has anything to do with how Millie is acting now. It's just the first time that I noticed that Millie was scared of a person.
Sarahdee is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,865
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 119 Times in 117 Posts
ask her why this might be happening. Better to work on this than training other things.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sarahdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 214
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
ask her why this might be happening. Better to work on this than training other things.
Ok, I haven't seen her since it happened. I asked her at the time what I should do in a situation like that. She said to never force a puppy to greet someone. Just tell them to stand still and offer her e a treat. That's what we have been doing. Anyone who comes over and wants to pet her has to stay still and hold a treat. Once she takes a few treats from them, we tell them to make her sit and give her a treat as a reward. She does this and eventually seems to warm up to them. Does this sound right? She never growls but has barked.
Sarahdee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome