How do you save your back while grooming? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Zenith360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you save your back while grooming?

Hello, I am the happy new mama of a now 14 week old Havi, Sam. He is my first Havanese. I have taken Sam once to the groomer's for a bath, face trim, and feet trim, and other than that I just continue bathing him and brushing him regularly at home. I expect we'll need to go back the Groomer's for a real haircut eventually, but probably not for awhile (I think I prefer the hair a little longer).

My question for you all is... How (in your house) do you groom in a way that is comfortable on your body? Do you buy a grooming table? Do you use a table you already have in your house and somehow convert it to a grooming table? Do you sit in a chair and groom the dog in your lap?

I have an illness that causes severe spinal arthritis, so I'm trying to learn both what is most comfortable for Sam and what is easiest on my body.

Just wondering what has worked well for other people. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Zenith360 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Owned by a Havallon
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 432
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a grooming table that is always set up so there when needed. I do something to my dogs every day. We have ticks and fleas so check and comb them often. The eye boogers and teeth are cleaned each day too. I groom my dogs myself and they are a work in progress. Seems I always need to take a snip here or there since they grow out unevenly. One of my best investments was a grooming table and I love having it setup and available as needed.
seesawhavanese likes this.
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Cassandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 341
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of coat you end up keeping your Havanese in. We keep Cassie in a puppy coat and have groomer come to our house every 8 weeks for cut etc. In between, I mostly groom her....laying across my lap while I watch TV! She loves it, according to people who look at the blissful expression on her face. I do it almost every day with a fine comb to keep any of the fine undercoat from building up and her ears, which are long. But, I only get away with that approach (lap combing) because her hair is so short. Also, during her puppy "coat blowing" period, couldn't have done it that way.
Cassandra is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,016
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
For brushing and combing I just do that in my lap. Perry's in a puppy cut so I only bring out the grooming table (a grooming stand that sits on the table) when I need to give him a haircut, and in that case I put it on the table. If I use the kitchen table then I can stand next to it (it's a pub height table), but if I use the table on the patio (most often) which is a normal table height, I bring out one of the kitchen chairs to sit on (pub height chair) which puts me at the perfect height.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Molly120213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 3,436
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 138 Times in 137 Posts
I brush and comb either sitting with her on my lap or with her standing on top of the washing machine. I just put a towel or non slip pad on the washer and it is the perfect height to groom her.



Diane and Molly
Molly120213 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 479
Submit Photo: 9
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
We play ďHair CombingĒ and cleaning the eyes most mornings sitting on the floor. Fourteen-month old, Patti puppy bites my hands or the comb, while squirming around on the floor. Initially, I purchased cheap combs and brushes because I had spent so much on the dog, ex-pen and other paraphilia. Since, then Iíve purchased Chris Christians combs and a brush. The tiny 006 comb can be used over the whole body if your dog is in a puppy cut. Itís my favorite comb. Itís particularly good for the face, ears and feet. The large 005 comb is great for long hair. The brush is good for smoothing.

Patti is in a short puppy cut, but Iím letting it grow out to a longish puppy cut. Puppy cuts are easy to comb and maintain.

Someone on the forum recommended Warren London Ė Guava- Mangosteen Hydrating Butter Leave In Condition to be used when combing dry hair to keep it from breaking off. Itís good for the dogís skin and coat. I put this all over Patti every time I brush her. It smells good and must taste good as she loves! licking it. In between baths it keeps the hair looking and smelling good. My little one has access to a fence yard and she is in and out many times a day playing with a Golden-doodleÖ rolling around in grass. I, also, use a Freshening Spritz by Hartz which freshens and deodorizes the hair. Keeps the dog smelling good.

I take Patti to the groomer for a bath or groom every other week. I have a grooming table, I use when I occasionally bath her or need to do a little trimming. Pattiís much better on the grooming table at the Groomer than she is for me. :-( During the summer I wonít have access to a groomer and will have to bath and do more trimming Ö which Iím not looking forward to doing.
Mikki is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,016
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
We play ďHair CombingĒ and cleaning the eyes most mornings sitting on the floor. Fourteen-month old, Patti puppy bites my hands or the comb, while squirming around on the floor. Initially, I purchased cheap combs and brushes because I had spent so much on the dog, ex-pen and other paraphilia. Since, then Iíve purchased Chris Christians combs and a brush. The tiny 006 comb can be used over the whole body if your dog is in a puppy cut. Itís my favorite comb. Itís particularly good for the face, ears and feet. The large 005 comb is great for long hair. The brush is good for smoothing.

Patti is in a short puppy cut, but Iím letting it grow out to a longish puppy cut. Puppy cuts are easy to comb and maintain.

Someone on the forum recommended Warren London Ė Guava- Mangosteen Hydrating Butter Leave In Condition to be used when combing dry hair to keep it from breaking off. Itís good for the dogís skin and coat. I put this all over Patti every time I brush her. It smells good and must taste good as she loves! licking it. In between baths it keeps the hair looking and smelling good. My little one has access to a fence yard and she is in and out many times a day playing with a Golden-doodleÖ rolling around in grass. I, also, use a Freshening Spritz by Hartz which freshens and deodorizes the hair. Keeps the dog smelling good.

I take Patti to the groomer for a bath or groom every other week. I have a grooming table, I use when I occasionally bath her or need to do a little trimming. Pattiís much better on the grooming table at the Groomer than she is for me. :-( During the summer I wonít have access to a groomer and will have to bath and do more trimming Ö which Iím not looking forward to doing.
The only tool I really use is the CC 006 comb (since Perry is in a puppy cut) - I do have a CC pin brush too which I will use when he's a little shaggy, but the comb does the trick for the whole body AND is great for the feet and face because the comb is so short!

Mikki - how does the hydrating butter conditioner smell (I saw that you said it smelled good)? Is it really strong? Is it really chemically or more in your face fruity? I'd love to get some , but really strong smells, especially ones that are chemically (like cleaners) or really strong floral smells (for some strange reason) will trigger my migraines... many fruity smells (as in when they smell like actual fruit) don't (I know, weird).
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 479
Submit Photo: 9
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
The only tool I really use is the CC 006 comb (since Perry is in a puppy cut) - I do have a CC pin brush too which I will use when he's a little shaggy, but the comb does the trick for the whole body AND is great for the feet and face because the comb is so short!

Mikki - how does the hydrating butter conditioner smell (I saw that you said it smelled good)? Is it really strong? Is it really chemically or more in your face fruity? I'd love to get some , but really strong smells, especially ones that are chemically (like cleaners) or really strong floral smells (for some strange reason) will trigger my migraines... many fruity smells (as in when they smell like actual fruit) don't (I know, weird).
The Warren London Hydrating Butter Conditioner does NOT have a strong smell. Its first ingredients are Guajava & Mangosteen & Water - fruits. It has a very mild, soothing scent, you barely notice. I freshens the hair. The label says it moisturizes and adds natural nutrients to the skin and silky hair.

Directions: For use on a dry coat. Apply a small amount to your hands. Rub into skin and coat. Absorbs quickly. Don't wash off.

There's no build up, except it keeps the hair shiny, soft and fluffy. It's $12.00 on Amazon.com.
Mikki is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Zenith360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions, everyone! I think I am going to buy a grooming table. For daily brushing, having him in my lap is working great. But after a bath, it is more convenient for him to be on a table standing where I can hold the hair dryer and brush him at the same time.

I made up my own little grooming table here at home, put a towel on top of it, and thought it was pretty spiffy... but once I started grooming, Sam lost track of where the edge of the table was and just kind of slipped right off!! I was soooooooo horrified!! Thankfully he didn't seem to be hurt, just surprised by the experience. I think a grooming table with a loop will be good for us so this can't happen again.
Zenith360 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,016
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith360 View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, everyone! I think I am going to buy a grooming table. For daily brushing, having him in my lap is working great. But after a bath, it is more convenient for him to be on a table standing where I can hold the hair dryer and brush him at the same time.

I made up my own little grooming table here at home, put a towel on top of it, and thought it was pretty spiffy... but once I started grooming, Sam lost track of where the edge of the table was and just kind of slipped right off!! I was soooooooo horrified!! Thankfully he didn't seem to be hurt, just surprised by the experience. I think a grooming table with a loop will be good for us so this can't happen again.
When I first got Perry I didn't think I needed a grooming table (this is the one I have https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) -- my only experience with home grooming was my Mom's scotty and his previous groomer had done such a good job training him that when my Mom does him he jumps onto the kitchen table himself (chair then table) and then stands perfectly still - she doesn't have to put a leash on him or anything- until she's done. Perry was not quite so good. He wasn't bad, puts up with the grooming pretty well, but he likes to wander so I always had to keep one hand on the leash - and I'm not a good enough groomer to do the rest one handed .

So I got the stand - and it's a nice size because I can stick it on top of a cupboard when we're not using it and then put it on the kitchen table or the patio table when I need to groom him. The loop keeps him in one place and not wandering off (though of course I still never ever leave him on it without me right there). the only funny thing is that he doesn't like to stand with his back to the pole - so I'm constantly maneuvering him to get his other side

I don't blow dry Perry after a bath (another advantage of a puppy cut in a warm climate) so the table is really only used for haircuts, but it was definitely worth the investment.
Melissa Brill is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome