I have some questions - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Havanese in hearth :)
 
djoks_93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 16
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile I have some questions

Hello to all members
I love this breed and i meet this breed before 2 months so i dont know a lot about this breed, and have some stuffs about this breed what make me confused so i want ask here. (sorry if i didnt put thread on right place on forum, im new here so i dont know where to put this).


So its about bichon havanese my first question is bichon habanero and bichon havaneser same dog becaause when i founding i have different results, bichon habanero is showed like short coat and is smaller, bichon havanese have longer hair and is taller and longer. Bichon habanero look like this on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNi5W_Y-238 , and bichoon havaneser who have my grilfriend is shavanese but he is longer and taller a lot than this habanero. This is her dog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtpPncCxud0 , and video of her dog on back legs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDQ89axnc8. So peoples tell me why some of thems are taller and longer, and why some are little and shorter?

My second question why some of then have long hair like this https://images.akc.org/breeds/action...s/havanese.jpg, and some of them have coat like this http://jaybanks.ca/images/2013/04/Th...ia-Commons.jpg . I like more this one on first pic with long hair so how to know as puppy how will be his coat?


Also why havanese with long coat have longer tail?

My next quiestion is, i hear that dogs with short hair (shavanese) peoples dont keep with thems because that dogs are like have some fail so if somebody have dog like that i will like better to be my dog then to be on street

That is enough for now when i remember something yet i will ask,
here are some videos of my girlfriend dogs shavanese named benji, i really love how that dog looks he have nice coat.

Here are some Benji's videos on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-...aYIjmsG6L3yG5Q

Last edited by djoks_93; 07-01-2014 at 06:47 AM.
djoks_93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,544
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 336 Times in 334 Posts
I think the only difference between Bichon Habanero and Bichon Havanese is the country. Here in the U.S., they are just "Havanese". even though theya re part of the "Bichon group" of breeds, we don't use Bichon as part of the name.

Just like every breed, there is a fair amount of variation even within Havanese that fit within the breed standard. My Havanese is at the very top of the height standard, at 11.5", and a Havanese as small as 8.5" tall is also within standard. that's a pretty big size range! Then there are the many "pet quality" dogs who are outside of the standard. It isn't THAT uncommon to find a Havanese that is close to 20 lbs (and not because it is fat!) It doesn't make these dogs out of standard any less valuable as pets, it just means that they can't be shown and shouldn't be bred.

As far as your girl friend's cutie is concerned, you already know that his coat type, while it does show up in some lines of Havanese, is not eligible for the show ring. His tail is also not correct for a Havanese. It is too "loose" and down't curl up over his back. It's hard to tell from the videos, but from what you have said about his size, he is probably over size too. That of course has NOTHING to do with him as a pet! He looks adorable, is a very pretty dog, and I am sure he's a great pet. But he does not conform to breed standards.

The fact that he is long isn't an issue… Havanese are long too. You would see that if you ever saw one wet! They are not anywhere near as long as a dachshund, nor do they have short, dwarfed legs like a dachshund. But they are still considered a long backed breed. The reason a Havanese in full coat doesn't look long is two fold. First, their hair hides the fact that their body is shallow from top to bottom. Also, the fact that their tail curls forward over their backs, gives the impression that their back has less length.

The differences in coat length among the dogs you have posted is simply that some people choose to keep their pet Havanese in a "puppy cut" to make grooming easier. They still have the same coat, it keeps growing, and if they are not clipped regularly, they will soon look like the long coated dogs! (well, it DOES take about 3 years for a coat to develop fully, so it doesn't happen over night!) This is very different from a genetically short haired Havanese, like your girl friend's dog. Dogs with that coat type do NOT have coats that keep growing. Instead, they shed their coats twice a year like most other breeds of dog.

As far as how you will know whether your puppy will be a long haired Havanese or not, the first answer is that there is an easy DNA test for the short hair gene. Ask your breeder if her dogs have been tested. If the parents don't carry the short hair gene, they will not produce short haired puppies. If you really want to work with a breeder who hasn't done this testing, there are still more long haired dogs produced than short haired dogs. By the time the puppies are ready to go home, long haired Havanese will already be quite fluffy, and, more importantly, will have much more hair on their muzzle than short haired dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoks_93 View Post
Hello to all members
I love this breed and i meet this breed before 2 months so i dont know a lot about this breed, and have some stuffs about this breed what make me confused so i want ask here. (sorry if i didnt put thread on right place on forum, im new here so i dont know where to put this).


So its about bichon havanese my first question is bichon habanero and bichon havaneser same dog becaause when i founding i have different results, bichon habanero is showed like short coat and is smaller, bichon havanese have longer hair and is taller and longer. Bichon habanero look like this on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNi5W_Y-238 , and bichoon havaneser who have my grilfriend is shavanese but he is longer and taller a lot than this habanero. This is her dog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtpPncCxud0 , and video of her dog on back legs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDQ89axnc8. So peoples tell me why some of thems are taller and longer, and why some are little and shorter?

My second question why some of then have long hair like this https://images.akc.org/breeds/action...s/havanese.jpg, and some of them have coat like this http://jaybanks.ca/images/2013/04/Th...ia-Commons.jpg . I like more this one on first pic with long hair so how to know as puppy how will be his coat?


Also why havanese with long coat have longer tail?

My next quiestion is, i hear that dogs with short hair (shavanese) peoples dont keep with thems because that dogs are like have some fail so if somebody have dog like that i will like better to be my dog then to be on street

That is enough for now when i remember something yet i will ask,
here are some videos of my girlfriend dogs shavanese named benji, i really love how that dog looks he have nice coat.

Here are some Benji's videos on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-...aYIjmsG6L3yG5Q


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
The Havanese has hair like a human. It is constantly growing. It doesn't naturally stay the same length like a Labrador Retriever's or Doberman's fur would. Some owners choose to cut or shave their Havanese's hair shorter into a "puppy cut".

That is what the dog in the first video had. I usually keep my Jack in a puppy cut. After a month or so, he starts to look like the third video. If I didn't trim his hair for a year, his hair would grow out super long. What length you keep their hair is up to the owner.

A Shavanese is different. They don't seem to grow their hair any longer than a couple of inches. That is why they don't meet the standard of the breed.

TTFN,
Pam


Last edited by morriscsps; 07-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.
morriscsps is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
LOL! Karen & I always post the same thing at the same time but she explains it so much nicer.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,544
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 336 Times in 334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscsps View Post
LOL! Karen & I always post the same thing at the same time but she explains it so much nicer.
I just use more words.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Havanese in hearth :)
 
djoks_93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 16
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you a lot for you both get some time to answer me really thanks a lot. Can be possibility that Benji is mix of havaneser and of some other breed because have longer body, longer and different tail and shorter legs than standard havanese?

I love benji a lot i wanted to buy him from her, but she wont it sell it.


You want say all clear blood havaneser have coat like http://www.vdh.de/welpen/uploads/zrfancy/183_800.jpg just peoples do puppy cut and they look shorter hair?

Here i cant buy havaneser peoples dont sell it, i must find some way to find it in other country but first i need get some money but that dog will share house with me in future just i need earn some cash. And when i get cash did anyone will help me to find real blood havanese?

Sorry if im too boring but i want know all about this breed because i want have these dogs they are so friendly, cute little dogs!!
djoks_93 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,544
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 336 Times in 334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoks_93 View Post
Thank you a lot for you both get some time to answer me really thanks a lot. Can be possibility that Benji is mix of havaneser and of some other breed because have longer body, longer and different tail and shorter legs than standard havanese?

I love benji a lot i wanted to buy him from her, but she wont it sell it.


You want say all clear blood havaneser have coat like http://www.vdh.de/welpen/uploads/zrfancy/183_800.jpg just peoples do puppy cut and they look shorter hair?

Here i cant buy havaneser peoples dont sell it, i must find some way to find it in other country but first i need get some money but that dog will share house with me in future just i need earn some cash. And when i get cash did anyone will help me to find real blood havanese?

Sorry if im too boring but i want know all about this breed because i want have these dogs they are so friendly, cute little dogs!!
UNless Benji has registration papers, he could certainly be a mix. But except for his tail, there is nothing about him that could not be a purebred short haired Havanese… And even some purebred Havanese have poor tail sets. It's just a fault.

I know there are many HAvanese breeders in Europe. So if I were you, I would continue to research, learn who are the good Havanese breeders, and when you have enough money, (well bred Havanese are NOT inexpensive!) work with a breeder you like and respect.

And yes, unless they have the short haired gene, there should be no worry. The coat of your Havanese will grow as long as you want it to!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Havanese in hearth :)
 
djoks_93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 16
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Karen a lot really because i love more long hair to the floor and i was been afraid what if i get havanese with not long hair because i didnt know that growing so long because i was found over pictures and mostly dogs looks short hair (thing what i didnt know until today "puppy cut") here to my puppy will not be hot by wheater because country is not warm so he will need only cut hair to dont move hair on land or floor. Can you tell me just how much is prices of these breed i mean from how much to how much money go this breed of dog. I wish a lot luck and happy and wins to you and Kodi.

And when i get money, did will be problem to you help me to find dog because you know a lot about breed so i wont fake breed, for me is important to dog is healthy and that his hair growing nice, color is not important so much!

Last edited by djoks_93; 07-01-2014 at 07:06 PM.
djoks_93 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,544
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 336 Times in 334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoks_93 View Post
Thank you Karen a lot really because i love more long hair to the floor and i was been afraid what if i get havanese with not long hair because i didnt know that growing so long because i was found over pictures and mostly dogs looks short hair (thing what i didnt know until today "puppy cut") here to my puppy will not be hot by wheater because country is not warm so he will need only cut hair to dont move hair on land or floor. Can you tell me just how much is prices of these breed i mean from how much to how much money go this breed of dog. I wish a lot luck and happy and wins to you and Kodi.

And when i get money, did will be problem to you help me to find dog because you know a lot about breed so i wont fake breed, for me is important to dog is healthy and that his hair growing nice, color is not important so much!
You've got the right idea! Health and temperament should always be your top priority! If you want to keep your Havanese in a long loat, you should also look for a breeder who doesn't produce dogs with curly coats. While curly coats are not out of standard, they are VERY difficult to manage if you aren't a professional. Havanese with just a slight wave to their coat, and not too dense undercoat, like Kodi's are MUCH easier for pet owners to maintain. Every person I know with a curly coated Havanese has given up trying to keep a long coat, and has the dog in a puppy cut.

As far as price is concerned, in the U.S.A, a well bred Havanese puppy from a good breeder, will typically cost between $1,800 and 2,500 U.S. I don't know what prices are like in Europe.

And Kodi says thank you! We have two trials in the next four days, so we are keeping our fingers crossed!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is online now  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
There is a French member, DebbyTutton, on the forum who recently got a puppy. She would be a good source for European breeders.

Another place to look for breeders are dog shows. You can get information and names. The people there would know other people and who may have puppies or dogs retiring from the show ring.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
Reply

Tags
bahanero , great dog , havanese , i love thems , nice dogs

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome