What age did your puppy sleep through the night? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
What age did your puppy sleep through the night?

I'm getting my puppy at 10 weeks old. I'm expecting to have to take it out for potty breaks at night at first. I'm just curious how many potty breaks should I expect it to need, and at what age it's likely to be able to go all night without having to go potty?
Havamum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, it will be sleeping in a crate in my bedroom at first. My bedroom is on the second floor and has a little balcony off it. Can I take the puppy to pee on a potty pad on the balcony at night (it is currently puppy pad trained) or do I have to go downstairs and out into the yard? I don't want it to continue using pads indoors so I don't want to confuse it..
Havamum is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Piper's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 66
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Piper at 10 1/2 weeks and if I remember correctly, she was able to hold it all night right from the get go. She'd go out for a potty right before bed (usually around 11pm) and she'd sleep until 6/7am, which then I'd take her right downstairs and outside for her morning potty. She might be the exception not the norm though. She's my first dog so I don't have much to compare to. Growing up my parents always got to experience the middle of the night puppy fun, if there was any.


Last edited by Piper's Mom; 04-24-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Piper's Mom is offline  
The Following User Nominates Piper's Mom Great Photo:
Cody010414 (04-24-2014)
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Pipers Mom! I hope that I'm that lucky too! My last puppy woke at night but she was younger when I got her, and it was so long ago I don't remember when she finally slept all night long. I'm from Ontario too! Any chance you got Piper from Talemakers?
Havamum is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Piper's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 66
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havamum View Post
Thanks Pipers Mom! I hope that I'm that lucky too! My last puppy woke at night but she was younger when I got her, and it was so long ago I don't remember when she finally slept all night long. I'm from Ontario too! Any chance you got Piper from Talemakers?
I did! Piper is actually from Paula Martel of Pocopayasos up in Sudbury, but she spent about a month at Talemaker's and Nathan and Darlah are who we picked her up from. Piper's dad is Truffie We try to take Piper over to visit whenever possible as well. I sent you a private message, as I thought I recognized that fish bed from your other thread!

Piper's Mom is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Pucks104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,362
Submit Photo: 36
Photo Submissions 60 Times in 60 Posts
I brought Leo home at 10.5 weeks and the first couple nights I got up with him once but mostly after he slept all night. I kept a small crate on a little table by my bed for Leo to sleep in. If he whimpered I would slip my fingers into the crate and he would settle. Just be sure to take the pup out the last thing at night and first thing in the morning.


Pucks104 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper's Mom View Post
I did! Piper is actually from Paula Martel of Pocopayasos up in Sudbury, but she spent about a month at Talemaker's and Nathan and Darlah are who we picked her up from. Piper's dad is Truffie We try to take Piper over to visit whenever possible as well. I sent you a private message, as I thought I recognized that fish bed from your other thread!

Truffles is the dad for my puppy too! Spice is the mom, we've got stepsiblings! . Piper is beautiful I wonder if mine will silver out like that too, is there a way to tell? How much did Piper end up weighing? I don't see any private message from you, I wonder if I accidentally erased it or am looking in the wrong spot?

Sounds like I won't have too many sleepless nights then, that's a relief!
Havamum is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Molly120213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 3,610
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 150 Times in 149 Posts
One thing I learned with my puppy is that even if you think you have them figured out - you don't. Mine slept through the night for the first few nights but then started waking up around 2 am to go out. Since we were having such a harsh winter I made her use an indoor option for these middle of the night potty times. Just take her outside all the other times and it shouldn't confuse her. The need to go out during the night will pass quickly.



Diane and Molly
Molly120213 is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly120213 View Post
One thing I learned with my puppy is that even if you think you have them figured out - you don't. Mine slept through the night for the first few nights but then started waking up around 2 am to go out. Since we were having such a harsh winter I made her use an indoor option for these middle of the night potty times. Just take her outside all the other times and it shouldn't confuse her. The need to go out during the night will pass quickly.
Ok thanks. I think I will get a couple puppy pads for the balcony and just do that if she wakes up, it's covered from the rain. Im so glad I have a spring puppy, this winter was so awful, I cant imagine having to potty train thriugh it!
Havamum is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Piper's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 66
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havamum View Post
Truffles is the dad for my puppy too! Spice is the mom, we've got stepsiblings! . Piper is beautiful I wonder if mine will silver out like that too, is there a way to tell? How much did Piper end up weighing? I don't see any private message from you, I wonder if I accidentally erased it or am looking in the wrong spot?

Sounds like I won't have too many sleepless nights then, that's a relief!
You are going to have so much fun with that Spicy/Truffie pup! I'm excited there's another Talemaker puppy person on the forum now, we seem to be few and far between. Silvering is all about genetics. I'm not 100% on how it's passed down, but Piper's mom was completely silvered out as well (like N&D's Kat, if you ever met him) so that's where she got it from. Two of Piper's litter mates are black & white partis and have kept their black. When we picked up Piper she was already silvering around her eyes and down her spine slightly. I think Piper's about 10.5lbs now.

I just checked my sent messages, I must not of completely clicked the send button. Sorry about that!

Piper's Mom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome